Favorite Classic '80s Arcade Game?

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

What's your Favorite Classic '80s Arcade Game?  

263 members have voted

1. 1. What's your Favorite Classic '80s Arcade Game?

• Arkanoid
    • Asteroids
    • Berzerk
    • Centipede
    • Defender
    • Dig Dug
    • Donkey Kong
    • Double Dragon
    • Frogger
    • Galaga
    • Galaxian
    • Gauntlet
    • Joust
    • Mario Bros.
    • Millipede
    • Missle Command
    • Mortal Kombat
    • Ms. Pac Man
    • Night Driver
    • Pac Man
    • Phoenix
    • Pole Position
    • Punch Out!
    • Q-Bert
    • Qix
    • Robotron: 2084
    • Sinistar
    • Space Invaders
    • Spy Hunter
    • Stargate
    • Star Wars
    • Tempest
    • Tetris
    • Tron
    • Xevious
    • Zero Wing
    • Zaxxon
    • Sports game (specify)
    • Other (specify)

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 12 2005, 07:24 PM)
I have been playing Dig Dug and Bosconian with my 7 year old...we have two of these little arcade game thingies that plug into the TV A/V slots. We have these two...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Board%20Pics/walloffame_1840_29378022.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Board%20Pics/walloffame_1840_29817103.jpg

Anyway, Dig Dug is driving me batty. I KNOW I used to be better at playing this stuff. Now, I ROCK on Pac-Man. biggrin.gif And Xevious? I love it, but I can't DO it. ARGH!!!!!!

It just shows that the simple games are the most enjoyable and are kind of making a big comeback....I loved Dig-Dug. I hated it when the little green dragons came after you breathing fire laugh.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 6 2005, 10:25 PM)
For those old enough to remember...which game cost you more quarters than the rest?

I would say mine was Roadblasters by Atari (which came out around 1988-1989). I spent $2000 in quarters on that game. LOL. biggrin.gif 2.gif Rules!

Edited by Ru5h F@n

I voted for Tempest, but it's really a toss up between that and Battle Zone. I probably spent over half my meager disposable income on those games when I was in high school and college. Also, while not my favorite, my twin sister and I could finish Wizard of Wor playing in two-player mode on just two or three quarters.

QUOTE (Hypatia @ Apr 25 2005, 02:43 PM)
I voted for Tempest, but it's really a toss up between that and Battle Zone. I probably spent over half my meager disposable income on those games when I was in high school and college. Also, while not my favorite, my twin sister and I could finish Wizard of Wor playing in two-player mode on just two or three quarters.

Well I'll be darned. That has to be one of the most syntactically sophisticated paragraphs I've come across here in heaven knows how long. Where exactly were you in high school and college?

QUOTE (physics23 @ Apr 25 2005, 04:48 PM)

Well I'll be darned. That has to be one of the most syntactically sophisticated paragraphs I've come across here in heaven knows how long. Where exactly were you in high school and college?

I honestly don't know if you are poking fun or not, but I went to a rural high school in Pennsylvania that was better at producing gas station attendents than college grads (given the number of each from my graduating class) and attended college at Penn State University, where I got a degree in Physics/Astronomy/Math.

Am I really the only Battle Zone fan here?!? How 'bout the original Star Wars (another vector graphics game - maybe I'm just a vector graphics fan?)? "Great shot, kid, that was one in a million!" The sequel was fun, too, taking out AT-ATs and AT-STs.

QUOTE (Hypatia @ Apr 26 2005, 08:37 AM)

I honestly don't know if you are poking fun or not, but I went to a rural high school in Pennsylvania that was better at producing gas station attendents than college grads (given the number of each from my graduating class) and attended college at Penn State University, where I got a degree in Physics/Astronomy/Math.

Am I really the only Battle Zone fan here?!? How 'bout the original Star Wars (another vector graphics game - maybe I'm just a vector graphics fan?)? "Great shot, kid, that was one in a million!" The sequel was fun, too, taking out AT-ATs and AT-STs.

