Camera use at Rush concerts...

ALifeson85

I noticed on my Rush tickets for the upcoming tour, they say NOTHING about cameras being prohibited. But, on the LAST tour, my ticket said "No camera/video allowed"...yet during the entire show, half the crowd had their camera phones and digital cameras out, snapping away. I have just a simple Sanyo digital camera...nothing "professional", that I would like to take with me to the show. Last time, I purposley left my camera in my car, just to be safe, but once I noticed how many people actually had THEIR cameras, I was pissed. Should I risk it this time?

confused13.gif

Edited by ALifeson85

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ May 31 2010, 04:01 PM)
I noticed on my Rush tickets for the upcoming tour, they say NOTHING about cameras being prohibited. But, on the LAST tour, my ticket said "No camera/video allowed"...yet during the entire show, half the crowd had their camera phones and digital cameras out, snapping away. I have just a simple Sanyo digital camera...nothing "professional", that I would like to take with me to the show. Last time, I purposley left my camera in my car, just to be safe, but once I noticed how many people actually had THEIR cameras, I was pissed. Should I risk it this time?
confused13.gif

I don't think they have the right to take away your camera.

confused13.gif

The people you saw snuck them in. Most tie them to the inside of the pants and hide it in their groin region past security. They can't confiscate it but they can ask you to return it to your car. A lot of venues do not allow them, but those same venues are actually pretty lax with the rule inside the actually venue. So if you get past security with it, you will normally be fine to take pictures, as long as you don't cause a disturbance or take a flash photo right infront of a security guard.

As Alex said above, it differs from venue to venue. In 2008 at Charlotte, they said no cameras, but I snuck a camera in anyways, took a few pictures, and no one took away my camera. This year, I'm seeing them in Atlanta and the venue is allowing cameras, so to be safe, I'd check the venue's site, or call if you want to be sure.

QUOTE (Bukaloo @ May 31 2010, 07:19 PM)
confused13.gif

The people you saw snuck them in. Most tie them to the inside of the pants and hide it in their groin region past security. They can't confiscate it but they can ask you to return it to your car. A lot of venues do not allow them, but those same venues are actually pretty lax with the rule inside the actually venue. So if you get past security with it, you will normally be fine to take pictures, as long as you don't cause a disturbance or take a flash photo right infront of a security guard.

I disagree. If it states on your tickets that cameras aren't allowed... don't sneak them in. One reason is simply because they aren't allowed. However, the main reason is because the band does NOT appreciate it. Security in some venues may be lax, but I've seen more than a few people get dirty looks from Geddy & Alex when taking pictures in venues that prohibit it. Granted, if you're more than 20 rows back, they probably won't see you, but even still, it's just wrong.

So, show some respect for the venue AND the band and just abide by the rules.

QUOTE (FOH Lights @ May 31 2010, 09:37 PM)
confused13.gif

I disagree. If it states on your tickets that cameras aren't allowed... don't sneak them in. One reason is simply because they aren't allowed. However, the main reason is because the band does NOT appreciate it. Security in some venues may be lax, but I've seen more than a few people get dirty looks from Geddy & Alex when taking pictures in venues that prohibit it. Granted, if you're more than 20 rows back, they probably won't see you, but even still, it's just wrong.

So the issue is the band doesnt want photos taken of them?

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ May 31 2010, 10:12 PM)
QUOTE (FOH Lights @ May 31 2010, 09:37 PM)
confused13.gif

So the issue is the band doesnt want photos taken of them?

Yes. When I went to see them at Germain Ampitheatre....they normally allow cameras but they had a sign saying that the band didn't want pictures taken and they made people take their cameras to the car. In fact, if security saw people taking pictures during the show they asked them to stop and told them the band didn't want pictures taken.

QUOTE (FOH Lights @ May 31 2010, 08:37 PM)
confused13.gif

Well, as a general given, it probably isn't smart to be taking pictures right infront of the band. It's probably the flashes that piss them off. If you arn't right in the front they won't care. I'm pretty sure I have read stories on this very forum of Geddy smiling for pictures midshow.

