OFFICIAL Caravan and BU2B reaction thread

Presto-digitation

QUOTE (GernTheFish @ Jun 1 2010, 08:34 AM)
My review - Love Caravan. Great song construction and lots of instrumentals. Not sure yet about BU2B. Not bad, but it feels a little bland and repetitive to me. Overall I'm pleasantly surprised.

My wife's review - All Rush sounds the same.

I made my wife listen to these 2 songs as well (she hates Rush). Her opinion...more of why she hates them...no melody, no catchy chorus, just jumbled noise and that voice...like fingernails on a blackboard (her words not mine, though agree about the noise part). ohmy.gif

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 1 2010, 10:46 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 1 2010, 10:45 AM)
QUOTE (SpiritOfRush @ Jun 1 2010, 10:43 AM)
Reading some of the comments, all the positive ones (and there are loads) are probably coming from newer fans who want that heavy metal, grunge sound)...I don't.

Yeah its definitely grungy. The main jam part of BU2B sounds like metallica. I dont know what caravan sounds like, its very strange sounding, tons of odd notes, not very melodic at all.

Wow...it's heavy, but I'd never say Metallica heavy (even Black Album). I'd still clasify them both as hard rock riffs.

That opening to BU2B isnt much different at all than what you would hear off their latest, Death Magnetic. It sounds very similar to a part in The End of the Line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejBpeci0o9c

Fast forward to :40. Similar to the opening to BU2B.

QUOTE (SpiritOfRush @ Jun 1 2010, 10:48 AM)
QUOTE (GernTheFish @ Jun 1 2010, 08:34 AM)
My review - Love Caravan.  Great song construction and lots of instrumentals.  Not sure yet about BU2B.  Not bad, but it feels a little bland and repetitive to me.  Overall I'm pleasantly surprised.

My wife's review - All Rush sounds the same.

I made my wife listen to these 2 songs as well (she hates Rush). Her opinion...more of why she hates them...no melody, no catchy chorus, just jumbled noise and that voice...like fingernails on a blackboard (her words not mine, though agree about the noise part). ohmy.gif

Same issue my girl has with all Rush after the 80s, no catchy hooks, not a lot of memorable melodies, the choruses do nothing for her.

I really enjoyed them both, Caravan more so for the intricacy of the interplay between all three of them.

I wouldn't describe it as grungry at all really, its heavy certainly but there is a crispness i don't associate with the grunge genre.

QUOTE (R.G @ Jun 1 2010, 11:51 AM)
I really enjoyed them both, Caravan more so for the intricacy of the interplay between all three of them.

I wouldn't describe it as grungry at all really, its heavy certainly but there is a crispness i don't associate with the grunge genre.

Same here - I hate grunge with an almost violent passion, and I love this.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 1 2010, 10:19 AM)
Ok, I listened with fresh ears this morning, even though I still haven't been able to listen to a higher quality version yet (coming soon).

While I enjoy both of the songs, I guess my honest assessment is that the songs are still in the vein of their 1993-2010 period.  I guess it would be ridiculous to assume they'd be really old school.  The new Rush is often a much heavier, more metal like Rush than in days gone by.  With these two songs, they're MUCH heavier than say anything they did in the 80's.  After the initial glow of hearing a new Rush song, I was hearing a lot of T4E and VT echoes that weren't completely thrilling me. Hopefully the album will contain some more mellow songs to balance it out a bit like a Nobody's Hero or Resist or The Larger Bowl (not like I love all those songs, but you get the point).

I don't mind heavy outright.  I loved a lot of Counterparts, the first three songs especially, and I loved a lot of Snakes & Arrows, the first three songs especially, and those all had tons of heaviness - if not always tons of speed.  I guess what I'm missing is a certain clarity, expansiveness and a simplicity.  I'm sure some of the clarity will be cleared up when I hear it in a CD version, but often Rush in recent decades make songs that are heavy and dense musically and lyrically without having a lot of room to breathe.  As much as I love musical complexity and radical time changes, sometimes simpler is better in terms of conveying melody and making a song more universally accessible.  These are songs, for example, I would never play for a new prospective Rush fan unless they were hardcore into metal or more modern prog metal, as I think it would be a bit much for the neophyte otherwise.  I'd rather ease them in with something more melodic and less in your face.

