Too Young?

rushman321

OK, here's the question:

Would you take a three year old to a RUSH concert?

I started listening to RUSH in 81' with Moving Pictures and became a true RUSH geek. Then I took my kids to see their first RUSH concert in 2002 with Vapor Trails. Now, should I take my three year old grandson to the Time Machine Concert? Of course I would make him wear heavy duty ear protection and keep him away from people that are smoking.

What do you think?

If you think he will enjoy being there, then fine -- with the ear protection you say you'll provide.

But realistically, a 3 year old at a 3 hour show? That's a lot to handle for them. Unless you are prepared and OK with leaving at any time -- even if it's after the first few songs if there is restlessness, then go for it. Also, they aren't going to "get it" either at that age, and possibly won't even remember it..

If it were me, I'd leave the kid home... But that's just me.

Have him watch a few Rush DVDs first, and if he likes it and wants to experience it, take him. If he can't sit and watch the whole show and enjoy it, there's no point in taking him because you'll get nothing but "WHEN CAN WE GO HOOOOOME" (by brothers almost 17 and he does that)

my 3 year old turns to me tells me he doesn't like 2.gif he is a work in progress Edited by vaportrails14

Yes, I tend to agree with everyone. I know that it wouldn't be right, but it would be neat to say that I did take him.

QUOTE (rushman321 @ Jun 13 2010, 05:03 PM)
Yes, I tend to agree with everyone. I know that it wouldn't be right, but it would be neat to say that I did take him.

That's true, and good for your sake, but what does your son get out of it?

He won't remember it, and he certainly wouldn't sit long enough to appreciate it. Not only that, what if you guys need to stand up all of a sudden because people in the rows up front are now standing? You'd have to hoist him up on your shoulders constantly.

Second of all, have fun trying to "keep the smoke away from him" by dealing with the pot-smokers. I've been to many-a-show where I know by now that I would NOT mess with these people. At the very first Rush concert I went to, someone in front of us complained that someoen else was blowing smoke in their faces, and there was a fight that promptly broke out, where security was issued aftewards.

It's too much of a risk for someone so young, and it's a waste of a ticket that could be better put to use by someone in a more comfortable age bracket.. I DID see youngsters when I went to see KISS; I saw some young as 9 or 10, but kids will love a band that loves dressing up with facepaint and costumes tongue.gif

Edited by Hemispheres89

Funny you should ask. My son is 3 years old and he is slowly being groomed to become part of the next generation of Rush fans (maybe the 3rd?).

But honestly, that's still too young. Since they are playing long shows, it's probably too much for a toddler to stay in one place. My opinion is to wait until around the age of 6, at the earliest.

new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif no.gif dazed025.gif probably will be tired/asleep before show is over, right? so you prob. won't enjoy the show nearly as much as you will without a toddler...the one positive is, if it is an outdoor place, you can get away from the sheer volume of it if needed. but with the proper ear protection, what can the little guy hear anyways?

wait till the 40th anniversay tour, IMO

show him R30 or rio DVD confused13.gif

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jun 13 2010, 09:09 PM)
You guys wonder why I'm so cranky half the time. Maybe it's because some people can be so stupid here.

If we're so stupid, you could always leave. You might feel a little better without all of us stupid people around making you mad.

As for the OP... I'd definitely wait a few years before taking your child.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 13 2010, 08:22 PM)
QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jun 13 2010, 09:09 PM)
You guys wonder why I'm so cranky half the time. Maybe it's because some people can be so stupid here.

If we're so stupid, you could always leave. You might feel a little better without all of us stupid people around making you mad.

As for the OP... I'd definitely wait a few years before taking your child.

Did I say you were stupid? No. I said SOME people on here can be so stupid SOMETIMES.

no.gif The child won't remember the show, you have to have ear plugs and many other things. I'd wait another 5 years before taking the child to the show.

I took my daughter to her first show when she was 7 Michael Franti and Spearhead and sold out crowd of 1500. The only reason she remembers the show was she was able to listen to soundcheck and meet Michael and the band backstage and took a ton of pictures. Other than that she wouldn't have remembered a thing.

