What made your day today? v.2

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

A job offer from my dream firm.

I said yes. :)

Wow! Well done- congratulations to you! :dweez: :dweez: That's so exciting! Don't forget to check in with us old folks once in a while. :)

Wow! Well done- congratulations to you! :dweez: :dweez: That's so exciting! Don't forget to check in with us old folks once in a while. :)

Congratulations!! :clap: :yes: Well done

Wow, great! :cheerleader: Congratulations! :clap:

Thank you all!

Don't worry, I'll still be around here. My favorite place on the internet!

• Like 3

Thank you all!

A better late than never congrats from me as well. Hope it ends up as good as you want it to.

• Like 3

Thank you all!

A better late than never congrats from me as well. Hope it ends up as good as you want it to.

Thank you! I hope so too, but I'm confident it's going to be a great place to get started.

• Like 3

Every year around this time I am with a search/rescue volunteer group that teaches winter wilderness survival stuff to first year would-be pilot students at the local flight college.

During the first outdoor class I wait until they have suffered the early cold start (-27 C this year) and are getting into the whole start a camp, make a shelter mode and starting to gel as a group. It gets warmer, snow starts falling.

Many are first time with snowshoes, it's still knee deep in snow, branches poking them every which way. They have to use a flint striker to start their little practice fires.

I always ask "Who likes Rush? Any fans?".

I usually get blank stares, perhaps "my older brother likes them".

Yesterday I asked the group (of seven) and one student said "you mean, like Tom Sawyer? Limelight?".

Another called out from his spot where he was sawing down a balsam fir (for the boughs that will be their shelter mattress) "The Trees? Xanadu?".

Blew me away.

Not much extra radio play up here north of the border since Neil's passing, but two of the group actually knew Rush songs! These students are in their late teens, early twenties.

Awesome!!

That made my day!

:macallan: was had last evening, "after drop" was hitting hard and a hot shower didn't quite warm me up.

• Like 3

Thank you all!

Thank you! I hope so too, but I'm confident it's going to be a great place to get started.

Congrats! So happy for you!!!!
  • Like 2

Thank you all!

Congrats! So happy for you!!!!

Thank you! :)

• Like 1

After sitting in a Rockford, IL hotel for 3+ days, my niece, her boyfriend and her two cats are on the road again!

The roads are in good shape, and they are now 2/3 of the way to their new life in Knoxville, TN. About 4 more hours of driving tomorrow, and they'll be there!

:sundog: :sundog: :sundog:

• Like 2

After sitting in a Rockford, IL hotel for 3+ days, my niece, her boyfriend and her two cats are on the road again!

The roads are in good shape, and they are now 2/3 of the way to their new life in Knoxville, TN. About 4 more hours of driving tomorrow, and they'll be there!

They made it! :sundog: A bit of trouble in southwest Kentucky (icy roads, jerk truck drivers), but aside from that, it was smooth sailing.

She's POOPED. Her first day of work at her new job is tomorrow.... :o

• Like 2

They made it! :sundog: A bit of trouble in southwest Kentucky (icy roads, jerk truck drivers), but aside from that, it was smooth sailing.

She's POOPED. Her first day of work at her new job is tomorrow.... :o

Glad to hear they are safely there! :) I hope everything turns out fine at her new job and in their new life as well.

• Like 2

Olympic curling. Italy has never won a curling medal, yet their mixed doubles team has made it through the round robins (9 wins in 9 matches) and are up 5-0 after four ends vs Sweden to advance the gold medal match UNDEFEATED in competition! Incredible.
  • Like 2

Olympic curling. Italy has never won a curling medal, yet their mixed doubles team has made it through the round robins (9 wins in 9 matches) and are up 5-0 after four ends vs Sweden to advance the gold medal match UNDEFEATED in competition! Incredible.

They finished off Sweden and went on to take out Norway in the gold medal match. :cheerleader:
  • Like 3

Jamming with a former colleague last night, as well as a youngster in his first year of university. Stumbled onto playing Another One Bites the Dust, and at the end I jokingly asked if the kid knew Dragon Attack (assuming there was no way he would). He shocked me by laying right into the bass line, then I jumped in and laid down Roger Taylor's drum fill, and his eyes got big and a wide grin appeared. Turns out Queen's The Game was his first CD.

So we started from the top and played the whole thing, and it was the highlight of the evening. :lol:

• Like 5

Finally .... a 40th anniversary Moving Pictures box set. A full live show from the 1981 tour!!! The day cannot get ant better!!
  • Like 3

I was this many years old when I learned I could pair my Apple Air Pods with my Windows PC lap-top.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/how-to-pair-apple-airpods-with-your-windows-10-pc-in-less-than-a-minute/

Edited by JohnRogers
  • Like 1

Getting back to The Trees. Today I had delivered 50 Hybrid Willow Tree cuttings. I am building the mother of all privacy hedges, and rather than pay 90 bucks per tree, I paid $1 per cutting. All I have to do is put them in 3 inches of water, keep them in water. They will root in a week or 2.

Plant them 2 inches in the ground and they will be 5 ft high by October.

So what made me happy today? In about 90 minutes the little f***ers, in the 1 gallon water jugs I have them in to root, have sucked up about an inch of water in each jug. The tops of the cuttings are bleeding water.....

They are going to grow like crazy....

Yeah.... little known secret about Greparoo. I love trees.

Tomorrow, I am going to start incubating... from Oregon... seeds for a Sequoia and a Redwood. They will grow and thrive here outside Charlotte.

I wont live to see it, but after my daughter inherits the house she is going to have 40 foot trees in the yard. If that's part of my legacy..then f**k yes.

Edited by grep
  • Like 7

Getting back to The Trees. Today I had delivered 50 Hybrid Willow Tree cuttings. I am building the mother of all privacy hedges, and rather than pay 90 bucks per tree, I paid $1 per cutting. All I have to do is put them in 3 inches of water, keep them in water. They will root in a week or 2.

So what made me happy today? In about 90 minutes the little f***ers, in the 1 gallon water jugs I have them in to root, have sucked up about an inch of water in each jug. The tops of the cuttings are bleeding water.....

Tomorrow, I am going to start incubating... from Oregon... seeds for a Sequoia and a Redwood. They will grow and thrive here outside Charlotte.

I wont live to see it, but after my daughter inherits the house she is going to have 40 foot trees in the yard. If that's part of my legacy..then f**k yes.

The arborist is the ultimate optimist. Like the gardener, having only the promise of nature's bounty to motivate such hard work with so long to wait for results. Without people taking this long view, orchards would not exist. Grass would never have become corn. We would still be hunter-gatherers.

Cheers to you my fellow civilization supporter! :cheers:

• Like 3

The arborist is the ultimate optimist. Like the gardener, having only the promise of nature's bounty to motivate such hard work with so long to wait for results. Without people taking this long view, orchards would not exist. Grass would never have become corn. We would still be hunter-gatherers.

Cheers to you my fellow civilization supporter! :cheers:

Thank you!!

I always tell people that if I weren't a programmer (Well, now a project manager...but I'm still a coder at heart) I'd be a farmer. It's true. I just feel a connection.

Edited by grep
  • Like 3