What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

You won't believe it - the Bible. No idea what year it was written

How many are there, now?

I have actually read one of them, end to end.

Just not sure it was the right one.

The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. Somewhere in Genesis. So far, I've seen Adam and Eve, cicumcisions, the Ark, a load of begatting, man marrying two women, female servants being bonked by him and popping babies out when they're in their 90s, with some living til well past their 100s and incest. :blink:

That`s the best blurb for Bible I`ve ever seen :wub:

:blush:

Got to somewhere in Exodus, found the 10 Commandments; half of which I swear look different:

Me: It says nothing about coveting thy neighbour's ass.

Mr Babycat: (!)

Me: :LOL:

Maybe you could remind me of the original ten... I may have slipped a little :whipgirl: since Sunday School when I was 5

Brace yourself:

• You shall have no other gods before me.

You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.

You shall not take the name of the Lord in vain, for the LORD your God will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.

Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the LORD your God is giving you.

You shall not murder.

You shall not commit adultery.

You shall not steal.

You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor wife, or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor's.

I see no ass coveting going on.

:blink: :P

3`s an absolute peach :notworthy:

The only ones I recognise is 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 (all I remember reading for the 10th one was was "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's ass). I've no idea what 2 and 3 mean.

Two and three are related. Basically not to make a statue and worship it, see Exodus 31:18.

• Like 1

Decided to try a memoir as a diversion. Starting to watch Babylon 5 series again and remembered this came out last year.

Becoming Superman: A Writer's Journey from Poverty to Hollywood with Stops Along the Way at Murder, Madness, Mayhem, Movie Stars, Cults, Slums, Sociopaths, and War Crimes

By J. Michael Straczynski,

Peter Jurasik (Narrator)

Sounds crazy but I think I will enjoy it since the narrator played a character, Londo in the B5 series

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

How many are there, now?

The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. Somewhere in Genesis. So far, I've seen Adam and Eve, cicumcisions, the Ark, a load of begatting, man marrying two women, female servants being bonked by him and popping babies out when they're in their 90s, with some living til well past their 100s and incest. :blink:

Got to somewhere in Exodus, found the 10 Commandments; half of which I swear look different:

Maybe you could remind me of the original ten... I may have slipped a little :whipgirl: since Sunday School when I was 5

Brace yourself:

You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.

You shall not take the name of the Lord in vain, for the LORD your God will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.

Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the LORD your God is giving you.

You shall not murder.

You shall not steal.

You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor wife, or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor's.

The only ones I recognise is 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 (all I remember reading for the 10th one was was "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's ass). I've no idea what 2 and 3 mean.

Two and three are related. Basically not to make a statue and worship it, see Exodus 31:18.

Ah. Gotcha. Thanks. :)

• Like 1

A few things at once, mainly these two:

Moby Dick

Ship Of Magic - Robin Hobb

Anything by Robin Hobb with Fitz and the Fool. Escapism, worlds away sci-fi in the most personal ways - awesome.

• Like 2

Moby Dick

Anything by Robin Hobb with Fitz and the Fool. Escapism, worlds away sci-fi in the most personal ways - awesome.

Segue recommended Hobb to me, and now I might be hooked.

• Like 3

Moby Dick

My favourite author! Where are you up too now?

Moby Dick

Just started Ship Of Magic. Took a break for a while to finish reading Narnia, but Hobb's already won me over all over again. Loving the characters I've been introduced to so far.

• Like 1

Moby Dick

Just started Ship Of Magic. Took a break for a while to finish reading Narnia, but Hobb's already won me over all over again. Loving the characters I've been introduced to so far.

My favourite trilogy! But that's not to say the series peaks here, you have many tremendous moments awaiting you

• Like 2

In the Millennium series, I've read the sixth book called "the Girl Who Lived Twice". Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

How many are there, now?

Brace yourself:

You shall not murder.

You shall not steal.

Ah. Gotcha. Thanks. :)

Somewhere in Leviticus, around of animal sacrifice, throwing the blood against the altar, the fat of the tail, the kidneys, washing the entrails and the legs, which is repeatedly umpteen times. Literally, whether it's an ox, a goat, or whichever poor animal it is.

Just finished The Grapes of Wrath, Steinbeck.

Because I needed some grounding in all this crazy business around us.

It could have been called "Kernels of Rage"; Pits (in the stomach) of Crazy; Seeds of Contempt.

Brilliantly written book.

Just finished The Grapes of Wrath, Steinbeck.

Because I needed some grounding in all this crazy business around us.

It could have been called "Kernels of Rage"; Pits (in the stomach) of Crazy; Seeds of Contempt.

Brilliantly written book.

I love Steinbeck!

Brace yourself:

You shall not murder.

You shall not steal.

lol "brace yourself" - did Moses say that too? :P

51R5h4iJTGL.jpg

Written in 2018, this is Meacham's response to Trump's failings in terms of Presidential character. It's a refreshingly positive look at past American leaders like Lincoln, Roosevelt, King, and how they responded to crises.

• Like 2