1990's the LOST DECADE

hazlnut

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (limeloaf @ May 28 2010, 08:04 AM)
QUOTE (LERXST69 @ May 28 2010, 09:45 AM)
QUOTE (VarianStar @ May 28 2010, 03:39 PM)
Considering that the 90s is my favorite era of the band, I won't be joining you either.

Maybe you're too young. The era in which you come in contact with Rush probably will be your favorite and it'll always stay that way.

Hm.. my favourite period is Hemispheres - Signals and I was born in 91'...

'93 here, but yeah Hem through Signals is my favorite era so I'm not sure what point he is trying to make.

Absolutely love the 90's material (of course, not as much as the 80's). Definitely would rather hear a concert of only 90's material than 70's or 00's.

My 90's favorites:

-Roll the Bones

-Face Up

-Where's My Thing?

-The Big Wheel

-Ghost of a Chance

-Animate

-Stick it Out

-Alien Shore

-Double Agent

-Cold Fire

-Test for Echo

-The Color of Right

-Dog Years

-Virtuality

-Resist

-Carve Away the Stone

BTW: I was born in 1990, discovered Rush in 2008, first love was a 1982 song, and favorite album is from 1985. So I'm curious as to what point Lerxst69 was making confused13.gif

QUOTE (greg2112 @ May 29 2010, 12:01 AM)
The crappy period is from Hold your Fire through Roll The Bones. PERIOD.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Hemispheres is probably my favorite Rush, but I've probably spent more time listening to Fly By Night than anything else. The guitar solo in Best I Can is one of my all-time favorites. The last verse in Anthem has been a personal "anthem" of mine for 25 years. I'd love to hear more of that snarling bass we heard in By-Tor and the Snow Dog. Rivendell is the first song I ever sung to both of my boys. I sang it as a lullaby for both of them and they love it to this day. That said, I love everything from FBN through Signals, but I also really like Grace Under Pressure a lot. Then they fell off the edge and started sucking. While I do like Dreamline, I think most of RTB is garbage. Snakes and Arrows is the best album they've done since Grace Under Pressure.

Anybody who likes any of the newer stuff more than the FBN-GUP era has no idea what they are talking about and probably prefers Van Halen with Sammy Hagar, Black Sabbath with Ronnie James Dio (I love Dio, but in the context of Sabbath, he ain't Ozzy), AC/DC with Brian Johnson, Metallica after Master of Puppets, Iron Maiden after Seventh Son, 90125 over Fragile/CTTE/Relayer/TYA, etc.

You like what you like, okay, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. If a friend who has never heard Rush before comes to you and wants to hear some Rush, you don't play Stick It Out or Roll the Bones. You put on 2112 and say "Now that's Rush!"

syd11 I agree as well. I think that there are a lot of great songs from the 90s. If Counterparts was not as good as it was they would have lost me after RTB.

Well I'm an old guy if 44 is old? Anyway I can't agree with you. Even though the albums weren't as great as in the two previous decades there was much to like!

Such as:

Show Don't Tell

The Pass

Presto

Available Light

Dreamline

Bravado

Where's my Thing?

Ghost of a Chance

Test for Echo

Driven

Half The World

Time and Motion

Limbo

Stick It Out

Cut to the Chase

Leave that thing Alone

Double Agent

Cold Fire

I don't know looks like a good compilation for Greatest Hits II!

I think what happened is that CD's were introduced during Hold Your Fire! Band had the added pressure of providing extra songs due to the extended time available on discs. Prior to that, they only had 45 minutes or so to make an album. Songs were more developed and the crappy ones were just thrown aside. Now they develop the bad ideas as well just to fill up the CD. I say go back to making albums or Cd with just 45-50 minutes not 80!

653.gif

2.gif Rules!

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ May 29 2010, 01:42 AM)

Anybody who likes any of the newer stuff more than the FBN-GUP era has no idea what they are talking about and probably prefers Van Halen with Sammy Hagar, Black Sabbath with Ronnie James Dio (I love Dio, but in the context of Sabbath, he ain't Ozzy), AC/DC with Brian Johnson, Metallica after Master of Puppets, Iron Maiden after Seventh Son, 90125 over Fragile/CTTE/Relayer/TYA, etc.

wtf.gif

That whole passage is just....ridiculous to me.

So they don't know what they're talking about because their own taste in music doesn't match yours. Great to see you're so open-minded.

In fact, my favorite album is after the period you mentioned. That would be Power Windows. Guess I'm just a bumbling idiot.

sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ May 29 2010, 02:42 AM)

Re-read your post again...

Perhaps it is YOU who doesn't know what you're talking about. moon.gif

OK OK OK, I'm glad I said MAYBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAYBE

Which also can mean "Maybe NOT" wink.gif

The point I was trying to make is, in my case, that when you get in contact with music such as Rush, which is most likely to happen in your teens, it mostly has a strong influence on you. The music you listen to in that period, will always have a special place in your memories. In my situation, when I started listening to Rush, there was no Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures. I grew up with those albums coming along the way, as a nice guide.

Any light in the darkness. Somebody out there recognising thes feelings??

I've been listening to Rush since Hemispheres was on 8-track, and I'm going to go ahead and say I prefer the Dio-era Sabbath to Ozzy-era Sabbath.

