What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

The Complete Works of Edgar Allen Poe

You may be a different kind of reader than I am, but my advice to you is to interleave your Poe with other stuff. As great as his writing is, after reading X number of stories they start to blend together and it's harder to appreciate the little things that make each story great. It's like listening to all the AC/DC albums in a row -- collectively impressive, but you'll struggle to remember which bit came from which thing.

• Like 1

The Complete Works of Edgar Allen Poe

You may be a different kind of reader than I am, but my advice to you is to interleave your Poe with other stuff. As great as his writing is, after reading X number of stories they start to blend together and it's harder to appreciate the little things that make each story great. It's like listening to all the AC/DC albums in a row -- collectively impressive, but you'll struggle to remember which bit came from which thing.

:LOL:

Another body buried in a wall/under the floor...

I'm reading it with my 13yo son, which makes it fun for me. Poe was a favorite of my youth. We read HopFrog last night, which is a gem of a revenge story.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

The Institute - Stephen King. He releases a book every year for Christmas. My birthday is in November, so my parents have been buying his "new" books for me every year for what seems like 40 years. They're always stunned that I'm not surprised when I guess what's in the book shaped wrapping paper. :) I'm about 1/2 way through it. At times the story is suffocating, in a good way.
  • Like 3

Finally finished this monster:

691320.jpg

Quite interesting in spots, but needlessly repetitive and full of typos (ie: David Bowie is referred to as "the Thin White Duck" :LOL:).

Blondie and Devo make guest appearances.

And read this one last week:

macdonald%252C%2Bjohn%2Bd.%2Ball%2Bthese%2Bcondemned%2Bmcginnis.jpg

An older, stand-alone novel (not part of his Travis McGee series), this was pretty damn entertaining. I really liked the structure that he used.

8 people are suspects in a murder, and each person gets two chapters to tell their story in -- one before the killing, and one after.

The last two chapters reminded me a little of "No Country for Old Men." Good stuff.

• Like 1

I was cross referencing Rush on my library's website, and it listed a link for Geddy, so I naturally assumed it meant they had MFH in circulation.

WRONG!!!

The listing was for BBBoB, so I put a hold request in for it. Based on those already in line, it will be a couple months before I can get them book, but I'll wait. Of course if Ged does a signing close by all bets are off.

• Like 1

The Institute - Stephen King. He releases a book every year for Christmas. My birthday is in November, so my parents have been buying his "new" books for me every year for what seems like 40 years. They're always stunned that I'm not surprised when I guess what's in the book shaped wrapping paper. :) I'm about 1/2 way through it. At times the story is suffocating, in a good way.

Not all of Stephen King's books have been released every year around, and just before, and during Christmas. I've liked him, too. I'm wanting, and would like to read it, too, but when it gets released on paperback, then I will. I haven't liked reading books on hardcover. After finishing reading them, they can be more awkward to get rid of.

Edited by Derek19

Love P.G. Wodehouse. I started his books in 2004, checking out the audiobooks on cassette tape from the library. Needed something to make me laugh, get my mind off the political mess. I was out of work at the time and it helped to have something to distract me. The names are hilarious, Gussy Fink Nottle (sp) the guy who loved newts...Was a fun step back in time, what what.. :D I have a newer audio I just got from Audible, will have to give it a go because now is a good time for a laugh!
  • Like 4

I'm reading a fully illustrated hardcover copy of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson. The guy reminds me of a boss I used to have. :LOL:
  • Like 1

Every year on Christmas Eve my immediate family (wife, kids) exchange a book and some tasty snack, then we read and eat. My younger daughter got me this one:

41r%2BaEX8ifL._SX387_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

and I cannot recommend Munroe and his stuff too highly! His cartoon website (xkcd.com) is great (even if I do not get the computer programming jokes) and I loved his last book, What If? This one is hilarious and educational at the same time.

• Like 1

I'm reading Dream Psychology by Sigmund Freud. I've only finished the first chapter.

If anyone has an account at Goodreads, there was a security breach that exposed people's passwords.

I'm gonna see if I can close my account there.

• Like 1

Michael Chabon's fame as a writer rests primarily on his "serious" fiction, but he's a huge fan of "genre" literature (like Ross Macdonald, etc.), so he sometimes dabbles. In this one, he channels his inner Robert E. Howard (the Conan stories).

51CYqDJUZoL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I liked it fine, but it was not great. It was a great diversion, though, and if you like medieval-set sword tales set in dusty lands, it's right up your alley.

And then, apparently because I wasn't dwelling on death and destruction enough, I picked this one up:

51cAKZRsTgL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I loved the show, and so far the book is just as stomach-churning, tense, and awful! That's a recommendation, in this case.

• Like 4