Show its really up to yourself to bring it in or not. Snapping a few memory photos isn't going to piss off the band, from what I can tell. Just know that you risk losing your camera if you arn't smart with it. And if you do try to sneak it in, go a little early incase you have to return it to your car.

What I was thinking about is BBs and cell phones. Essentially, everyone there has a camera. If no flash, is it still a problem, even if in front? Is it vanity? Does it simply freak them out to have people taking their picture?

The guys know that cameras & Youtube are part of their lives now! One of the reasons they were considering calling the new album hand held devices!

cool10.gif

Edited by losingit2k

Well, you have to consider what would happen if they said cameras WERE allowed. People would be bringing in huge proffesional cameras and taping sets that would pull away from the sales of their proffesionally done stuff. I never knew that Rush was a camera hater though, good to know for the future.

not much they can do about the cameras built into cell phones. real cameras are a no no but can be sneaked in if u crotch them. once in security will tell u not 2 use it but they wont take it away. if they catch u at the gate with a camera they will just ask u 2 put it back in your car.

Go for it!

Sneak in your camera.

Take some pictures. You and hundreds of others.

At this point does it really matter?

There are thousands of photos of Rush all over the web from fans, pros and the band themselves.

Try not to use the flash up front. Otherwise I'd just do it. Take some pics.

It used to be that some dude was hoisting his girlfriend up on his shoulders for a better view, blocking people's view around them, now it's arms up in the air with cameras and celphones blocking everyone's view.

I would agree with those who say sneak in a camera but don't use the flash. Also try to be considerate of those around you and don't block their view holding up a camera for a while.

I believe the use of a camera at Rush concerts is 'grim-faced and forbidding'.

I think that if fans considered taking a camera to a Rush concert, they need to have a re-listen to 'Limelight' and 'The Camera Eye'. I think the lyrics sumarize just how the guys must feel about camera's at concerts.

I am sure that when Rush perform 'The Camera Eye' this upcoming tour, that I bet fans will be digging out their camera phones and aiming the eye at the band and snapping photos and capturing snippets of video.

No pun intended.

^^ huh.gif

For the poster who's like "if they say cameras, people will bring in huge cameras", that's bullshit. I saw Muse earlier this year, and they said no detachable lenses, but all other cameras were fine. That gets rid of all of those massive cameras, and lets people with small cameras (such as myself) take a few pictures. Plus, I'm in the lawn so it's not like my camera is going to make them have a trainwreck.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 1 2010, 01:45 PM)
^^  huh.gif

For the poster who's like "if they say cameras, people will bring in huge cameras", that's bullshit. I saw Muse earlier this year, and they said no detachable lenses, but all other cameras were fine. That gets rid of all of those massive cameras, and lets people with small cameras (such as myself) take a few pictures. Plus, I'm in the lawn so it's not like my camera is going to make them have a trainwreck.

This is correct. The venues that do allow cameras don't allow any with detachable lenses (what they call, "professional quality" cameras).

Again, as far as sneaking one in, this is about respect. Not only for the venue, but also for Geddy, Alex, & Neil. Geez, what happened to common courtesy and the ability to respect & follow rules... sad.gif

FYI: for those venues that allow photography, using flash when taking concert pictures is a complete waste and generally degrades the quality. Especially since most flashes only illuminate a maximum of 12' to 20'. So, unless you're onstage taking pictures, flash is useless.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 1 2010, 07:45 PM)
^^ huh.gif

Right, no detachable lenses is what I have heard too. There are 8 megapix cell phones, so.........

I'm going to have my camera anyway because I'm a bloody tourist without a car, and not planning to go back to my hotel to bring back my camera. On the other hand, what good is it to take your own photo's of the band? I'm sure there are much better pictures to be taken from the crowd than from a couple of old guys on stage!! laugh.gif

But even a small camera can have a 25-300 zoomlens, yes that's 12*