What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

And also finished the Black Crowes biography by Steve Gorman, about a week ago.

My husband bought me that book for Christmas. It was an interesting, if depressing, read for me. I actually had more knowledge of the personal side of Steve Gorman (because he had a sports radio show that I listened to for years) than of the personal side of the Robinson brothers. I guess I had heard that the Crowes were somewhat dysfunctional but the book made them sound REALLY dysfunctional. I still love their music, but parts of the book were a difficult read.

4Co26efm.jpg

• Like 1

Herod - King of Judea by Alexander Krawczuk. It's amazing the records of the events of that era have survived to this day. By the way, Cleopatra should not be glorified. Just sayin'. ;)

And also finished the Black Crowes biography by Steve Gorman, about a week ago.

My husband bought me that book for Christmas. It was an interesting, if depressing, read for me. I actually had more knowledge of the personal side of Steve Gorman (because he had a sports radio show that I listened to for years) than of the personal side of the Robinson brothers. I guess I had heard that the Crowes were somewhat dysfunctional but the book made them sound REALLY dysfunctional. I still love their music, but parts of the book were a difficult read.

In one way it was a great read for me, because I was so deeply into them during the ‘90s (which is the focus of about 90% of the book), and to know a lot about what was really going on then- from Steve’s perspective, anyway- was enlightening. But to your point, it was also really sad, in terms of how much the drugs and the egos and just outright insanity was ruling them through all of that time.

They were the best live band I’ve ever seen, and I’d say arguably the best live band in the world for about five years in the early to mid-‘90s...and they were still always a great live band after that, too, but that era that covers Southern Harmony, Amorica and Three Snakes was really something remarkable- from young and hungry in ‘92 to coasting in overdrive by ‘96...2005-‘10 was just as good in a lot of respects as well.

• Like 1

Scam Me if you Can: Simple Strategies to Outsmart Today's Rip-off Artists, by Frank W. Abagnale.

The former king of fraudsters gives sage advice to keep you from being a victim, some very simple like, "ignore that phone message from (fill in the blank) urging you to act NOW."

• Like 3

I have started Candide. I have meant to read it since Clockwork Angels came out. I wanted to see what inspiration it gave Neil and that it contributed to his writing Clockwork Angels. So for my goals for the year, I have committed to reading 5 books that have been on my TBR for the longest and it ranks up there.

It is a strange one so far and the protagonist is always spouting this is the best of all possible worlds when he is experiencing terrible things. I know it is meant to be satire but I find it very unamusing. Now I don't know if I can read it after today, all is not for the best. We have lost a great musician and it hurts.

• Like 3

My resolution for 2020 was: Less comfort eating, more comfort reading. Still rediscovering childhood classics, finished Earthsea now starting The Dark is Rising sequence.
  • Like 3

Acid for the Children: A Memoir, by Flea.

Front cover picture of him, looks like he's sitting on a beach, smoking a joint. About a third of the way through the book he advises "see book cover". Bwahaha!

Last week, it was Lethem:

51tEqMkuANL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Which I recommend with some reservations (you're not likely to like the protagonist very much).

Then it was back to the music for this biography of Phil Lynott (been listening to a lot of Thin Lizzy lately, for whatever reason):

51CB2Z8Dy4L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

So far, what I've learned is that his mum was a serious POS as a parent, and it left him with some hidden long-term dysfunction, but TL's just gotten underway, so we'll see what happens next.

• Like 1

Finished: A Warning by Anonymous, A Senior Trump Administration Official. See SOCN:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/101561-president-trump-destined-to-be-the-most-embarrassing-president-ever/page__st__3580#entry4723585

Starting: Running Against the Devil: A Plot to Save America from Trump-and the Democrats from Themselves, by Rick Wilson.

• Like 1

Going thru the JD MacDonald stack. Reading the complete Travis McGee series, and alternating with his non-McGee books.

Great covers. In this one, Travis McGee looks suspiciously like Roger Moore...and is that Marsha Brady in the background? :wtf:

9780449141588-us.jpg

Finished this one too:

2231928.jpg

A kids book, but with some interesting ideas, and some Python-esque bits. RIP Terry :(

• Like 3