Not only is it rare to encounter a person who is meticulously attentive to the accepted conventions of capitalization and punctuation even in such informal channels as these, it is even more uncommon that this person should have had no formal academic education in the English arts, and hence all the more impressive. My wonder, however, does not end there; for there is a quality in your writing that transcends the technical, the systematic, and the grammatical proprieties so often and tragically waived in our day. Indeed, your choice of words and singular manipulation of syntax demonstrates a clear tendency toward the aesthetic, the artistic, the colorful mode of communication, all the while staying clear and concise.

I assure you I am wholly sincere in my praise.

smile.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 26 2005, 12:21 PM)
How's THAT for syntax, Physics? Huh? sarcasm.gif

As someone who listed literature as their second interest after music, you had secured my admiration from day one. smile.gif

http://forum.chip.co.id/images/smilies/extra/reading.gif

What do you say we petition the admins to add that smilie to the list?

I'd like to cast an honorable mention vote (which I can't, I know, but work with me here) for Xevious. My son has this and kept wanting ME to try...I finally gave in, and now I love it. Pisses me off at the same time, though...stupid bombs coming from all directions, just when you think you're safe. mad.gif

biggrin.gif

I voted for Tempest, but it's really a toss up between that and Battle Zone.  I probably spent over half my meager disposable income on those games when I was in high school and college.  Also, while not my favorite, my twin sister and I could finish Wizard of Wor playing in two-player mode on just two or three quarters.

Physics - Let me start by saying that I think you are a special person - a great one.

But this statement feels like an insult. You could have complimented her without insulting the rest of us.

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Apr 26 2005, 08:57 PM)
I voted for Tempest, but it's really a toss up between that and Battle Zone.  I probably spent over half my meager disposable income on those games when I was in high school and college.  Also, while not my favorite, my twin sister and I could finish Wizard of Wor playing in two-player mode on just two or three quarters.

Physics - Let me start by saying that I think you are a special person - a great one.

But this statement feels like an insult. You could have complimented her without insulting the rest of us.

I don't think that was his intent. I assume he was talking in general, not just this forum.

My english sucks - always has.... but I can rap better than anyone here.

QUOTE (physics23 @ Apr 26 2005, 03:59 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 26 2005, 12:21 PM)
How's THAT for syntax, Physics? Huh? sarcasm.gif

As someone who listed literature as their second interest after music, you had secured my admiration from day one. smile.gif

http://forum.chip.co.id/images/smilies/extra/reading.gif

What do you say we petition the admins to add that smilie to the list?

If we can make it happen with only two votes, I'll sign up, Physics. wink.gif

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Apr 26 2005, 07:57 PM)

My_Shrimp_Cot, I appreciate your candidness. I regard any feedbak on my writing as criticism of the most constructive kind, and I am grateful that you shared your opinion. In fact, I'm even happier you did so publicly. This is a rather glum way to start my day, but I will have something to ponder on my drive to Be'er Sheva this morning.

I'm afraid barney_rebel's evaluation, on this rare occasion, is imprecise. I did mean here. Maybe it's like one of those capitalist paradoxes: if everyone were rich, there'd be no wealthy class - there'd be no meaning to the word rich because it is a relative term and the criteria for its application change as the world changes. So the only way for there to be a rich person is for there to be a poor person too. But does it work the same way with art? No, it probably doesn't. No one can offer an objective scale along which the musical talents of Britney Spears and Mozart can be gauged. Which leaves us with the question of whether language syntax is an art. Well, most linguists will tell you it isn't. There are rigid guidlines that determine what is correct and what is not. Some linguists, though, especially in recent decades and with the advent of the Internet, claim that it's time we redefined or at least expanded our

Crap, I'm not gonna have time to finish this. Maybe the edit button'll still be here when I get back. I'm just trying to say,

Imprimis, I ought to have exercised better discretion before and I shall take better care to do so in the future.

Secondly, it not my place - or anyone's - to judge another person's syntax.

