RUSH Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame, June 25

hazlnut

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 25 2010, 08:59 PM)
QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Jun 25 2010, 05:24 PM)

Here's a comment from Donna Halper:
#66 - Posted 6/25/10 @5:51PM by donnahalper  [contact]

Some of you are breaking my heart. Please stop the Neil-bashing. Let me tell you something and you can do what you want with it. Neil is shy. Painfully shy. So am I, and believe me, it's hard to get up in front of strangers and talk when it's not your comfort zone. He sent his family. They were there on his behalf. But he couldn't do it. HOW DARE SOME OF YOUR CRITICIZE HIM FOR BEING HIMSELF? He is a great drummer and a compassionate person, but he's not a public speaker. Please stop the insults. He doesn't deserve them. [rant mode off]

Forgive me for being cranky-- I have surgery on Monday and the only reason I did the speech today was to honor my friends and to honor the fans. I hope I did okay and if anyone wants a copy of my speech, let me know. I am sorry Neil wasn't there, but I know he is pleased that the band has now been commemorated forever. Let's remember that good things came out of this, and we are here to enjoy it and celebrate the band's success with them. Just my 2 cents.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/icon_hmm.gif

Thank you Donna.

She's probably in a better position than any of us to make the above statement.

(I'm shy as hell, too. I really hope no one hates me for it).

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (troutman @ Jun 25 2010, 07:48 PM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jun 25 2010, 02:24 PM)
QUOTE (hazlnut @ Jun 25 2010, 02:36 PM)
This one is classic, Geddy walks off with the kid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhTiy5riYwM

Awesome biggrin.gif

that made my hour.

By the way, that's one lucky kid, hope he grows up to like Rush so this would be an honor for him.

Nice! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

His body guard is not to be fu**** with. laugh.gif tongue.gif

Oh my god! laugh.gif What a lucky kid! I love Ged. tongue.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 25 2010, 08:10 PM)
QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Jun 25 2010, 07:24 PM)

Some of you are breaking my heart. Please stop the Neil-bashing. Let me tell you something and you can do what you want with it. Neil is shy. Painfully shy. So am I, and believe me, it's hard to get up in front of strangers and talk when it's not your comfort zone. He sent his family. They were there on his behalf. But he couldn't do it. HOW DARE SOME OF YOUR CRITICIZE HIM FOR BEING HIMSELF? He is a great drummer and a compassionate person, but he's not a public speaker. Please stop the insults. He doesn't deserve them. [rant mode off]

Forgive me for being cranky-- I have surgery on Monday and the only reason I did the speech today was to honor my friends and to honor the fans. I hope I did okay and if anyone wants a copy of my speech, let me know. I am sorry Neil wasn't there, but I know he is pleased that the band has now been commemorated forever. Let's remember that good things came out of this, and we are here to enjoy it and celebrate the band's success with them. Just my 2 cents.

I dont know who that is, but we know he's shy. He's a recluse, anti-social, we all know the type. There's many people like that and there's nothing at all wrong with it.

But this guy is in a position where people idol him, and he knows that, and even when he is receiving a great honor such as this, because of his fears of strangers he cant just show up, sign some autographs and jump on the bike again?

Jesus dude, take some anti anxiety pills like Xanax or something if you need to, this really is something you should be at.

I remember reading that with his previous wife, they were not actually married at a ceremony like most people, but they were married through common law marriage. Ill bet anything this was because of his social issues. I know a guy like this, he didnt want to have a wedding because he was so paranoid about being the center of attention of a lot of people, so he did the same thing. It's really sad to see people like this.

i think he went to a darwin book signing instead. laugh.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 25 2010, 09:10 PM)

I dont know who that is, but we know he's shy. He's a recluse, anti-social, we all know the type. There's many people like that and there's nothing at all wrong with it.

But this guy is in a position where people idol him, and he knows that, and even when he is receiving a great honor such as this, because of his fears of strangers he cant just show up, sign some autographs and jump on the bike again?

