Journey before Steve Perry

sfuentes

I've been enjoying Journey in their progressive rock format. The albums put out before Steve Perry came along seem to showcase more talent and complexity compared to the albums put out in the 1980's.

Also, the Dunbar/Rolie pair is much more enjoyable to listen to than Smith/Perry. 1022.gif

I've not heard any of the Journey songs prior to Steve Perry. But I do like Journey circa 1978 through 1981 (Infinity, Evolution, Departure, Escape)

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jun 27 2010, 02:07 AM)
All are great albums. The best Journey has ever done.

Aynsley Dunbar for President! common001.gif yes.gif common001.gif trink39.gif

He also played with Jefferson Starship.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 26 2010, 05:16 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 26 2010, 04:57 PM)
I love the debut album and Next. the 2nd album is ok.

Whatch you talkin' bout "Spaceman?" trink39.gif

Excellent song and probably my favorite Journey album. Topaz is cool, too. They sounded then like exactly what they started as, an off-shoot of Santana. I can't dog on the Perry-era stuff, it's cool, espcially Infinity. It just became a different band.

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Jun 27 2010, 11:07 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 26 2010, 05:16 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 26 2010, 04:57 PM)
I love the debut album and Next. the 2nd album is ok.

Whatch you talkin' bout "Spaceman?" trink39.gif

Excellent song and probably my favorite Journey album. Topaz is cool, too. They sounded then like exactly what they started as, an off-shoot of Santana. I can't dog on the Perry-era stuff, it's cool, espcially Infinity. It just became a different band.

Yes! "Topaz" is excellent and the first three albums are very Santana influenced. Never thought of that.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jun 26 2010, 01:26 PM)
They have that instrumental that sounds a lot like Tom Sawyer...or is it the other way around cool.gif

Nickel and Dime ....

Interesting doood! I will have to listen to that song tonight. I don't recall that.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jun 26 2010, 11:07 PM)
All are great albums. The best Journey has ever done.

Aynsley Dunbar for President! common001.gif yes.gif common001.gif trink39.gif

Dunbar has my vote! trink39.gif

His drumming on the 1987 "Whitesnake" album is fantastic too.

Signed,

"Crying In The Rain"

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 27 2010, 01:31 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jun 26 2010, 01:26 PM)
They have that instrumental that sounds a lot like Tom Sawyer...or is it the other way around  cool.gif

Nickel and Dime ....

Interesting doood! I will have to listen to that song tonight. I don't recall that.

Yeah Earl, the famous little keyboard riff Geddy does right before the solo sounds very similar to the riff Schon plays in Nickel and Dime...i only really payed attention to it after reading an interview with Journeys manager, and he claimed that both Rush and Kansas ripped off Journey....who knows?

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jun 26 2010, 03:26 PM)
They have that instrumental that sounds a lot like Tom Sawyer...or is it the other way around cool.gif

Nickel and Dime ....

Actually sounds more like Xanadu and as they were both released in 1977 (Journey's Next and Rush's Farewell to Kings) then it is hard to say who copied who or was this one of those cosmic coincidances. unsure.gif

QUOTE (BU4B @ Jun 27 2010, 03:55 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jun 26 2010, 03:26 PM)
They have that instrumental that sounds a lot like Tom Sawyer...or is it the other way around  cool.gif

Nickel and Dime ....

Actually sounds more like Xanadu and as they were both released in 1977 (Journey's Next and Rush's Farewell to Kings) then it is hard to say who copied who or was this one of those cosmic coincidances. unsure.gif

"Xanasawyer"

I just Nickel And Dimed myself to death. I can hear both Rush songs in there.

I think they are great in both periods. They just became a different band with Perry

Archived