So why put the child through all that who may sleep through the show. Some due diligence and patience are your best bet here.

QUOTE (g under p @ Jun 13 2010, 11:42 PM)
no.gif The child won't remember the show, you have to have ear plugs and many other things. I'd wait another 5 years before taking the child to the show.

I took my daughter to her first show when she was 7 Michael Franti and Spearhead and sold out crowd of 1500. The only reason she remembers the show was she was able to listen to soundcheck and meet Michael and the band backstage and took a ton of pictures. Other than that she wouldn't have remembered a thing.

So why put the child through all that who may sleep through the show. Some due diligence and patience are your best bet here.

Michael Franti and Spearhead were here last night, but I had to work. I REALLY wanted to go.

My 4 and 7 year olds both like Rush a lot, but I wouldn't take them to a show. We take them to outdoor shows on occasion at local parks and stuff in the middle of the day, and they enjoy it for a while, but really just want to run around and play. Granted, those bands aren't Rush (mostly just cover bands), but they do play songs my boys know. When we are in the car, they ask to hear 2112, Circumstances, The Trees, Cygnus X-1, Tom Sawyer, etc. all the time, but it's different when you're asking them to sit/stand in one place for three hours with their face in someone's ass (unless you're holding them the whole time---but my 7 year old is 4.5' tall and weighs 63 lbs.). 2-3 years down the road I may take him, and I want to really bad, but for now, we'd make it through a few songs and then everyone would just be miserable. He's normally in bed by 8:30 or so and just gets crankier the later the stays up.

My parents took me to a Kenny Rogers/Dolly Parton show when I was 4. I remember one minute of it and that's it. And when I was a kid, I LOVED them (cuz my parents did) but I couldn't grasp it enough at that age.

I think 10 is a good age to start, unless the kid asks beforehand and really means it.

I started taking my son to concerts early...I think he was 4 when I took him to his first concert (Journey in '04). However, in hindsight, I probably should have waited. Honestly, it ruined the experience for me, and I know he doesn't even remember going at all. I took him to see Rush in '07 and '08, and he was 7 and 8 those years. He remembers those concerts, and the experience was more pleasant for me. He's 10 now, and will be attending at least one Rush concert with me this summer. He's looking forward to it, as am I. I really love being able to share that with him. 1022.gif

3 is too young to really appreciate it.

And from a selfish point of view, I don't want to be the fan sitting next to a restless, cranky three year old who is squirming and whining constantly that he wants to go home. (Same applies to guys who bring their girlfriends who hate Rush and engage in the same squirmy, whiny behavior. Don't want to sit next to her either, and I WILL give you dirty looks - at the minimum).

QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jun 14 2010, 12:25 AM)
QUOTE (g under p @ Jun 13 2010, 11:42 PM)

Michael Franti and Spearhead were here last night, but I had to work. I REALLY wanted to go.

My 4 and 7 year olds both like Rush a lot, but I wouldn't take them to a show. We take them to outdoor shows on occasion at local parks and stuff in the middle of the day, and they enjoy it for a while, but really just want to run around and play. Granted, those bands aren't Rush (mostly just cover bands), but they do play songs my boys know. When we are in the car, they ask to hear 2112, Circumstances, The Trees, Cygnus X-1, Tom Sawyer, etc. all the time, but it's different when you're asking them to sit/stand in one place for three hours with their face in someone's ass (unless you're holding them the whole time---but my 7 year old is 4.5' tall and weighs 63 lbs.). 2-3 years down the road I may take him, and I want to really bad, but for now, we'd make it through a few songs and then everyone would just be miserable. He's normally in bed by 8:30 or so and just gets crankier the later the stays up.

Michael Franti and I are friends and my daughter at the time loved his music and wanted to meet him and the band. I made sure she got just that and was even able to have dinner with them so she can still remember the fun we had including me forgetting to get her ear plugs. Michael gave her his which were NOT able to block out enough sound. J from the road crew saved the day cause she started to cry big time. sad.gif

A three year to me is just too young.