Sitting vs. Standing

Cyclops

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 24 2010, 05:28 PM)
QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jun 24 2010, 10:24 AM)
Get lawn seats. Everyone stands!

yes.gif

Get lawn seats, everyone gets rained on. smile.gif

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DetachedandSubdivided @ Jun 24 2010, 04:31 PM)

I guess I look at it like this - there will be time enough to sit on my ass when I get in my car to drive home. smile.gif

yes.gif

And all that sitting while driving in to the show - 2.gif doesn't come to Memphis often so there's always a long haul down to Dallas or up to St. Louis if I want to see them. It's just Dallas this time around...

I'm going to buck the trend and say sit for most of it. I prefer to stand as they come on stage and maybe for the first couple of songs, but after that, I prefer to sit (and stand again after the intermission, same thing).

Having said that, it all depends on where my seats are and what everyone else around me is doing. Last time, in Albuquerque, we had the first row right behind a handicapped area, so nobody was in front of us for like, 20 feet or something. We had a perfect view. Back in '92, I had fifth row center in Dallas, and naturally stood the whole time.

Just depends.

QUOTE (LedZep @ Jun 24 2010, 10:25 AM)
I don't mind standing, and appreciate the energy and enthusiasm everyone has. I also am sure that the band enjoys the energy they get from it too.

But I do like to be able to sit once in awhile, after all it's not a GA show, and I do have a chair. Inevitably, I get stuck behind the 6'+ guy who stands the entire show and sloshes beer all over everyone around him.

Whats worse, that guy or the guy who puts his girl on his shoulders so no one can see?

QUOTE (ProfGumby @ Jun 25 2010, 07:20 AM)
I don't mind standing, and appreciate the energy and enthusiasm everyone has. I also am sure that the band enjoys the energy they get from it too.

But I do like to be able to sit once in awhile, after all it's not a GA show, and I do have a chair. Inevitably, I get stuck behind the 6'+ guy who stands the entire show and sloshes beer all over everyone around him.

Whats worse, that guy or the guy who puts his girl on his shoulders so no one can see?

that sucks.

QUOTE (ProfGumby @ Jun 25 2010, 08:20 AM)

If that happened in front of me, she wouldn't stay there for long.

I don't mind little kids standing in their seats. I'd prefer that their parents not put them on their shoulders, though, unless they're on the lawn. The extra foot-and-a-half makes a big difference, and it gets tiring quickly to have to crane your head around the offenders.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 25 2010, 08:04 AM)
QUOTE (ProfGumby @ Jun 25 2010, 08:20 AM)

If that happened in front of me, she wouldn't stay there for long.

I don't mind little kids standing in their seats. I'd prefer that their parents not put them on their shoulders, though, unless they're on the lawn. The extra foot-and-a-half makes a big difference, and it gets tiring quickly to have to crane your head around the offenders.

Well...I am taking my little padiwan to his first Rush show and I will tell the people behind me before the show starts if they would not mind if I put him on my shoudlers for a few songs. I would never do it all night long....no way that is rude. But I want him to at least have some fun on a few songs and be able to really see the stage. Most of the night he will stand on his chair which would make him probably 5'3''

I already explained to him it will be hard for him to see a lot but I think he is going to be so blown away it won't matter too much. He is very excited for this.

As far as myself.....I don't sit for one waking second of a Rush concert.....ever.

QUOTE (Cyclops @ Jun 24 2010, 08:21 AM)
Is it wrong that I like to stand for the whole show? I know that we're all fans, so maybe you'll understand that when I'm psyched for a Rush show, I mean I am PSYCHED for the show. After months of anticipation, I have so much energy on show day, I can barely contain it, and there is no way I can plant my ass in a chair for 3 hours while my favorite band is playing live.

Nope, its not wrong at all. You paid for the seat, you certainly dont have to sit in it if you dont want.

I stand for most of it, and sit during the songs I dont like, and if someone stands in front of me, I have no problems with that.

QUOTE (TheBluePhoenix @ Jun 24 2010, 08:35 AM)
Its fine to stand at a concert since most people will be standing for most of the show. However, if there is a slow part of the slow and everyone in your section sits down except for you then you probably should be courteous to the people behind you and sit down for a little while.

I like to stand (at least for Rush anyway), but I agree with you if everyone around me sits for a song or two, I'll do the same.

It's a LIVE 2.gif concert, not a tennis match. Are you kidding me? STAND! SING! CLAP! SWAY! HEADBOB!! PUMP FISTS! All that good stuff. Unless, of course, they play The Larger Bowl...then you sit in your chair and sulk. wink.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (RushNut @ Jun 25 2010, 12:50 PM)
I prefer to lay on my side.

biggrin.gif Dang it! Why didn't I think of that one!!? new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 24 2010, 09:42 AM)
I stand the whole time and at 5'3, I wear these espradrille sandals that don't hurt my feet and make me a couple inches taller wub.gif

I learned the hard way when I hit the Chicago show in '07 and wore very flat puma's. I had BIG, BIG guys in front of me like 6'4"+ 300 lbs or so. I tried to peek between them as they moved, on tippy toes all night! My feet were toast. The '08 leg I wore heeled tennies (very comfortable) also made made taller for the meet and greet pic.

QUOTE (Cyclops @ Jun 24 2010, 06:31 PM)

yes.gif

Everyone? Even when it doesn't rain? wink.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 25 2010, 07:40 PM)
QUOTE (Cyclops @ Jun 24 2010, 06:31 PM)

yes.gif

Everyone? Even when it doesn't rain? wink.gif

Yes. But, I'm pretty sure it is the fat dude sitting next to you in the lawn, puking in the air, creating a myst-like rain.

I prefer seats. But, I stand the whole time, pissing off many folks behind me. smile.gif - I say, screw 'em. We're at a concert damnit!

Best time to put him up on your shoulders is if they play any S&A songs.

When I saw them at PNC in NJ, During that stretch of S&A songs the entire place just died. People clearing out for beer/bathroom runs. Once Subdivisions kicked in they started caring again.

So if you hear any S&A songs thats probably a good time when noone will care.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 25 2010, 07:58 PM)
When I saw them at PNC in NJ, During that stretch of S&A songs the entire place just died. People clearing out for beer/bathroom runs. Once Subdivisions kicked in they started caring again.

Sadly, this was my experience on both legs. By the time they played Armor and Sword, there were empty seats all around me and people were milling about the beer tents and merch stands.