What made your day today? v.2

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

27 minutes ago, invisible airwave said:

I won a gift card raffle at work.  What are the odds? :laugh:

Do you have to call a number in Nigeria to get the activation code?   :wink:

• Like 2

(This was actually two weeks ago, but the day-making continues.) We got a new dog! He's a rescue and the vet's best guess is he's part Border Collie. We had his DNA sampled as it's part of his health plan anyway and we'll get the results in a few weeks. He's a smart little dude, that's for sure and has only had 3 "accidents" so he's catching on to house-breaking really well and he's also learned "sit" so now we're working on lay down and a come here command. He was skinny when we got him, just 15 pounds & you could see his ribs & pelvis so we're getting him up to a healthy weight. Finally, we named him Baxley, after the town in Ga. where my wife's family hails from. Funny story on that, by the way. They immigrated from up North about 150 years ago were trying to get to Alabama but wound up settling in Baxley and the reason listed in the official record? They got tired! I don'tknow why, but that's always made me laugh. I'll try to post pics of the new mutt butt soon.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jack Aubrey said:

(This was actually two weeks ago, but the day-making continues.) We got a new dog! He's a rescue and the vet's best guess is he's part Border Collie. We had his DNA sampled as it's part of his health plan anyway and we'll get the results in a few weeks. He's a smart little dude, that's for sure and has only had 3 "accidents" so he's catching on to house-breaking really well and he's also learned "sit" so now we're working on lay down and a come here command. He was skinny when we got him, just 15 pounds & you could see his ribs & pelvis so we're getting him up to a healthy weight. Finally, we named him Baxley, after the town in Ga. where my wife's family hails from. Funny story on that, by the way. They immigrated from up North about 150 years ago were trying to get to Alabama but wound up settling in Baxley and the reason listed in the official record? They got tired! I don'tknow why, but that's always made me laugh. I'll try to post pics of the new mutt butt soon.

Would love to see him!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, blueschica said:

Would love to see him!

Ok, let's see if I can do this right:

cf50ce75-c5c4-4b04-a1dc-ee465d4996cb.jpg628bfa9e-5013-4c28-b762-46576b94d03c.jpg

In the top pic, he looks a little bedraggled because he's had a bath.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Jack Aubrey said:

cf50ce75-c5c4-4b04-a1dc-ee465d4996cb.jpg628bfa9e-5013-4c28-b762-46576b94d03c.jpg

He's a handsome boy! I love that he's a rescue. Shelters are a great place to get animals, I think.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, blueschica said:

He's a handsome boy! I love that he's a rescue. Shelters are a great place to get animals, I think.

Agreed 100%! I also love that mutts have far fewer medical problems than purebreds.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Jack Aubrey said:

He's lovely! :wub: All the best for this new buddy!

• Like 3

On 12/20/2022 at 7:27 PM, blueschica said:

We've had numerous rescues over the years.  Still have a TNR girl who hangs out in our yard.  She has a kitty cave with heated pad and right now she's enjoying it a lot.  We brought her brother inside years ago but she is more skittish so we make sure she is warm and well fed.

Congrats on your new puppy, so cute!

• Like 2

Speaking of our kitty, her enclosed porch now has a new door installed so it is less drafty.  The humans here are very happy too, the door had been on back order since October so we had to cover the opening with plastic to keep out the rain and help her not freeze out there.  Downside was we had to use the front door exclusively, not fun taking the trash out through the front room!

So it made our day yesterday to have the door put in right before more storms arrive :clap: Yay!

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Rhyta said:

Speaking of our kitty, her enclosed porch now has a new door installed so it is less drafty.  The humans here are very happy too, the door had been on back order since October so we had to cover the opening with plastic to keep out the rain and help her not freeze out there.  Downside was we had to use the front door exclusively, not fun taking the trash out through the front room!

So it made our day yesterday to have the door put in right before more storms arrive :clap: Yay!

Just in time! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Did my final food shopping until oh, Tuesday.  In contrast to my "sad today" post of yesterday, everything was good.  Publix was jammed, took 10 minutes and a fair walk to fin a parking spot.  Inside was like an active ant 🐜 nest, everyone rushing about, but organized.  Deli counter backed up with folks picking up pre-ordered party platters, lots of produce being put out, in house bakery going full blast.  Everyone grinning and animated in conversation, "Happy Holidays", and such.  Sure hope the mood holds, we all could use it.

Hmm, now, what to drink - bourbon, tequila, or crack open a beer? Hmm...

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 4:22 PM, Rhyta said:

We've had numerous rescues over the years.  Still have a TNR girl who hangs out in our yard.  She has a kitty cave with heated pad and right now she's enjoying it a lot.  We brought her brother inside years ago but she is more skittish so we make sure she is warm and well fed.

Congrats on your new puppy, so cute!

Thank you!

• Like 1

With all the snowfall, my usual exercise routine of long hikes in the hills had been replaced by shoveling area driveways, sidewalks,  and gutters.  This morning we had a break of calm sunny weather, so I got to take  the dog up one of my favorite trails.  Near the turnaround point I got to stop and watch one of these go to work on a redwood tree.

16141786211_3d8e80a712_o_0.jpg?itok=a25M

• Like 3

6 hours ago, goose said:

With all the snowfall, my usual exercise routine of long hikes in the hills had been replaced by shoveling area driveways, sidewalks,  and gutters.  This morning we had a break of calm sunny weather, so I got to take  the dog up one of my favorite trails.  Near the turnaround point I got to stop and watch one of these go to work on a redwood tree.

