What made your day today? v.2

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

Glad to have the non stop ads on tv gone and no more dozens of texts and emails asking for money.  Guess we will see how it all shakes out, after December's run off in GA :sigh:

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Rhyta said:

Glad to have the non stop ads on tv gone and no more dozens of texts and emails asking for money.  Guess we will see how it all shakes out, after December's run off in GA :sigh:

Hard agree on being glad the ads are gone.  

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.  I work in ballot processing here in NV, and state election law mandates acceptance of all ballots post-marked by election day.  So a week delay in getting final results is the new normal.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, goose said:

Hard agree on being glad the ads are gone.  

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.  I work in ballot processing here in NV, and state election law mandates acceptance of all ballots post-marked by election day.  So a week delay in getting final results is the new normal.

I really don't understand this.  Isn't one sign of modernization that things like this (mechanical counting) is easier and faster?  :confused:

2 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I really don't understand this.  Isn't one sign of modernization that things like this (mechanical counting) is easier and faster?  :confused:

The actual tabulation (counting) of votes is done by machine, but it's the processing of ballots prior  that is cumbersome.  Let's say a ballot is brought to the post office on election day afternoon.  That ballot has to be handled, sorted and delivered to the recorder's ballot processing center.  Then, to confirm authenticity,  the ballot's signature is check by a team of screeners then batched to be passed on to another team (the ballot may be set aside for signature "curing, which would delay this process). The second team opens the envelope, extracts the ballot and checks that to see if duplication is in order.  In Nevada you can fill in a bubble, then change your mind by crossing out that candidate and filling in another bubble.  The tabulation machine only scans the bubbles, and would treat this as an overvote.  So that ballot is pulled for hand duplication, with tge clean duplicate ballot moving on for tabulation.  Clean (properly marked, correction-free) ballots are simply batched and sent for tabulation.  Counties like Clark and Washoe (Reno) will handle tens of thousands of these late ballots.

This is why there is a delay.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Rhyta said:

Easily the worst part of this process. One person saying the other is for or against something and then the candidate from the other party does the same. 

2 hours ago, goose said:

The actual tabulation (counting) of votes is done by machine, but it's the processing of ballots prior  that is cumbersome.  Let's say a ballot is brought to the post office on election day afternoon.  That ballot has to be handled, sorted and delivered to the recorder's ballot processing center.  Then, to confirm authenticity,  the ballot's signature is check by a team of screeners then batched to be passed on to another team (the ballot may be set aside for signature "curing, which would delay this process). The second team opens the envelope, extracts the ballot and checks that to see if duplication is in order.  In Nevada you can fill in a bubble, then change your mind by crossing out that candidate and filling in another bubble.  The tabulation machine only scans the bubbles, and would treat this as an overvote.  So that ballot is pulled for hand duplication, with tge clean duplicate ballot moving on for tabulation.  Clean (properly marked, correction-free) ballots are simply batched and sent for tabulation.  Counties like Clark and Washoe (Reno) will handle tens of thousands of these late ballots.

Some say the delay is so the Democrats can cheat more. :confused:

What made my day today is that I'm posting on TRF for the first time in a long time. I've missed this place. It looks a lot different, but I know it's the same at the same time. :heart: I still see some of the OG's like me and that's so cool.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, sullysue said:

What made my day today is that I'm posting on TRF for the first time in a long time. I've missed this place. It looks a lot different, but I know it's the same at the same time. :heart: I still see some of the OG's like me and that's so cool.

:wave: Welcome back!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, goose said:

Yes, here in PA the mail and absentee ballots can't even be opened,  flattened and signature checked until election day itself,  so it takes quite a while when there is a year with a lot of them. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, blueschica said:

Yes, here in PA the mail and absentee ballots can't even be opened,  flattened and signature checked until election day itself,  so it takes quite a while when there is a year with a lot of them. 

Wow.  We in NV can at least start processing on arrival pre-election day.

• Like 2

We have just returned from a trip south of the border to Duluth for three days, our closest fun shopping and dining get-away destination. 

After almost three years, we are trying to return to a sense of "normal".

At a small boutique shop (at Fitger's - in case said person is watching...) I was looking for an aged bottle of The Macallan, to see if the exchange rate and price was better than our local LCBO choices.

Turns out the prices were not very different. So I asked the proprietor if he would consider a discount for Canucks long absent but returning to the scene - joking, in a sincere sort of way.

Sorry, no. Prices are rising everywhere.

Fine.

Would you consider a discount to a RUSH fan, the drummer being a big fan of said label. 

He looked up at me and asked You're a RUSH fan?

Yes, I said.

I've seen three of their concerts, he said.

I have only seen two, I said. I knew I was beat, right then.

While it didn't get me a discount, and nothing gained, I was delighted to hear a stranger describe Neil's having learned new techniques from Freddy and how he, himself, was inspired to try to learn new techniques, also a drummer.

Found another RUSH fan in the north-western wilderness. Sweet!

• Like 3

The local Persian community held a parade/convoy on the freeway in support of women's rights.

Flags, balloons, and banners.  It was really something to see.  

Edited by Krystal
  • Like 4

On 11/9/2022 at 10:57 AM, Principled Man said:

The word "sleaze" always reminds me of the classic horror film The Blob

Sleaze can go anywhere, get into everything and get anybody.  No one is safe!  :laugh:    

The remake is quite underrated with some insane kills like the sink drain scene.

This guy is back.  Team Coco for life.

Darrell Brooks will spend life in prison six times over for the death and injuries he caused in the 2021 Waukesha Christmas Parade attack.

Waukesha County Circuit Court Judge Jennifer Dorow on Wednesday formally sentenced Brooks to consecutive life sentences for first-degree intentional homicide, with no chance of parole, in the deaths of Tamara Durand, William Hospel, Jane Kulich, Leanna Owen, Jackson Sparks and Virginia Sorenson.

She also sentenced Brooks to 17 1/2 years for each of the 61 counts of first-degree recklessly endangering safety, or a total of 762 years of initial confinement and 305 years of extended supervision; and 25 years each for the six hit-and-run counts running concurrent to the reckless endangerment charges.

In all, beyond his life sentences, he was sentenced to more than 1,200 years, including extended supervision.  [Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel]

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The wife joined me in a gorgeous hike high in the hills of the Upper Waterfall trail.  Ran into a black powder rifle hunter trailing a 4x5 buck and had a nice chat.  It's been sub-freezing weather forecast while,  but this morning we were able to get down to one layer, which felt great!

:sundog:

• Like 3

Another day of watching reactions to :rush: (my first post I put in the wrong area yesterday! :oops: )

by people who have never heard them before. watching on youtube.

The reactions have been making me cry. Tears of joy and pain. YES! :rush: ARE THAT AWESOME!!!

And always will be...:heart:

• Like 3

Only symptom I have left is chest coughing which isn't as intense as yesterday.  Vitamin C packets weren't working and last Tuesday I just said fuggetaboutit and got to the one that I've had success with the most, Alka Seltzer.  Should have done that in the first place but better later than never.

I went on a double decker bus for the first time and you better believe I sat on the upper level.  Apparently, Foothill Transit has some for their Silver Streak Express bus that goes along the 10 freeway from Montclair to downtown L.A..

You usually need to be on a Hollywood star home tour or in the U.K. to find one. :laugh:

• Like 1