Rehearsal Setlist according to RIAB

Sfam2112

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Echoes @ Jun 28 2010, 08:28 PM)
Hmm...is it possible they knew it would leak and intentionally played a few songs they wont be playing tomorrow just to throw us off?  tongue.gif

See that's the same sort of thinking I have, only I don't think Rush does that. For them there's probably too much at stake to play 2 fake rehearsals so close to the 1st night of the tour. They probably would really need those 2 practices to get everything right with the songs, the lights, the video, the sound and all that.

I mean did Geddy sit around a table with the guys and say: "Hey I know! Let's go and re-learn Presto, Leave that Thing Alone, and Faithless! And then we'll play those and some others for a fake setlist during the only 2 nights we'll get to have a dress rehearsal! Why? Well just in case someone's hiding inside a potted plant and leaks our set!"

So I'd say more than likely this set is the real deal.

Also to curb future disappointment I think it's a great idea for the members of Rush to stop name dropping songs they're going to play on the upcoming tour in interviews period. It not only takes the excitement / guesswork away, it just looks dumb when they decide to NOT play one of those mentioned songs like it looks is what's happening to Jacob's Ladder.

EDIT: Oh and did you ever think you'd see the day where so many people would bitch at a set that included The Camera Eye, Marathon, LVS, Vital Signs, and Working Man?

Edited by Del_Duio

To everyone complaining about hearing Presto...

I've always thought the song was just mediocre. But we have never heard it in a live setting. Think of how the heavy live sound will be, replacing the paper thin sound of the album? THAT makes me excited, because I see myself liking this song ALOT more after experiencing it live.

Just a small thought...

However on the entire setlist I will also say that upon a first look, I was really dissapointed. But after some reflection, I know that this show will rock. We get some rarities, some really kick-ass songs, and don't forget Neil's new drum set, Geddy's orange amps, andthe giant video screen!! The song list is only a portion of the entire show, the performance and setting is still there to make up for poor song choices...maybe tongue.gif

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Jun 28 2010, 09:09 PM)
QUOTE (Echoes @ Jun 28 2010, 08:28 PM)
Hmm...is it possible they knew it would leak and intentionally played a few songs they wont be playing tomorrow just to throw us off?  tongue.gif

See that's the same sort of thinking I have, only I don't think Rush does that. For them there's probably too much at stake to play 2 fake rehearsals so close to the 1st night of the tour. They probably would really need those 2 practices to get everything right with the songs, the lights, the video, the sound and all that.

I mean did Geddy sit around a table with the guys and say: "Hey I know! Let's go and re-learn Presto, Leave that Thing Alone, and Faithless! And then we'll play those and some others for a fake setlist during the only 2 nights we'll get to have a dress rehearsal! Why? Well just in case someone's hiding inside a potted plant and leaks our set!"

So I'd say more than likely this set is the real deal.

Also to curb future disappointment I think it's a great idea for the members of Rush to stop name dropping songs they're going to play on the upcoming tour in interviews period. It not only takes the excitement / guesswork away, it just looks dumb when they decide to NOT play one of those mentioned songs like it looks is what's happening to Jacob's Ladder.

Lulz, I was half kidding xD

And hey, your name sounds familiar. You responded to one of my Rush medleys on youtube, right? I saw the one you did on bass. Epic shit bro.

Well if they're not playing Jacob's Ladder anymore I guess the question is: Why not?

Like it's been said it's one of the easier Rush songs to sing range-wise so that can't be it. Plus there's not even that many places where he actually sings. Hmmm...

In another thread we were talking on how Geddy can't play a lot of the older material the same way due to his new plucking flamenco style. Is it possible that playing JL with this method is way too hard for him now?

Or maybe it's just so easy for them they skipped it until opening night. I guess we'll see soon enough. cool.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jun 28 2010, 09:26 PM)
Ive always liked Presto, and am glad if they play it. I also thought it would have made a good song for the "unplugged" section.

Yeah but it's probably the full band treatment since it's so early on in the show.

I don't think anybody has issues with Presto being played anyhow. I think it's cool they're representing the album with a song you wouldn't expect.

QUOTE (Sfam2112 @ Jun 28 2010, 02:06 PM)
SPOILERS!!

http://www.rushisaband.com/display.php?id=2204#more

Here it is, apparently...