Well one last thing I may end up deleting in the final draft of this disquisition, but here goes:

You are in the (perhaps unfortunate) position of being my interlocutors and my audience. As such, just as is the case with my correspondences in the flesh, I try to incorporate what I learn at school into my daily interactions with people in almost every situation. I experiment with words on people, say things differently to see which way is more effective and felicitous. It pains me greatly that no one can deliver a speech like Patrick Henry, Lincoln or Churchill anymore. Rhetoric is an art and the role of syntactic sophistication in rhetoric is often underestimated if not overlooked completely. Anyone can subscribe to Dictionary.com's Word of the Day e-mail and within a year have acquired an impressive store of vocabulary. But what good is it if no one understands what you're saying, or worse, if they misconstrue your intent?

This has been an incredible digression. Please bear with me until I've an opportunity to fix up what I've written.

Have mercy? unsure.gif

What IS going one above me???????? wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif unsure.gif

I thought this was a thread about computer games - better go hide quick! ph34r.gif

I remember Dragon's Lair, which i think came out on Video Arcades around 1983/84. This was probably the first interactive video game which, although quite basic, was bloody difficult. Each level required precise timing and correct movement of joystick, or something would strangle or eat the hero you were controlling. Problem was, if you were no good at it, it didn't last very long laugh.gif

http://www.yanman.com/images/Dragonslair.jpg

QUOTE (physics23 @ Apr 27 2005, 02:50 AM)
QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Apr 26 2005, 07:57 PM)

My_Shrimp_Cot, I appreciate your candidness. I regard any feedbak on my writing as criticism of the most constructive kind, and I am grateful that you shared your opinion. In fact, I'm even happier you did so publicly. This is a rather glum way to start my day, but I will have something to ponder on my drive to Be'er Sheva this morning.

I'm afraid barney_rebel's evaluation, on this rare occasion, is imprecise. I did mean here. Maybe it's like one of those capitalist paradoxes: if everyone were rich, there'd be no wealthy class - there'd be no meaning to the word rich because it is a relative term and the criteria for its application change as the world changes. So the only way for there to be a rich person is for there to be a poor person too. But does it work the same way with art? No, it probably doesn't. No one can offer an objective scale along which the musical talents of Britney Spears and Mozart can be gauged. Which leaves us with the question of whether language syntax is an art. Well, most linguists will tell you it isn't. There are rigid guidlines that determine what is correct and what is not. Some linguists, though, especially in recent decades and with the advent of the Internet, claim that it's time we redefined or at least expanded our

Crap, I'm not gonna have time to finish this. Maybe the edit button'll still be here when I get back. I'm just trying to say,

Imprimis, I ought to have exercised better discretion before and I shall take better care to do so in the future.

Secondly, it not my place - or anyone's - to judge another person's syntax.

Well one last thing I may end up deleting in the final draft of this disquisition, but here goes:

You are in the (perhaps unfortunate) position of being my interlocutors and my audience. As such, just as is the case with my correspondences in the flesh, I try to incorporate what I learn at school into my daily interactions with people in almost every situation. I experiment with words on people, say things differently to see which way is more effective and felicitous. It pains me greatly that no one can deliver a speech like Patrick Henry, Lincoln or Churchill anymore. Rhetoric is an art and the role of syntactic sophistication in rhetoric is often underestimated if not overlooked completely. Anyone can subscribe to Dictionary.com's Word of the Day e-mail and within a year have acquired an impressive store of vocabulary. But what good is it if no one understands what you're saying, or worse, if they misconstrue your intent?

This has been an incredible digression. Please bear with me until I've an opportunity to fix up what I've written.

Have mercy? unsure.gif

"Seeking asylum behind the wall of intellect and rationality is a self retreating into self protectiveness at the expense of another's well being"

If, on the other hand, you actually meant to say you were using us as guinea pigs, that's just rude.

sarcasm.gif

It's a f***ing Rush forum for f**k's sakes, not a mental gym.

On this rare occasion - I will precisely say this -

Please bring this thread back on topic, or this thread will be closed or those out of topic will be deleted.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Edited by barney_rebel

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Apr 29 2005, 11:07 PM)
On this rare occasion - I will precisely say this -

Please bring this thread back on topic, or this thread will be closed or those out of topic will be deleted.

Thak you for your cooperation.

please delete us - thanks!