While I still miss the keyboards of old, I do appreciate that there are some keyboards noticeably present, more than I expected, adding a tad more than merely flourish.  The opening to Caravan is really pretty cool - it reminded me of the intro to Gene Simmon's Radioactive - they sound nothing alike, but the same spirit of an unusual more orchestral sounding intro that has nothing to do with the song.  That was almost as goosebump inducing to hear as the first time I heard the start of Force Ten or the ending coda of The Big Money, though not quite up to those standards.

A major positive is the absence of the Geddy choir (thank God!), but I'm still missing guitar solos.  Yes, Caravan has one, but it's hardly the Alex of old in terms of memorable soaring melodies.  He can riff like a guitar God, but I do miss the expansive soloing of olde. Lyrically I think the songs are good, though BU2B is a bit of a downer.  I guess it's got a similar lyrical vibe to Armor and Sword, but that was a pretty majestic song.  Lyrics like "no one gets to their heaven without a fight," which can appeal to people of vastly different faiths or those without one due to its openness to interpretation, don't come along every day.

So I guess so far (and my opinion might change), the songs are about as much as I could expect - truly great given the time period they're in, but they hardly transcend that.  If I'm being honest, if I stacked these up against anything on Moving Pictures or Permanent Waves, or in particular heavier older songs like Overture, A Farewell To Kings or Circumstances, they would be vastly inferior.  The intense heaviness of recent albums is getting a bit much for me.  While in one respect I can really rock out with these songs and a lot of their more recent works, I do long for a bit more subtlety and melodicism as opposed to such a sonic attack.  That's just personal preference.  I don't think you have to be unrelentingly heavy to convey intensity.

After 4 listens, I can't see loving these songs as much as my fave songs on S&A - namely Far Cry, Armor & Sword and Workin' Them Angels - those songs blew my mind and grabbed me immediately.  I don't see these in quite that same category, but they could grow on me more - maybe a lot more.  One big advantage of hearing an entire album is listening to songs in context, and here I'm missing some context and the flow of the song order that could only add to the experience. 

All that said, these are still great songs, at minimum a solid 7 out of 10, and my feelings on them could change a lot upon subsequent listens...

Great post.

I agree with some of your thoughts. I will never expect to hear the Rush of my youth (81-87 to be exact) that was the peroid where they could do no wrong in my ears...then came Presto and I thought that was a big speed bump. RTB was a decent recovery but Counterparts brought back what I loved most about Rush...power, energy and the guitar, bass and drums as the focus. I think the 2 new songs have the energy that Counterparts lacked (great album...but I can feel the tension between Alex and Geddy and their struggle of what direction to go in). I also hear a lot of what they started on Snakes and Arrows but with more energy. I loved Snakes and Arrows and I also agree about the first 3 tracks (Far Cry, A&S, WTA) blowing me out of the water. I put these 2 tracks on par with Armor and Sword which is one of my favorite Rush tunes in the last 20 years.

As far as the heavy approach...I love it. Yes it is thick...but jeez it sounds so current and they could teach a ton of young bands...how it is done. The day's of more open space where Alex just doubles his tracks are long gone. The open space of the 80's is something that has been in the rearview mirror for quite some time. They are a heavier band now.

Alex and the band for that matter are into the wall of guitars for a big powerful thumping sound. As far as Alex's solo's...I will reserve judgment till I hear the entire record. He came up with some beautiful classic solo's last time out (Faithless, TWTWB, TMMB, A&S, Bravest Face) all of those tunes had some signature Alex written all over them. The solo's on these 2 tracks....not the best but they work in the context of the songs.