Jesus dude, take some anti anxiety pills like Xanax or something if you need to, this really is something you should be at.

I remember reading that with his previous wife, they were not actually married at a ceremony like most people, but they were married through common law marriage. Ill bet anything this was because of his social issues. I know a guy like this, he didnt want to have a wedding because he was so paranoid about being the center of attention of a lot of people, so he did the same thing. It's really sad to see people like this.

Okay, so Neil should just get loaded up on drugs to make a few fans happy. Perhaps he's tried and it doesn't work for him?

AND BACK ON TOPIC

f**k MICHAEL JACKSON... HIS STUPID ROTTING CORPSE GOT THREE SEGMENTS ON THE 5pm LOCAL NEWS ON ABC...

RUSH got 0.

It was sickening. What a waste of News Space.

Hopefully the late night edition of the local news will give RUSH a nod.

....It's the Olympics all over again.... comp26.gif rage.gif rage.gif wtf.gif wtf.gif

I dont know who that is, but we know he's shy. He's a recluse, anti-social, we all know the type.

Wait, wait, wait...

Are you f**king with us? You don't know who Donna Halper is? She's the DJ who played "Working Man" in Cleveland back in 1974. She's pretty much responsible for Rush getting a foothold here in the USA.

take a step back for a sec, dude. you seriously don't know who Donna Halper is?? She got them their first ever airplay in the US on (she was the music director at WMMS in Cleveland), and even called all of her competing radio stations to get them to play their album. Without her, most likely they wouldn't be where they are today. ranton.gif You might want to do a little research before going off like that. If someone like her, who knows the guys as well as she does (37 year friendship and all that) says that Neil is painfully shy, dude - just deal with it. I am really getting sick and tired of all the "Neil is a dick" bullshit. Leave the guy alone. Do you want him to just give up altogether? Never write, record or tour again? He does what he does how he wants to do it. He doesn't like the "celebrity" aspect of being a touring musician. SO WHAT??! Why does that matter so much to you?? The guy creates great music with his band. Enjoy the music, don't hate on the guy who helps to write and perform it. rantoff.gif

I did notice that Geddy said in his speech that Neil was motorcycling his way to their first gig, which was the reason he wasn't there, but Donna is saying it's because he was painfully shy. If the latter is the case, which makes more sense, then Geddy's comment was just a a cover-up which is unfortunate.

I understand where Donna is coming from, but I still think he should have been there. Kind of an odd profession to choose if you're painfully shy, but whatever. As I said before, I usually am cool with him being aloof, but this is one event that I think he should have made an exception for. Just my opinion. Obviously YMMV.

It doesn't bother me either way that he wasn't there.

And you know that event would not make the news. It's more important to cover Michael Jackson. sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 26 2010, 07:31 AM)
I did notice that Geddy said in his speech that Neil was motorcycling his way to their first gig, which was the reason he wasn't there, but Donna is saying it's because he was painfully shy. If the latter is the case, which makes more sense, then Geddy's comment was just a a cover-up which is unfortunate.

I understand where Donna is coming from, but I still think he should have been there. Kind of an odd profession to choose if you're painfully shy, but whatever. As I said before, I usually am cool with him being aloof, but this is one event that I think he should have made an exception for. Just my opinion. Obviously YMMV.

Cover-up? I don't think so. Would Geddy really say, "As you know, Neil is painfully shy, so he's not here." No, that would be absurd.

Neil IS motorcycling to the next gig - it's true, and therefore not a cover-up. More like a tactful explanation.

As for trenken's comments - I don't know many Rush fans who don't immediately know who Donna Halper is, and her importance to the band.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 26 2010, 05:50 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 26 2010, 07:31 AM)
I did notice that Geddy said in his speech that Neil was motorcycling his way to their first gig, which was the reason he wasn't there, but Donna is saying it's because he was painfully shy.  If the latter is the case, which makes more sense, then Geddy's comment was just a a cover-up which is unfortunate.

