OFFICIAL Caravan and BU2B reaction thread

Presto-digitation

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All right, I am a sap. Perhaps I'll come off this high in a day or two and find things to pick at, perhaps not. Right now I am savouring this.

After about the third listen, I got teary-eyed. I really did. This does not happen. Ever. It has never happened with any new Rush release.

It's a combination of things, I think; all this waiting and these high expectations coupled with "will they still have it?"

And then, the music itself. THIS is what happens when a band puts everything into it. These two tracks. . .golden. Very, very special. Call me nuts but I feel almost PRIVILEGED to be a fan right now.

I guess I should finally chime in after 12 pages in this thread!

As expected, both songs kicked my ass and once again, the Boys continue to prove to me that they cannot let me down.

CARAVAN - EPIC intro! I LOVE the intro...it sounds almost nothing like anything that Rush has ever done, and that was perfect! What a killer opening track. This song has even more intensity to me, than Far Cry did upon first listen in 2007. Dunno why, but I love that line "going where I want, instead of where I should". Ged sings that with such conviction!

Also, Geddy had mentioned that this song was a 'cross between Far Cry and TMMB'. I do definitely hear 'Far Cry', specifically the part when he says "on my way at last"...reminds me of "I can get back on" from Far Cry. During the beginning of the breakdown section, I think I hear some 'Secret Touch' in there. Awesome bass playing, amazing drum fills from Neil, and that opening guitar riff is really awesome.

BU2B - Dark, Dark, Dark! Certainly the darker of the two tracks, and arguably one of their most serious / darkest tracks in a long time (along with Armor & Sword). While I see the whole 'religious' stuff as the basis of the song, I am relieved that it is nothing like some of the S&A stuff. Geddy's bass playing is intense...and actually, I think his bass playing from 0:40-0:58 is some of the fastest playing he's done since Turn The Page! Amazing!

Also, a lot of people here may hate me for saying this, but for those who know the Finnish band HIM, I think musically, this song has a HIM-like vibe with those eerie keyboards behind some heavy guitars and dark lyrics. Of course, I'm a big HIM fan, so no worries...it's a compliment. I love what they've done here!

Caravan is probably my favourite of the two, for now anyway. But they both have a hunger and conviction in them that you can feel the raw energy from the Guys...similar to that of 2112 even.

Bottom line...these songs kick major ass. Just an unbelivable return. Just with these two songs...they have proven that they still have plenty left in the tank! Like everyone else, the only thing I dread is having to now wait roughly 8-10 months for the rest of 'Clockwork Angels'!

My review - Love Caravan. Great song construction and lots of instrumentals. Not sure yet about BU2B. Not bad, but it feels a little bland and repetitive to me. Overall I'm pleasantly surprised.

My wife's review - All Rush sounds the same.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 1 2010, 07:20 AM)
QUOTE (bigalfan @ Jun 1 2010, 07:29 AM)
I must have really bad hearing. I keep reading posts that say how much better these two songs are than anything they've written in years - specifically from VT and esp. S&A. Are they really THAT much different than One Little Victory, Peaceable Kingdom, Armor & Sword, Far Cry or Spindrift? What am I missing? Don't get me wrong, I like 'em - a lot - and can appreciate the fresh "new" arrangements, but (paraphrasing), "Thank God, they're back!" and "This is SO much better!" Really? Sounds like Rush since Counterparts to me!

Something to remember -- this is the first time they've written a full-band extended instrumental break (as opposed to just a guitar solo) since "Mission" on HYF, which was 23 years ago. That is a BIG deal. Also present are tempo and time sig changes (a prog thing that has been largely missing from their recent work), and the use of the "flourish" keyboards, not heard since T4E. These are things a lot of people have loved about Rush, and they're glad to hear them again.

goodpost.gif

listening to these songs on a proper system is a must. it wasnt until late last night that I got a chance to play them with the respect they deserve. i think there's something for everyone in these two songs. its funny, knowing some people's tendencies on here, i couldnt help but smile knowing that most fans here will find something very exciting in these two songs. ive spent the morning listening to both and B2B is really hitting a chord with me. and like so many have already said, i find it simply amazing that 20-something years after i picked up my first rush album, these guys are still fresh and relevant in my life, and can still give me that chill and a smile plastered on my face.

they better get everyone off the curbs tonight for my drive home!