But the playing.....oh my the playing is the key and the thing that has me more excited than anything else. They sound like they are just flat out back into jamming, time sig changes....the elements that have been missing for a while that harkens you back to their golden age.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 1 2010, 11:02 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 1 2010, 11:53 AM)
My boyfriend just doesn't like it because its "old".

Dispose of him immediately. wink.gif

Haha, no, unfortunately, I love him to death tongue.gif I've put up with his lack of Rush worship for 2 and a half years now so... I'm pretty much used to it.

And he agreed to go to see Rush in concert with me so, I can't really fault him for not liking "anything old". It does annoy me sometimes however.

It's a good thing I like many of the new bands that he likes.

I can't wait to listen to these on something besides a stupid iPod. It'll do for now, I suppose.

(My fault for kicking my computer and breaking the CD burner).

HOLY HELL CARAVAN IS CRAZY!!!

my heart's pounding in my neck after hearing that!!

Been a while since a RUSH tune grabbed me by the ears and dragged me somewhere!

WOW!!!

best comment so far: they sound hungry!! and boy do they ever!!

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 1 2010, 11:04 AM)

Haha, no, unfortunately, I love him to death tongue.gif I've put up with his lack of Rush worship for 2 and a half years now so... I'm pretty much used to it.

And he agreed to go to see Rush in concert with me so, I can't really fault him for not liking "anything old". It does annoy me sometimes however.

LMAO @ "unfortunately" biggrin.gif

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 1 2010, 12:04 PM)

That's cool...I was just playing! laugh.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 1 2010, 11:08 AM)

That's cool...I was just playing! laugh.gif

laugh.gif I know. One day I'll indoctrinate him into Rush.

I agree about the vocal phrasing (Caravan more in particular). It is very hard to do when someone else is writing the words...and then you write the music after. Geddy has been really good at making it work...but yes...sometimes it does sound awkward and is not always so smooth.

Presto is a perfect example of a lot of songs with too much to say and trying to pack it in....that record has a lot of those moments IMO.

But...it really does not take away from the song to make it fall flat...not even close.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 31 2010, 10:28 PM)
I'm laughing thinking about Geddy's response to that ridiculous "Isn't it about time you guys hung it up and let some younger bands take over?" question at the Hall of Fame induction.

These guys are 56, 56, and 57 years old and they have chunks of younger bands in their stool.

They're superheroes. That's the only explanation. smile.gif

LOL!!!!!!

Very funny!

....and completely true!

laugh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 1 2010, 10:46 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 1 2010, 08:33 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 1 2010, 10:19 AM)
While I enjoy both of the songs, I guess my honest assessment is that the songs are still in the vein of their 1993-2010 period.

Considering what year it is that is not too surprising is it? tongue.gif

well yes, i know that's an obvious statement, but you have to take in context with my full post. wink.gif tongue.gif moon.gif

biggrin.gif just giving you a little grief! trink39.gif

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 1 2010, 11:04 AM)

Weird anecdote...

( my comment about your avatar solidified the image of your face enough into my memory) you must have a twin that lives in Montreal.

I was cycling last night and this girl was walking out of a home on Rue Boyer and I thought she was going to walk right into me and cause an accident. And she looked exactly like you (facially) I guess I wouldnt have remarked such a thing if I wasnt thinking about possible hospital bills for a split second.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 1 2010, 11:12 AM)
I agree about the vocal phrasing (Caravan more in particular). It is very hard to do when someone else is writing the words...and then you write the music after. Geddy has been really good at making it work...but yes...sometimes it does sound awkward and is not always so smooth.

Presto is a perfect example of a lot of songs with too much to say and trying to pack it in....that record has a lot of those moments IMO.

But...it really does not take away from the song to make it fall flat...not even close.

Feel the same. It's not a deal-killer to me.

I don't get why he says it's "old"?!!!!

NO DUDE IT'S BRAND f***ing NEW RUSH!!!!!!!

tongue.gif