Second Tour?

azwink

I was thinking about the Moving pictures tour, and the pre-Moving Pictures Tour they did in Sept 1980 before they launched into the full blown tour Feb of 1981. Could they possibly launch into another tour after the release of their new album in 2011?

Here's hoping! 2.gif

Dan

Thanks! If that's the case, which totally makes sense with their past, I'm extremely stoked! I'm hitting 2 shows this round and definately get a couple more shows in next year! 1022.gif

Any links?

QUOTE (farcryoverspilledmilk @ Jun 21 2010, 03:29 PM)
2011 summer tour is already the plan...supposed to cover a good portion of the markets they didn't hit this round.

Where did you get your info from?

They've never made a studio album and then not gone on tour. I've been reading that they're gonna finish the record, then do the big tour next year.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 21 2010, 11:03 PM)
They've never made a studio album and then not gone on tour. I've been reading that they're gonna finish the record, then do the big tour next year.

Really? Where did you hear this?

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jun 21 2010, 10:06 PM)

I heard the same thing, but for me, it was on the radio on Q107 (Toronto)

I heard that this is a mini tour in preparation for their REAL gigantic tour for their new album, which will take place this time next year forthe summer of 2011.

And I also don't know if this is a rumour or not, but I heard that this aforementioned tour is also their LAST one. Or at least, the last album they're going to record. I certainly hope not!

I myself treat every tour and every album the boys make as their last....you just never know what tomorrow brings, unfortunately... cool.gif

QUOTE (azwink @ Jun 21 2010, 11:16 PM)
I myself treat every tour and every album the boys make as their last....you just never know what tomorrow brings, unfortunately... cool.gif

Me too...last time I checked, I'm not getting any younger.

QUOTE (azwink @ Jun 21 2010, 10:24 PM)
Found it! Geddy talkin' about the plans....so far he's right on the mark! 1022.gif

http://www.planetrock.com/Article.asp?id=1752798&spid=35830

I like the "bringing back a whole range of older songs" part. I've been thinking they would play MP and then splash 2-3 songs they haven't played in a while with the stuff they always play. That makes it sound like there will be a LOT of surprises.

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Jun 21 2010, 10:12 PM)
QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jun 21 2010, 10:06 PM)

I heard the same thing, but for me, it was on the radio on Q107 (Toronto)

I heard that this is a mini tour in preparation for their REAL gigantic tour for their new album, which will take place this time next year forthe summer of 2011.

And I also don't know if this is a rumour or not, but I heard that this aforementioned tour is also their LAST one. Or at least, the last album they're going to record. I certainly hope not!

It seems awful early to say it would definitely be their last tour. Lots of bands go on "farewell" tours and then play several tours after (Kiss, the Eagles, Black Sabbath, Phish, to name a few).

QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jun 22 2010, 12:25 AM)
Found it! Geddy talkin' about the plans....so far he's right on the mark! 1022.gif

I like the "bringing back a whole range of older songs" part. I've been thinking they would play MP and then splash 2-3 songs they haven't played in a while with the stuff they always play. That makes it sound like there will be a LOT of surprises.

You DO realize that Rush play for close to 3 hours in concert, right?

With what you stated there, that's:

- MP, which is 7 songs

- "2 or 3 songs"

and

- "stuff they always play" (which will vary depending on the person debating the issue... but I'd say another 5-6 songs

So, that's 16 songs.

What happened to the other 10+ songs? confused13.gif

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Jun 22 2010, 01:07 AM)
QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jun 22 2010, 12:25 AM)

You DO realize that Rush play for close to 3 hours in concert, right?

With what you stated there, that's:

- MP, which is 7 songs

- "2 or 3 songs"

and

- "stuff they always play" (which will vary depending on the person debating the issue... but I'd say another 5-6 songs

So, that's 16 songs.

What happened to the other 10+ songs? confused13.gif

There are far greater than 5-6 songs in their regular rotation. Look at the last few tours and you'll see a lot of songs appearing on most of the sets:

Working Man

The Trees

La Villa Strangiato

The Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Natural Science

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Limelight

Subdivisions

New World Man

Distant Early Warning

Red Sector A

Between the Wheels

The Big Money

The Rhythm Method

Force Ten

Time Stand Still

Show Don't Tell

Roll the Bones

Dreamline

Bravado

Stick It Out

Leave That Thing Alone

Animate

Driven

Resist

and a few others...

Last tour, I felt like we really only got 4 real surprises/special treats:

Digital Man

Entre Nous

Circumstances

A Passage to Bangkok

On the R30 tour, the setlist was fairly predictable, with the exception of By-Tor and possibly Xanadu.

On Vapor Trails, there was By-Tor and part of Cygnus.

On T4E, they did the complete 2112.

The rest was stuff that's part of the regular rotation.

The list of stuff they haven't played in a long time or have never played is much longer than the stuff they do play. Yes, I know we sometimes get spoiled by bands like Pearl Jam, Wilco, Phish, Panic, the Dead/RatDog/Further/Phil & Friends, Mule, Dave Matthews, Ben Harper, Bright Eyes, and even Jimmy Buffett (just to name a few), that will play anything and everything from their catalog on a given night (and a whole bunch of stuff from everyone else', too).

So the 7 songs from MP, the 2 new ones, one from T4E, Stick It Out, Jacob's Ladder, CTTH, MalNar and very likely Far Cry, some sort of acoustic piece for Neil to get a break is 16 songs. Pick another 10 songs from the above list(or newer albums) and then add two more surprises (I'm counting Jacob's Ladder as one) and you've got the setlist.

BTW, I hope I'm not right on that above post with regards to the TM setlist. I'd like to see the core songs cut down to 5-6 and then see them dig deeper into the catalog.

IMO, the songs they play every show should be:

The Spirit of Radio

Tom Sawyer

YYZ

Subdivisions

That's pretty much it. They should mix it up after that. If Geddy could still sing Anthem and Bastille Day, I'd put them in there, too.

QUOTE (TheBluePhoenix @ Jun 22 2010, 08:39 AM)
I am just stoked that they are showing no signs of slowing down even considering their ages.

trink39.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (azwink @ Jun 21 2010, 02:16 PM)
I was thinking about the Moving pictures tour, and the pre-Moving Pictures Tour they did in Sept 1980 before they launched into the full blown tour Feb of 1981. Could they possibly launch into another tour after the release of their new album in 2011?

Here's hoping! 2.gif

Dan

I'm counting on it.

QUOTE (TheBluePhoenix @ Jun 22 2010, 08:39 AM)
I am just stoked that they are showing no signs of slowing down even considering their ages.

Agreed, but late 50s isn't necessarily so old anymore. If they continue to record and tour like other bands have been doing (Stone, Eagles, etc.), we might get treated to a whole decade or so more Rush.

Here's hoping.