would you buy a netbook?

ReflectedLight

I have an ASUS eeePC 900 that I bought last summer and think it's great to have. If you already have a laptop/notebook, I wouldn't bother as it's duplication.

I've had no issues with the one I have. But, I've upgraded the memory to 2GB and the SSD from 4GB to 32GB. Also, dumped the crappy version of Linux on it and run Debian. I do more than just surf, music and email on it though. I watch movies, documents/spreadsheets, website admin, etc on it.

No complaints except for small keyboard. But, I knew that when I bougth it.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 22 2010, 07:04 PM)
would you buy a netbook for the sole purpose of surfing the net, downloading music, and reading emails?
are they worth it, or problematic?

no, they are full of holes and you cant read the words eyesre4.gif

I am using an acer aspire at the advice of my older and wiser brother (owner of a successful systems analyst firm now for 22 yrs) and I like it. He has four of them at his house. The ad campaigns have managed to make consumers believe netbooks are very limited, only good for internet, email etc. But I gotta admit I use it for video editing and anything else I would use a "standard" pc for and it works just fine. Don't let marketing strategists keep you stuck in a paradigm. If the ads revealed "they work fine for all of the average consumers' needs", then they would lose major sales dollars and subsequently be shooting themselves in the foot financially. It's marketing at its finest. If you are running a firewire pro-tools rig for multitrack audio recording, or producing some hi-def, full length films, or playing some intense video games, then of course you would get a nice MAC workstation or something of that nature. As for watching DVD's or making CD's, they can handle it fine, you just need to add an external usb drive, that's all.

I challenge the "informed" skeptics out there:

What can't it do that your average person would need it to do??? popcorn.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 23 2010, 08:09 PM)
I am using an acer aspire at the advice of my older and wiser brother (owner of a successful systems analyst firm now for 22 yrs) and I like it. He has four of them at his house. The ad campaigns have managed to make consumers believe netbooks are very limited, only good for internet, email etc. But I gotta admit I use it for video editing and anything else I would use a "standard" pc for and it works just fine. Don't let marketing strategists keep you stuck in a paradigm. If the ads revealed "they work fine for all of the average consumers' needs", then they would lose major sales dollars and subsequently be shooting themselves in the foot financially. It's marketing at its finest. If you are running a firewire pro-tools rig for multitrack audio recording, or producing some hi-def, full length films, or playing some intense video games, then of course you would get a nice MAC workstation or something of that nature. As for watching DVD's or making CD's, they can handle it fine, you just need to add an external usb drive, that's all.
What can't it do that your average person would need it to do??? popcorn.gif

No arguments then???

If all you just want a yes or no answer, then no, I wouldn't get a netbook for any reason. Unless somehow I knew I could get a better deal selling it elsewhere. Edited by Sussossus

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 24 2010, 07:31 AM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 23 2010, 08:09 PM)
I am using an acer aspire at the advice of my older and wiser brother (owner of a successful systems analyst firm now for 22 yrs) and I like it. He has four of them at his house. The ad campaigns have managed to make consumers believe netbooks are very limited, only good for internet, email etc. But I gotta admit I use it for video editing and anything else I would use a "standard" pc for and it works just fine. Don't let marketing strategists keep you stuck in a paradigm.  If the ads revealed "they work fine for all of the average consumers' needs", then they would lose major sales dollars and subsequently be shooting themselves in the foot financially. It's marketing at its finest. If you are running a firewire pro-tools rig for multitrack audio recording, or producing some hi-def, full length films, or playing some intense video games, then of course you would get a nice MAC workstation or something of that nature. As for watching DVD's or making CD's, they can handle it fine, you just need to add an external usb drive, that's all. 
What can't it do that your average person would need it to do???  popcorn.gif

No arguments then???

I've been saying for years that most people don't need a powerful system unless they're doing heavy graphics intensive work such as games, CAD, etc.

The only argument I would say that a netbook wouldn't be feasable is for some games that require more graphics power or need a CD drive to play. But, for a cd drive, many games will work with ISO's mounted as a CD-Rom. Some games don't work because they need to see an optical drive even if you're using an ISO.