Has listening to Rush ever made you cry?

jonfiredaman02

Many songs bring tears to my eyes, usually tears of joy because I just love and appreciate them so much! But some literally have made me bawl in the past like

Losing It - I relate to this song on a very personal level since I have a chronic disease that has disabled me from doing things that I once was able to do very well, and loved doing.

Mission - the song inspires and saddens me at the same time. The last 2 minutes of that song is one of my favorite musical segments of all time by Rush.

Red Sector A - simply due to the content of the lyrics

Subdivisions - arguably my all time favorite Rush song, on so many levels. Love the melody and arrangement, and especially the lyrics. I've never been one to conform, usually by choice, and that song just spoke to me when I was growing up.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have to say Nobody's Hero used to choke me up a bit. Subdivisions also. But no outright crying, no.gif

K

Entre nous every time from now on!

Yes, both times I've heard Subdivisions live. I become a blubbering mess, and probably will again in August.

I have a very strong attachment to that song.

So when the people that wrote it are standing in front of you, actually playing it, well, it's a lot.

Bravado, Nobody's Hero and Afterimage.

The first time I heard GUP was the first time I'd heard a CD (as opposed to vinyl) on my friend's brand new CD player. Paul died in a bike accident in the 90s and although we had "drifted apart" and only really did Christmas cards, his dad gave me that actual CD when he cleared out the house. So Afterimage is particularly meaningful for me.

And, a bit oddly, I found myself choked up during Neil's solo during the S&A tour. Took me completely by surprise. I had to pretend my beer had gone down the wrong way. smile.gif

(not fishing for pity here)

I have been in a bit of a depression lately. My marriage has been rocky, and I have not been happy at all...except for Rush. Rush makes me happy! For the first time since the Snakes and Arrows tour in '08, I am looking forward to something! I can't wait to see them again! I will see them twice within a week or so...and I will catch another show if I am able. I also am in the early stages of planning for a trip to Toronto next summer for the tour and (hopefully!) a RushCon.

Between my son and Rush, I have something to care about. I wouldn't have a reason if it wasn't for those two things. I have been pretty deep in my depression lately. Everything else seems to fall away when I sit with my son and listen to Rush. And, suddenly, I have something to live for.

So, needless to say, Rush makes me cry! I get misty eyed at EVERY concert I attend!

I love Rush...

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jul 5 2010, 07:33 PM)

I have been in a bit of a depression lately.  My marriage has been rocky, and I have not been happy at all...except for Rush.  Rush makes me happy!  For the first time since the Snakes and Arrows tour in '08, I am looking forward to something!  I can't wait to see them again!  I will see them twice within a week or so...and I will catch another show if I am able.  I also am in the early stages of planning for a trip to Toronto next summer for the tour and (hopefully!) a RushCon. 

Between my son and Rush, I have something to care about.  I wouldn't have a reason if it wasn't for those two things.  I have been pretty deep in my depression lately.  Everything else seems to fall away when I sit with my son and listen to Rush.  And, suddenly, I have something to live for. 

So, needless to say, Rush makes me cry!  I get misty eyed at EVERY concert I attend! 

I love Rush...

hug2.gif It will get better, buddy. And with Rush, well. Anything can happen. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jul 5 2010, 06:33 PM)

I have been in a bit of a depression lately. My marriage has been rocky, and I have not been happy at all...except for Rush. Rush makes me happy! For the first time since the Snakes and Arrows tour in '08, I am looking forward to something! I can't wait to see them again! I will see them twice within a week or so...and I will catch another show if I am able. I also am in the early stages of planning for a trip to Toronto next summer for the tour and (hopefully!) a RushCon.

Between my son and Rush, I have something to care about. I wouldn't have a reason if it wasn't for those two things. I have been pretty deep in my depression lately. Everything else seems to fall away when I sit with my son and listen to Rush. And, suddenly, I have something to live for.

So, needless to say, Rush makes me cry! I get misty eyed at EVERY concert I attend!

I love Rush...

hug2.gif

Rush makes me cry, sure. The Pass does it every time. So does Nobody's Hero and Red Sector A. Tears is another one.

There are more, but this will do for now.

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jul 5 2010, 10:49 PM)
Oh jeez.

I've at least choked up a little listening to:

The Fountain of Lamneth, Subdivisions, Losing It, Between The Wheels, Middletown Dreams, Time Stand Still, The Pass, Available Light, Bravado, Everyday Glory, and Vapor Trail

Vapor Trail? I LOVE that song! So awesome... cool.gif

So many emotional moments in Rush songs...I can't name them all!! cool.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 5 2010, 10:19 PM)
Broken Record Response:

"The Sphere" and "Ghost Of A Chance" while being played at my wedding.

Once in a blue moon at a show even though it is a "Far Cry." laugh.gif

Why would you play Ghost of a Chance at your wedding?

I guess you interpret it as an optimistic song. I always thought the opposite. I always thought Neil was saying how there is a ghost of a chance, meaning a very slim chance, that we will find someone who we truly love "and make it last". We are bound to be unhappy in our love lives. But that's just me laugh.gif

Only once. At the house we used to rent when I was 21 - there were horseshoe pits on the side of the house. We used to put the speakers from my stereo in the 2nd floor bathroom window right above where we played. So it was way too hard to skip songs. Fly By Night on cassette would be blaring out the windows. Ahh.... so awesome to be tossing shoes, middle of summer, beer in hand, lots of laughs, and Rush to make it perfect.

Then Rivendell would come on and I couldn't do a f***ing thing about it. I think I cried, then.

Archived