I'm not sure what my point is, other than people have different tastes and if someone prefers something that you don't particularly like, it doesn't mean they're stupid or have no taste in music.

I'm in the minority around here in my disdain for PoW. Does that make me less of a Rush fan because I don't like a record most Rush fans do?

(Don't answer that!)

To each his own.

Presto was the one that brought me back after being disappointed with the first 2 synth era albums. It was a 2.gif hearing them get back to being a power trio again after what seemed an eternity of mellowed out, poppy new wave. Counterparts was even more a 2.gif , as it was reminiscent at times to the first 4 albums (the debut, CoS, 2112, ATWAS being my first ones).

Bottom line is they've produced great stuff in every decade (synth era included). It's all good. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ May 29 2010, 12:08 PM)
Presto was the one that brought me back after being disappointed with the first 2 synth era albums. It was a 2.gif hearing them get back to being a power trio again after what seemed an eternity of mellowed out, poppy new wave.

This is my story!

Edited by Todem

Perhaps it's that their opinion differs from yours? I'll take Counterparts over every Rush album except for Permanent Waves and Power Windows. Why? Because I like it. I don't force myself to like Rush's older records because everyone else does, and I'm not about to start now.

And if you think my opinion is shocking... wait until you find out that there are a few members here who prefer Vapor Trails to everything else Rush have made. ohmy.gif

Edited by Mara

QUOTE (toddnbeth @ May 28 2010, 05:35 PM)
I wish I could find more to appreciate about the albums from the 90s (and I have tried) but I just cant. In my opinion, there are a few good songs here and there, but for the most part, Rush produced very little from Presto through T4E that I can appreciate. In contrast, I can very much appreciate nearly everything they produced prior to Presto and after T4E. Unlike many on this board, SnA is one of my favorite Rush albums. For me, the biggest problem with the 90s material is not the music but the lyrics. It seems so many of the songs consist of just one cheesy cliche after another, many of them are downright embarrassing to listen to.

Well, said.

With VT and S&A, NP is back in full form.

They are the only hard rock act from the 70's-80's still producing relevant music.

RUSH survived the hiatus and became better than ever IMO.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ May 29 2010, 11:46 PM)
QUOTE (LERXST69 @ May 28 2010, 09:41 AM)
HYF was the last flawless album.

I agree with this statement completely. With the exception, of course, of Tai Shan, High Water, Second Nature, Lock and Key, and Open Secrets...take these away and u you have a flawless album.

*Sarcasm detected*

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/9872/682fe4ff244ff88d342b5ad.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 29 2010, 09:56 AM)

Re-read your post again...

Perhaps it is YOU who doesn't know what you're talking about. moon.gif

Are you really sure about that? I'd welcome you to put that to the test. Go ask long time hardcore fans of every band I just mentioned and see if they agree with me. Every band has a golden age and it's never that hard to pick out.

BTW, I know I'm new here so y'all don't know me or anything and can't know the tone of my message. Yes, this is really my opinion, but I'm kinda just messin' with you.

Edited by amish_ashaman

QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ May 30 2010, 12:54 AM)

Are you really sure about that? I'd welcome you to put that to the test. Go ask long time hardcore fans of every band I just mentioned and see if they agree with me. Every band has a golden age and it's never that hard to pick out.

Lucky for us, 2.gif has two Golden Ages.

And we're right in the middle of the second one.

So enjoy.

QUOTE (Todem @ May 28 2010, 10:08 AM)
Love all their music. But we all have favorites. I was hoping for nothing past 1987....not because I don't enjoy the post 80's but because we have been hammered by it in previous tours. I am hoping for a true Time Machine experience in being transported back to the golden age of their catalog 76-87.

However I will not be dissapointed to hear the high quality tracks from the 90's. I don't think they will play too much though from this peroid. Maybe one tune from Presto, one from RTB, one from CP and one from T4E. I think they ignore VT and maybe play 2 tops from Snakes.

So I think we get 6 tunes tops from the post 87 peroid. I hope they dig deep though for the CP tune and Presto tune.

I disagree about the 90's being a lost decade. They gained a whole new segment of fan's in the 90's and we can thank Roll the Bones for that. That album drew in a bunch of new Generation Y Rush fans. They wrote some brilliant songs during the 90's:

Show Don't Tell
The Pass
Available Light
Dreamline
Bravado
Ghost of a Chance
Wheres My Thing
Roll The Bones (yes..this song rocks)
Animate
Cold Fire
Alien Shore
Cut to the Chase
Leave That Thing Alone
Double Agent
Test for Echo
Totem
Driven
Time and Motion

Absolute top notch Rush right there.

I believe that the Presto tracks were written in the 80's since it was released in Nov. 89. I realize that people are using the "close enough" argument. If so, are we free to consider Permanent Waves as a 70's release with a 1/1/80 release date?

^^^ I believe they use the "close enough" argument because the styles of Presto are reminiscent of what was to come in the 90's in addition to its release date. Hence, why PeW is still considered an 80's album, because the sound is more MP than Hemispheres. I personally don't agree with Presto being a 90's album, knowing that it was released in the 80's regardless of "sound," but I can understand where others come from.