QUOTE (GernTheFish @ Jun 1 2010, 08:34 AM)
My review - Love Caravan. Great song construction and lots of instrumentals. Not sure yet about BU2B. Not bad, but it feels a little bland and repetitive to me. Overall I'm pleasantly surprised.

My wife's review - All Rush sounds the same.

LOL!! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Cyclops @ Jun 1 2010, 08:36 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 1 2010, 07:20 AM)
QUOTE (bigalfan @ Jun 1 2010, 07:29 AM)
I must have really bad hearing. I keep reading posts that say how much better these two songs are than anything they've written in years - specifically from VT and esp. S&A. Are they really THAT much different than One Little Victory, Peaceable Kingdom, Armor & Sword, Far Cry or Spindrift? What am I missing? Don't get me wrong, I like 'em - a lot - and can appreciate the fresh "new" arrangements, but (paraphrasing), "Thank God, they're back!" and "This is SO much better!" Really? Sounds like Rush since Counterparts to me!

Something to remember -- this is the first time they've written a full-band extended instrumental break (as opposed to just a guitar solo) since "Mission" on HYF, which was 23 years ago. That is a BIG deal. Also present are tempo and time sig changes (a prog thing that has been largely missing from their recent work), and the use of the "flourish" keyboards, not heard since T4E. These are things a lot of people have loved about Rush, and they're glad to hear them again.

goodpost.gif

+ 2

Well said.

YES!!!!!

I downloaded them both separately from iTunes and didn't know you could get a pdf with them. Can someone scan and post that?

For what it's worth (not much), here's my review:

Both songs are VERY HEAVY and dark, less catchy. And I can't help but hearing the lyrics/vocals and picturing Geddy reading off a page.

On the plus side, the opening sounds (ship bell, engine) preceding the start of Caravan are very encouraging and indicate to me that we have more of a concept album coming ("the Watchmaker"?). The intro to Caravan is really cool. Also the middle eights and choruses in both songs are the strongest parts, particularly starting around the 3:23 and 4:00 marks in Caravan. Neil has some great accent fills with flams and rolls on the snare, and a HUGE fill at 3:57 in Caravan (reminds me of the end of LVS).

Overall, this is a reaffirmation of the S&A direction of sludge metal from songs like Spindrift and Armor & Sword. Though it's missing the underpinnings of acoustic guitar, which I think is a good thing. There are a few parts which could've been outtakes from Counterparts too (4:15 in Caravan).

I think there is a bit of a Porcupine Tree influence here, mostly in the conceptual direction. They seem to have taken more of the Tool aspect of PT, and less of the Floyd sounds. Hopefully the album will have some more of that kind of thing. And maybe the album will have a few bright and pretty parts too. I hate to think the whole thing will be as bludgeoning.

They'll probably grow on me, they usually do. But we're a dedicated bunch who are somewhat determined to like the music, even if it takes 20 listens. I kinda hope they will also have a couple of songs on this record that are just joyous catchy rock that make me smile and sing along upon first listen.

QUOTE (chrxtopher @ Jun 1 2010, 10:27 AM)
For what it's worth (not much), here's my review:
Both songs are VERY HEAVY and dark, less catchy. And I can't help but hearing the lyrics/vocals and picturing Geddy reading off a page.

On the plus side, the opening sounds (ship bell, engine) preceding the start of Caravan are very encouraging and indicate to me that we have more of a concept album coming ("the Watchmaker"?). The intro to Caravan is really cool. Also the middle eights and choruses in both songs are the strongest parts, particularly starting around the 3:23 and 4:00 marks in Caravan. Neil has some great accent fills with flams and rolls on the snare, and a HUGE fill at 3:57 in Caravan (reminds me of the end of LVS).

Overall, this is a reaffirmation of the S&A direction of sludge metal from songs like Spindrift and Armor & Sword. Though it's missing the underpinnings of acoustic guitar, which I think is a good thing. There are a few parts which could've been outtakes from Counterparts too (4:15 in Caravan).

