OFFICIAL Caravan and BU2B reaction thread

Presto-digitation

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After 1st listen, I'm more into BU2B. Great Vapor Trails atmosphere with a better mix. Love it.

As for Caravan - gee, that's the shrewdest song they've put out for a long time. Fine stuff that'll havbe to grow on me. And sure will ...

So glad they're still alive and kicking!

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jun 5 2010, 08:09 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 4 2010, 03:55 PM)
My favorite forum post about the new songs (not TRF):

In songwriting terms, these .. tracks don't even exist for me. Listening to Caravan again now. More or less any dullard with a guitar could have come up with a dull sequence of riffs like this, few professional singers would have made as godawful a job of failing to integrate a vocal melody into it, and any clown could have bolted the various bits together at least as well as has happened here.

With the best will in the world, I couldn't sincerely categorise this drivel as music.

Listening to BU2B now; I think it's slightly worse. Dumb feck riffola meets a cringing vocal line and a deeply trite and pedestrian chorus. The only thing I like about it is the way Peart has given it an Internet abbreviation as a title.

Keep in mind he's a dullard Brit (not saying all Brits are, pleaste don't mistake) who's written essentially the same review for every album after Hold Your Fire. Simply swap out song and album titles and insert the same tired bits and recycled adjectives and there you have it.

He, at the very least might, earn himself an Emmy Award for daytime drama, not to mention a couple nods for overt hyperbole.

I must admit I was a little surprised and disappointed with this (obviously I know EXACTLY who you are talking about).

I have pretty much agreed with quite a lot of his assessments of things, but I feel this is totally unfair, as Caravan in particular is musically very good indeed (though I can understand the vocals criticism).

It does seem like negativity for negativitys' sake, which hand on heart I have never resorted to, any opinion I have expressed being an honest one.

Is it who I think it is? (Doesn't need a diet)sarcasm.gif

Anyway, I have to confess that when I heard the songs on YouTube earlier this week, I wasn't that impressed.

However, I was, finally, able to download them earlier today and, once the kids were in bed, I managed to give them a proper listen and I've totally changed my mind.

While they don't have the immediacy of some of the singles from Rush albums (Far Cry and Spirit of Radio being two that spring to mind), they cetainly have a lot going for them.

If this is the taster for Clockwork Angels, bring on the main course.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jun 5 2010, 03:09 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 4 2010, 03:55 PM)
My favorite forum post about the new songs (not TRF):

In songwriting terms, these .. tracks don't even exist for me. Listening to Caravan again now. More or less any dullard with a guitar could have come up with a dull sequence of riffs like this, few professional singers would have made as godawful a job of failing to integrate a vocal melody into it, and any clown could have bolted the various bits together at least as well as has happened here.

With the best will in the world, I couldn't sincerely categorise this drivel as music.

Listening to BU2B now; I think it's slightly worse. Dumb feck riffola meets a cringing vocal line and a deeply trite and pedestrian chorus. The only thing I like about it is the way Peart has given it an Internet abbreviation as a title.

Keep in mind he's a dullard Brit (not saying all Brits are, pleaste don't mistake) who's written essentially the same review for every album after Hold Your Fire. Simply swap out song and album titles and insert the same tired bits and recycled adjectives and there you have it.

He, at the very least might, earn himself an Emmy Award for daytime drama, not to mention a couple nods for overt hyperbole.

I must admit I was a little surprised and disappointed with this (obviously I know EXACTLY who you are talking about).

I have pretty much agreed with quite a lot of his assessments of things, but I feel this is totally unfair, as Caravan in particular is musically very good indeed (though I can understand the vocals criticism).

It does seem like negativity for negativitys' sake, which hand on heart I have never resorted to, any opinion I have expressed being an honest one.

He doesn't like having that pointed out either, it seems. Resulting to poor personal attacks. Really beneath him.

I'm really digging BU2B, my favourite part being the sort of musical interlude with the background synth, followed by the last verse:

Until our final breath

The joy and pain that we receive

Must be what we deserve

I was brought up to believe

And then Alex's diad solo... I felt he could have done slightly more there. A crazy solo like Marathon or something wouldn't work there, but maybe something more like the solo in Distant Early Warning.

After almost a week and several listens, my opinion of the songs has slightly changed. The enjoyment wore off quite a bit for me (especially Caravan)......I like BU2B more......The vocal melodies in Caravan could have been much better.....especially in the chorus. It sound a bit dull just repeating "I can't stop thinking big" over and over.....He should've used something vocally that flowed better there, not so choppy......IMO

These songs are a "superberrific." I've been listening to them constantly since their release, and I can't get enough.

I do hope that these are the least good songs and not the best songs on the album.

QUOTE (blindhouse @ Jun 6 2010, 03:17 PM)
From the first few seconds of Caravan to the last notes of BU2B I had a giant grin on my face. 24 hours later I am still smiling about how much ass these guys kick.

It's been 5 days and I still feel that way. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Standstill @ Jun 6 2010, 09:08 PM)
Both songs are jamming.  Bass, Guitars, Drums and Lyrics.  More great music from RUSH! 2.gif

Welcome to TRF bekloppt.gif

Edited by xredsectorx

QUOTE (blindhouse @ Jun 6 2010, 03:17 PM)
From the first few seconds of Caravan to the last notes of BU2B I had a giant grin on my face. 24 hours later I am still smiling about how much ass these guys kick.

It's a lot, no doubt.

Imagine what the other 10-11 songs are going to be like! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 7 2010, 09:18 PM)
TWO DAYS not listening to either one and rocked out to both twice tonight. NICE!! Give yourself a small break and come back.

Fresh, kids...fresh.

trink39.gif

Yes. I did that. The melody of "Caravan" started to bother me and I concluded I didn't like it. I took a day off and listened to it with, somewhat, fresh ears. I take back my criticism. The song works. I like it a lot. All of it.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Jun 7 2010, 09:08 PM)
Every time I listen to them, esp Caravan, wow... just blows me away. I cant wait to hear them live!

Hell, I'll just be happy to get them on CD! You're right, though - live is going to be unbelievable.

These are still sounding good to my ears. Even the production or sound quality is growing on me. Tight.

Caravan:

That little vocal bit from 2:30 to 2:50 is definitely out there, harsh, avant-garde even. Gonna be a bitch for Geddy to sing and play live. Glad they limited this "stretching the limits" to 20 seconds, then went right back to melodic stuff.

Geddy bass rocks in this tune, esp during the instrumental section.

BU2B:

More catchy, definitely. Hardcore beginning, with the fake audience/crowd roars.

Best $2 I ever spent. 1022.gif

QUOTE (psionic11 @ Jun 7 2010, 09:35 PM)
These are still sounding good to my ears. Even the production or sound quality is growing on me. Tight.

Caravan:
That little vocal bit from 2:30 to 2:50 is definitely out there, harsh, avant-garde even. Gonna be a bitch for Geddy to sing and play live. Glad they limited this "stretching the limits" to 20 seconds, then went right back to melodic stuff.

Geddy bass rocks in this tune, esp during the instrumental section.

BU2B:
More catchy, definitely. Hardcore beginning, with the fake audience/crowd roars.

Best $2 I ever spent. 1022.gif

Totally Agree cool.gif

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jun 8 2010, 12:25 AM)
I wonder if Geddy used the Orange amps in the studio?

It would make sense, I think. Orange amps have a really gritty classic, vintage tone that's very obvious on Caravan and BU2B. Much more aggressive than Snakes & Arrows, anyway

Edited by Jake2112