Has listening to Rush ever made you cry?

jonfiredaman02

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never actually cried - but I did have my brother sobbing once when I played the solo to Hear Again. The guy lost it in the middle of a performance which was very surreal to me. When you're playing it you don't really get a chance to get "emotional" beyond trying to get your guitar to say everything you have ever wanted to but couldn't.

The closest I've come to actually getting bent up is the funeral dirge in By-Tor and the Snowdog. The studio version that is.

Even when I play it live and get to that part I am literally bubbling inside. Sometimes it translates to runny eye sockets but the overall feeling you get is that of utter emotional devistation and a build up that makes you literally want to smash your guitar over someone's head (usually the drummer).

This subject is the very reason why so many of us love this Band. Music to me is all about feeling something. Whether it prods you into anger or takes you back to a place you miss dearly - it always takes you somewhere. Even the "newer" stuff has its moments.

Music is emotion. Very few bands can do it like RUSH!

QUOTE (Space Ghost @ Jun 28 2010, 01:59 PM)
There's been numerous times throughout the past 3+ decades when the music of Rush has made me a least a bit misty eyed or even cry. The one instance I recall vividly is in January of '08...I had been in constant pain for months from Krohn's Disease, I was depressed, and my wife and I decided to separate. I was an absolute mess and for the first and only time in my life, I contemplated suicide. Knowing that "The Pass" & "Bravado" were back-to-back on RiR, I put them on and I bawled and kicked and screamed like I was a baby. One of the heaviest moments of catharsis I've ever experienced and I'm not kidding or over-exaggerating when I say this...Rush saved my life that day.

I'm glad you had those two songs to listen to.

2.gif

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jul 5 2010, 07:33 PM)
(not fishing for pity here)

I have been in a bit of a depression lately.  My marriage has been rocky, and I have not been happy at all...except for Rush.  Rush makes me happy!  For the first time since the Snakes and Arrows tour in '08, I am looking forward to something!  I can't wait to see them again!  I will see them twice within a week or so...and I will catch another show if I am able.  I also am in the early stages of planning for a trip to Toronto next summer for the tour and (hopefully!) a RushCon. 

Between my son and Rush, I have something to care about.  I wouldn't have a reason if it wasn't for those two things.  I have been pretty deep in my depression lately.  Everything else seems to fall away when I sit with my son and listen to Rush.  And, suddenly, I have something to live for. 

So, needless to say, Rush makes me cry!  I get misty eyed at EVERY concert I attend! 

I love Rush...

hug2.gif

Rush has gotten me through some terrible times too so I understand what you're feeling. Hang in there.

Kismet

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Jul 6 2010, 06:20 PM)
Nobody's hero doesn't make me cry but it does give me a weird feeling when I listen to it, especially the live version on different stages.

Same applies here! Time Stand Still is an emotional one for me as well.

2.gif

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Jul 6 2010, 05:20 PM)
Nobody's hero doesn't make me cry but it does give me a weird feeling when I listen to it, especially the live version on different stages.

Interesting you should say that, I was thinking the same thing.

It really makes me reflect on what heroes really are.

Afterimage, Time Stand Still, Bravado and especially Ghost Of A Chance have sparked an array of emotions in me. Awe, sympathy, empathy, sorrow and yes, even tears. After I had a near death experience back in 2000 and ever since, some RUSH songs really remind me of every thing I could have lost and more importantly every thing I have to live for. Neil's lyrics sung by Geddy with Alex's moving guitar solos can be a very emotional experience for me. Throw in some percussion and bass slapping and it's sometimes tough to hold back tears of joy.

Fountain of Lamneth always gets me on that last chord that fades back in.

Nobody's Hero the first time I listened to it after losing a great friend to AIDS. (sad tears)

At various times while seeing them in concert just because of the impact they have had on me and the fact they can still be so vibrant. (happy tears)

Of course, I cry at the drop of a hat in movies too (gets many "I love you" looks from the wife).

Archived