I think there is a bit of a Porcupine Tree influence here, mostly in the conceptual direction. They seem to have taken more of the Tool aspect of PT, and less of the Floyd sounds. Hopefully the album will have some more of that kind of thing. And maybe the album will have a few bright and pretty parts too. I hate to think the whole thing will be as bludgeoning.

They'll probably grow on me, they usually do. But we're a dedicated bunch who are somewhat determined to like the music, even if it takes 20 listens. I kinda hope they will also have a couple of songs on this record that are just joyous catchy rock that make me smile and sing along upon first listen.

So what you're saying is that at least for now you don't want to conceive children to these songs? wink.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 1 2010, 08:22 AM)
All right, I am a sap. Perhaps I'll come off this high in a day or two and find things to pick at, perhaps not. Right now I am savouring this.

After about the third listen, I got teary-eyed. I really did. This does not happen. Ever. It has never happened with any new Rush release.

It's a combination of things, I think; all this waiting and these high expectations coupled with "will they still have it?"

And then, the music itself. THIS is what happens when a band puts everything into it. These two tracks. . .golden. Very, very special. Call me nuts but I feel almost PRIVILEGED to be a fan right now.

Alright... now I want to cry.

I love that feeling, where I feel "privileged" to be a fan. I feel very proud to say that I GET Rush, where others don't.

And I agree: maybe in another day or two, I'll come down from this high. But right now, I'm enjoying the hell out of this. I've probably heard both songs about fifty times already, and it's not getting old yet.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jun 1 2010, 07:42 AM)
Oh dear.....

After a good few listens, I am still very impressed musically with Caravan in particular, but I have to confess Geddys vocal delivery is beginning to irritate me...This should really have been addressed more here, as they've made a really good stab at fixing all the other issues that have plagued their compositions.

I can't believe that he doesn't notice this, so am forced to conclude that he is just unable to sing in a different key/phrasing....pity, as it is the only thing stopping this being pretty good.

I also listened to them back to back with Freewill and natural Science and I'm afraid they don't really come close to that level when you hear them in context.

Still, good effort and encouraging.

I agree about comparing them to NAtural Science and Freewill...no comparison on the whole.

Nothing will ever top their output from 78-82....nothing. However...I have not heard them jam in a song like Caravan since Freewill. Very good stuff.

So I listened with fresh ears....in my car taking my son to school. Still love the tunes...I give the edge to Caravan. But both are fantastic efforts and the potential for a better record than Snakes is on the table. A tough feat indeed but they can do it. We are going to get a much harder and faster album if this is any indication.

I was in the camp and still am in the camp that Snakes and Arrows was their best album since Power Windows/Hold Your Fire. So they have had a rebirth here people. I loved Counterparts....and this definitely harkens back to that vibe....but with a ton more power and energy.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 1 2010, 09:29 AM)

So what you're saying is that at least for now you don't want to conceive children to these songs?  wink.gif

Ah, I see you've crossed over to the dark side and read my post elsewhere.

But actually I was saying that some wanted to conceive children WITH these songs, not just while listening to them. wink.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 1 2010, 09:34 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 1 2010, 08:22 AM)
All right, I am a sap.  Perhaps I'll come off this high in a day or two and find things to pick at, perhaps not.  Right now I am savouring this.

After about the third listen, I got teary-eyed.  I really did.  This does not happen.  Ever.  It has never happened with any new Rush release. 

And then, the music itself.  THIS is what happens when a band puts everything into it.  These two tracks. . .golden.  Very, very special.  Call me nuts but I feel almost PRIVILEGED to be a fan right now.

Alright... now I want to cry.

I love that feeling, where I feel "privileged" to be a fan. I feel very proud to say that I GET Rush, where others don't.

And I agree: maybe in another day or two, I'll come down from this high. But right now, I'm enjoying the hell out of this. I've probably heard both songs about fifty times already, and it's not getting old yet.

nicely put, its like riding a cloud of joy and ecstacy at the moment trink39.gif

2.gif