Set 1

1. The Spirit of Radio
2. Time Stand Still (last played on Counterparts tour)
3. Presto (never played live)
4. Stick It Out (last played on Test For Echo tour)
5. Leave That Thing Alone (last played on Vapor Trails tour)
6. Workin' Them Angels
7. Faithless (never played live)
8. BU2B (new song - never played live)
9. Freewill
10. Marathon (last played on Presto tour)
11. Subdivisions

Intermission

Set 2

12. Tom Sawyer
13. Red Barchetta
14. YYZ
15. Limelight
16. The Camera Eye (last played on Signals tour)
17. Witch Hunt
18. Vital Signs (last played on Vapor Trails tour)
19. Caravan (new song - never played live)
20. Drum Solo
21. Alex Solo (Hope?)
22. Closer to the Heart (last played on Vapor Trails tour)
23. 2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx

Encore

24. Far Cry
25. La villa Strangiato (last played on R30 tour)
26. Working Man (last played on R30 tour)

well here's what my dream setlist and this setlist have in common:

Spirit of Radio (I had it closing the show, not opening)

Time Stand Still (I also had this as the 2nd song of the set)

Workin' Them Angels (I also had this in the first half)

Closer to the Heart (I had it closing the first half)

Far Cry (I had it beginning the encore)

La Villa Strangiato (I had placed it after the drum solo/Alex's acoustic bit)

Working Man (I had it opening the show)

(and of course Moving Pictures and Caravan/BU2B)

Here's what I would take out and replace:

Freewill (replace with Jacob's Ladder or even Entre Nous)

Subdivisions (replace with either Analog Kid or New World Man)

2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx (replace with Xanadu only if the Grand Finale is not included)

Overall I think this is a better setlist than S&A 2008 with the inclusions of The Camera Eye, Vital Signs, Leave That Thing Alone, La Villa Strangiato, and Working Man

After having my fiance peek at the setlist I couldn't resist after I named off songs I wanted and she replied "a lot of those aren't on there"

I don't think this setlist is real. It's good, but not a true 'time machine' setlist.

QUOTE (krlowe @ Jun 28 2010, 09:57 PM)
After having my fiance peek at the setlist I couldn't resist after I named off songs I wanted and she replied "a lot of those aren't on there"

I don't think this setlist is real. It's good, but not a true 'time machine' setlist.

interesting. so you think there are curveballs being thrown?

we'll see.

Count up the number of tracks, of the 26, that were recorded 20 years ago or less. You might change your mind. The vast majority are old songs by any definition.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 28 2010, 09:59 PM)

we'll see.

I think someone is throwing us through a loop. Didn't this happen the last tour? I peeked and the setlist was WAY different? Am I wrong??

QUOTE (krlowe @ Jun 28 2010, 10:02 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 28 2010, 09:59 PM)

we'll see.

I think someone is throwing us through a loop. Didn't this happen the last tour? I peeked and the setlist was WAY different? Am I wrong??

i'm not sure. i just kept hearing revamped setlist revamped setlist and i just saw the setlist on opening night.

I won't be surprised if the "official" setlist is different than this...

If it's true, I love that La Villa is back. That to me is worth the price of admission. I also love Leave That Thing Alone.

It would be disappointing if Jacob's Ladder wasn't played since Alex mentioned it and all, but oh well...Whatever they go with is just fine to me. I'll just be glad if I can go to the show...

One theory about the absence of JL: I remember it being mentioned that both JL and TCE were going to be shortened versions. Maybe they are actually going to play the full version of The Camera Eye (for the entire MP album..) and because of time restraints are eliminating JL, perhaps? (maybe moving to the 2011 tour?) confused13.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 28 2010, 09:56 PM)
Yeah a Score Out post would come in handy right now, but a few select members of this Forum bashed him relentlessly so we wont hear from him.

FOH Lights, however, has not been subjected to the same needless bashing or maybe just doesn't care as much, so we may hear from him yet...

Who are these people?

Sorry I'm new.

I'm not going to bother quoting anyone because I'm too tired to go back and find the posts, but I have a lot of thoughts on this.

I totally agree with the person who talked about the lack of "coveted" songs here. Yes, there is a lot of classic material here, just nothing out of the ordinary from that period, where the few songs from the later period do have the surprises we might have preferred from the older stuff. I think most would agree that if there were only going to be 1 or 2 surprises, we'd prefer them to be from the older stuff. Circumstances, Entre Nous and Bangkok are way better than anything being played on this tour, at least on the basis of being stuff from the classic period that the hard cores would want to hear. And honestly, at this stage of Rush's career, I think they ought to play a little more for the hard cores.

I don't think they would play anything that's not going to be played, but I could see where they might omit a song or two.

This list does seem a couple of songs short. For S&A, they played 28 songs. For R30 they played 29. For VT, they played 29. For T4E they played 28 and one of those was the complete 2112.

The idea that songs from the mid-late 80's are "old" is off base. Where Rush is concerned, generally speaking, Moving Pictures was the last of the "old" Rush. Anything more recent is "new". (Signals took some getting used to, BTW, but it's among my favorites.)

Again, I have no complaints about the new stuff they chose. I like the songs. People are more pissed about what isn't there than what is.

Edited by amish_ashaman