I understand where Donna is coming from, but I still think he should have been there.  Kind of an odd profession to choose if you're painfully shy, but whatever.  As I said before, I usually am cool with him being aloof, but this is one event that I think he should have made an exception for.  Just my opinion.  Obviously YMMV.

Cover-up? I don't think so. Would Geddy really say, "As you know, Neil is painfully shy, so he's not here." No, that would be absurd.

Neil IS motorcycling to the next gig - it's true, and therefore not a cover-up. More like a tactful explanation.

Maybe "cover-up" is a bit harsh, as it was technically true, but obviously that wasn't the real reason he wasn't there. He could have been and had plenty of time to motorcycle to the gig if he wanted to, or had his motorcycle brought there and taken it to the 2nd gig.

I really don't usually EVER jump on any Neil-bashing bandwagon, this is just one thing I think he should have been at, that's all.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 26 2010, 08:31 AM)

We all know that Neil likes the open road to go to gigs. He is shy and humble. There are a ton of celebrities that have the same issue but don't get noticed as much. Some, I think, quit because it's too much.

Xanax is not a great drug to be on. I took it. I'd rather Neil be the way he is and deal with this his way.

As far as the mishap on the "where is Neil?" I'd like to think it's both. Neil probably went to long way to the show and avoided the situation. Remember, he did go on the Colbert Show...Which by my reckoning is a BIG step in the right direction.

I'd say leave him alone. Let him be the way he is and enjoy the band. Just my honest opinion.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 26 2010, 08:52 AM)
I know who Donna is. I had dinner with her just a few weeks ago. biggrin.gif

You're also a STAR!!! Up in the big screen!!!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 26 2010, 05:53 AM)
Great 6 1/2 minute video of Billy Corgan, Geddy, Alex, etc. including speeches:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8GldEBkRzs

Cool, I really enjoyed that.. This whole ceremony was pretty heartwarming, wish I was there.

and @ 1:04 when billy says "these guys are the best of the best" I love how geddy nods his head with his arms crossed "...f**k yeah"

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jun 26 2010, 06:51 AM)

You're also a STAR!!! Up in the big screen!!!

haven't seen the doc yet, going to get it once it's out on dvd..

Is CT in a good portion of it (as in recognizable screen-time/quality) or just a little split?

LOL I know, so did I laugh.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 25 2010, 05:37 PM)
If I worked my whole life to create something, and someone wanted to give me a star on the walk of fame, Im not the crying type, I only cry when my pets die, or people I know, but I would cry if someone told me I earned something like that.

Meanwhile Neil is riding his bike somewhere, something he's done for many years, and you only get this chance one time. No matter what you say he just comes off as being a jerk. Its just a nice thing to do to show your face when you're being honored.

Dude, you do not know Neil. Apparently, you are lost in your own little world. Yes, being honored is one of the greatest things. However, fans are crazy. Think about come of the things fans do to get to meet someone.

Then, add to that, you are a humble and shy person. No matter what the ceremony is, Neil has a right to do what is best for him. Neil's family was there. Don't you think that's enough?

The fact that you have the warped sense to bash Neil makes you what are calling Neil.

Jack-ass.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 26 2010, 07:57 AM)
I really don't usually EVER jump on any Neil-bashing bandwagon, this is just one thing I think he should have been at, that's all.

...Except for all the posts I've read of yours wink.gif

Do you even really dig Rush, or just the sound of your own voice when you read your posts aloud to yourself?

QUOTE (snowtrooper1966 @ Jun 26 2010, 07:07 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 26 2010, 07:57 AM)

...Except for all the posts I've read of yours wink.gif

Do you even really dig Rush, or just the sound of your own voice when you read them aloud to yourself?

I guess I should clarify that I've never bashed on Neil previously for how he is with his fans or not making appearances, etc. I have criticized his lyrics.

And wow, hi, nice to meet you too! tongue.gif unsure.gif

Archived