16141786211_3d8e80a712_o_0.jpg?itok=a25M

Great photo! 

• Like 1

The surprising things that can happen in life sometimes. A friend that I`ve been spending inordinate amounts of time with decides that she`s fallen in love with me, and that works rather well for me. I feel a bit bad now that I dismissed by ex`s jealousy as extreme and plain wrong... :blush2:

• Like 2

I was in Worcester this week for work.  While I was killing time in the late morning I wandered into a vinyl record shop on the main drag.  The owner and I were the only 2 in there.  We talked about our vinyl collections and some of the stuff we had that you just can't get any more.  And as I was aimlessly thumbing through a stack of posters, I found a great Get Back promo poster with the Please Please Me and Get Back covers superimposed on one another.  I'm getting it framed and put in my office.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I was in Worcester this week for work.  While I was killing time in the late morning I wandered into a vinyl record shop on the main drag.  The owner and I were the only 2 in there.  We talked about our vinyl collections and some of the stuff we had that you just can't get any more.  And as I was aimlessly thumbing through a stack of posters, I found a great Get Back promo poster with the Please Please Me and Get Back covers superimposed on one another.  I'm getting it framed and put in my office.

Surprise finds are the best! 

• Like 2

I just returned from a class where we were teaching winter survival stuff to college aviation students - a two month long annual affair.

After shelter building and discussing how they will be outside and cutting down trees and such, the next topic was signals.

They need to learn how to signal to aircraft to improve rescue times and shorten the time spent waiting for said rescues.

I introduced the next topic of signals - different types of sound, reflective, ground signal fires, etc.

I said "so the next topic is signals."

..."Not only is Signals a great Rush album, we need to know the basics of..."

There were a couple of chuckles, but most are too young to understand. Talking to them in groups outside, I always mention Rush as an icebreaker - more and more, it's "My dad is (this or that)" but not the students.

Sigh. But I loved that I could sneak that in to get a sense of musical tastes!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 12/20/2022 at 3:15 PM, Jack Aubrey said:

By the way, even tho we named him Baxley, we have decided his nickname is Butter bean. Don't ask me why, it just kind of happened! :D He answers to both now.

Also, he has learned sit, shake hands, and rings a bell that hangs from the doorknob on the back door when he needs to go outside. We also recently found out that the two most prominent breeds in his lineage are German Shepherd and Rottweiler in spite of the fact he most resembles an Australian Shepherd!

• Like 4

On 1/31/2023 at 9:58 PM, Bahamas said:

I just returned from a class where we were teaching winter survival stuff to college aviation students - a two month long annual affair.

After shelter building and discussing how they will be outside and cutting down trees and such, the next topic was signals.

They need to learn how to signal to aircraft to improve rescue times and shorten the time spent waiting for said rescues.

I introduced the next topic of signals - different types of sound, reflective, ground signal fires, etc.

I said "so the next topic is signals."

..."Not only is Signals a great Rush album, we need to know the basics of..."

There were a couple of chuckles, but most are too young to understand. Talking to them in groups outside, I always mention Rush as an icebreaker - more and more, it's "My dad is (this or that)" but not the students.

Sigh. But I loved that I could sneak that in to get a sense of musical tastes!

Brother, that is beyond outstanding!! How'd you get involved in the survival gig?

5 hours ago, Jack Aubrey said:

Brother, that is beyond outstanding!! How'd you get involved in the survival gig?

If Rush is my "jam", winter wilderness stuff is my "peanut butter" :banana:

It began over 20 years ago when the college approached the local search and rescue unit about wilderness skills - because students will be getting all their flight hours up here over Boreal forests.

After graduation they can go on to become pilots for whatever company, but many will be bush pilots for mining companies and such.

I started with the search unit in 2010 and got into this particular course a few years ago. It's a ten class program with 7 night classes of simple wilderness first aid, group dynamics, building a survival kit, proper clothing materials, footwear, combating fear and panic, etc. and then 3 outdoor exercises - 2 single Saturdays where they learn to start fires using only a flint striker (works anywhere, anytime, always and every time - with practice) and then shelters (the lean-to that you can build to any size with a multi-tool and wire or some rope) and the tripod signal fire. Then it culminates with an overnight weekend of all skills put together. Yes, some years it's -10 C and other years it can be -25 or more. It's a destructive non-environmentally friendly program, but using crown land and notifying the rural police, fire departments and such, and with one of their instructors doing a fly-over with dash cams on the final day, the students get to see how tiny and difficult it is to see the little columns of smoke from the signal fires at 1000 feet. They really get a perspective on how to stand out in thousands of square miles of dark forest cover. It takes hours to scramble a search team from southern Ontario and then many more to begin spotting and mapping the original flight plan and grid searching out from that pattern - over hundreds of miles, so they are taught how to spend a couple of days waiting and hoping for a rescue.

They are nervous going in and super psyched and proud coming out. Foreign students, older students changing careers, always a few women, people of all walks of life - but want to be pilots. 45 - 55 students a year?

We are all volunteers but it does net our unit some cash to continue operating and paying rent. Started back in the late '60s, the unit is still going but is rarely called out by police for searches these days - it's become more of an community education service. 

I have always been too shy to ask Alex - "Sir, what is in your aircraft survival kit?" But I think someday I will ask?

Cheers Jack Aubrey! It's a really neat course and there are very few of them remaining. Thanks for asking.

• Like 4