What made your day today? v.2

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

I get a daily email from "The Daily Headbanger" (Dee Snider) and they give events and birthdays for the date in history. One of the events for today was this

August 31, 1984 – Much Music, Canada’s answer to MTV, airs its first video – “The Enemy Within” by Rush.

Pretty cool. 

• Like 3

On 9/1/2022 at 9:35 AM, Fordgalaxy said:

Reading that Sarah Palin lost the election she was in.

This could also be in the :"What made you laugh" thread, but it fits here too.

Moments after conceding defeat, Palin said she would remain in Alaska to watch Mikhail Gorbachev’s funeral.

• Haha 3

A quiet ending of a good week.

The "work" to put a new roof was completed yesterday.  Final inspection set for next Wednesday, contractor said I can delay payment of balance until final approval.  Need to find a painter to prime and seal allthe replaced exterior wood.  Next project, interior clutter removal, getting rid of unused/unwanted stuff.

• Like 3

The Tour of Britain (cycling) is in the Scottish Borders today, and all around the roads I use and places I go regularly. They actually go directly by my parents` house in Birgham, so that`s pretty cool. 

• Like 2

An entry on my bank account shows a $1400 deposit from Social Security, posted on 1st of the month.  Amount is too small to be my monthly benefits, and 15 days early.  Determination notice from SSA arrived today, turned out to be a benefits payment owed to Karen from back in the quarterly period when she passed away.  Amount was credited to me as surviving spouse.  Nice!

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 4

Busy, busy, busy earlier today.  What was 2 floor to ceiling closets full of Karen's old clothes and shoes, plus other stuff was packed into boxes and stored in a living room corner by two ladies who run a business helping you reduce old clutter. Includes 6 boxes (16 x 12x 12) of books.  Stuff will be hauled away next week by a charitable organization they work with.  They located 3 artist teddy bears, including a limited editon piece of mine that Karen "hid" (out of jealousy I think) well over 20 years ago.  The "clutter magic" ladies will be back to tackle more junk first week of October.

Roof contractor and the permit inspector (sub-contracted by the City) finally hooked up, roof passed final inspection, contractor company paid by e-check, that business is FINISHED! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, pjbear05 said:

Busy, busy, busy earlier today.  What was 2 floor to ceiling closets full of Karen's old clothes and shoes, plus other stuff was packed into boxes and stored in a living room corner by two ladies who run a business helping you reduce old clutter. Includes 6 boxes (16 x 12x 12) of books.  Stuff will be hauled away next week by a charitable organization they work with.  They located 3 artist teddy bears, including a limited editon piece of mine that Karen "hid" (out of jealousy I think) well over 20 years ago.  The "clutter magic" ladies will be back to tackle more junk first week of October.

Roof contractor and the permit inspector (sub-contracted by the City) finally hooked up, roof passed final inspection, contractor company paid by e-check, that business is FINISHED! 

Sounds like a good way to start indoor season, although I guess it's mostly always outdoor season in Florida :smile:

12 minutes ago, blueschica said:

Sounds like a good way to start indoor season, although I guess it's mostly always outdoor season in Florida :smile:

Nah, it's inside, we are still seeing temps in the high 80's and just enough rain to send the humidity into the 80% range.  Makes it hard to breathe.  Give me indoors and AC anytime.

• Like 1

Over the years I often ask co-workers and new acquaintances if they are into RUSH, it can be a great barrier breaker.

Almost always, the answer is no.

A contractor through of a friend of a friend installed new basement windows last year. After looking at some of his work, we booked him to build a retaining wall for this year.

It's been a few days of noise and activity and today I had time to help him.

He says "So you're a RUSH fan?"

(I guess he saw shirts I have worn over time, I will ask him tomorrow why he even asked me that question)

"Yes,  big time", I said.

"I listened to 2112 a lot as a teenager with my friend, I saw two concerts at Maple Leaf Gardens. I really liked the album before Fly By Night, too".

He explained that he has a big poster honouring war hero's with a gold album in the centre (?) that is on the wall of his office beside his albums.

Yeah it's simple, but it was really great to hear somebody else talk about the band without me initiating the conversation. That made my day today.

Cheers! 

• Like 4

Drove 600 miles to be with this wonderful lady, my niece, Morgan, on her wedding day.  

36 years ago, I got to hold her when she was a month old, and I’ve been in love with her ever since.  She even called me when she found out she was pregnant ten years ago.  I’m 600 miles away, and she called to ask for my blessing.  

*SIGH*   

KnZlY7I.jpg

• Like 5

Received a letter today from my homeowner's insurance company, whose policy was being cancelled at the end of the month.  Due to the state's emergency declaration as a result of Ian, my policy is being "reinstated with no lapse in coverage". I will be getting a renewal statement with the new premium shortly.  More money out of pocket, but thank goodness I'm covered.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2022 at 8:54 PM, Weakly Criminal said:

She will likely survive most of us. 

Billy Joel was right.  🎵 The sinners are much more fun... 🎵 

Also, my workplace and many owned by the same company just cut ties with the Morrissey of rap, Kanye.  Honestly, I've never seen his merchandise.  I've seen Kylie Jenner's jeans in the breakroom on the conveyor belt while working, though.  That's given me some eye rolling at times, not gonna lie.

I48DOz1.jpg

And, of course, I voted for the Good Guys™ !  :wink:  :wink:

Edited by Principled Man

On 11/8/2022 at 8:23 AM, Principled Man said:

I48DOz1.jpg

And, of course, I voted for the Good Guys™ !  :wink:  :wink:

Good to see that the sleazier candidates from both sides are mostly losing

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, goose said:

Good to see that the sleazier candidates from both sides are mostly losing

The word "sleaze" always reminds me of the classic horror film The Blob

Sleaze can go anywhere, get into everything and get anybody.  No one is safe!  :laugh:    

• Like 4