What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

Tad Williams- The Dragonbone Chair (Book One Of Memory, Sorrow And Thorn)

My all time favourite work of fiction. I seem to read this mammoth series every single year...

I find it bizarre when people read the same books over and over. I have read a few books more than once, but every year? There are too many books to do that

My all time favourite work of fiction. I seem to read this mammoth series every single year...

I find it bizarre when people read the same books over and over. I have read a few books more than once, but every year? There are too many books to do that

I'd love to agree but these characters and the writing and the messages were life affirming for me and I crave a revisit if I haven't for too long. Same goes for Harry Potter.

Plus after nearly twenty five years he is publishing a sequel trilogy to this series and I want to once again immerse myself in this world.

I have read many, many books but this series is one I have no trouble revisiting.

• Like 1

I'd love to agree but these characters and the writing and the messages were life affirming for me and I crave a revisit if I haven't for too long. Same goes for Harry Potter.

Plus after nearly twenty five years he is publishing a sequel trilogy to this series and I want to once again immerse myself in this world.

I have read many, many books but this series is one I have no trouble revisiting.

I agree. It is correct that there are so many books that it may seem like a waste of time to re-read but actually some books are worthy of many reads. Personally I don't like to waste my valuable reading time on books I don't find worthy of re-reading. Good books have much to be gleaned by multiple times through them. Also sometimes the author has done such a wonderful job of creating a world that we can crave visiting there many times. :-)

• Like 3

I've been dragging around this book called "The New York Trilogy" by Paul Auster for a couple of weeks now. Gonna crack it open later on today. I haven't heard of the book or author before, so am looking forward to reading something new!

And I totally enjoy rereading books. sometimes it's not only about the plot, but the way it's put together. Good writing can bear serious scrutiny as well as many many rereads.

I have no problem putting a book down if it hasn't done anything for me in the first 50 pages or so. One of my friends has to finish every book she starts, which I find baffling and bordering on compulsive!

• Like 2

I've been dragging around this book called "The New York Trilogy" by Paul Auster for a couple of weeks now. Gonna crack it open later on today. I haven't heard of the book or author before, so am looking forward to reading something new!

And I totally enjoy rereading books. sometimes it's not only about the plot, but the way it's put together. Good writing can bear serious scrutiny as well as many many rereads.

I have no problem putting a book down if it hasn't done anything for me in the first 50 pages or so. One of my friends has to finish every book she starts, which I find baffling and bordering on compulsive!

I'm a fussy reader as well...i tried reading another Tad Williams series. I couldn't stand it...i actually read a few thousand pages before I gave up and I was so close to the end.

But I was nearing my own end lol if I didn't stop. Sheesh! Love the man's work but...ouch...since then I've found it easier to give up when something isn't right for me.

• Like 2

I hear ya on bailing if a book isn't clicking for you. I try to give it 50-100 pages and haven't had to give up on too many. Being choosy helps weed out the clunkers. Sometimes it isn't even the book's fault, it may be a great book but you just aren't in the right place or frame of mind foright it yet. I have many times revisited a previously tabled book to find it way better later and went on to happily finish it.

• Like 1

I hear ya on bailing if a book isn't clicking for you. I try to give it 50-100 pages and haven't had to give up on too many. Being choosy helps weed out the clunkers. Sometimes it isn't even the book's fault, it may be a great book but you just aren't in the right place or frame of mind foright it yet. I have many times revisited a previously tabled book to find it way better later and went on to happily finish it.

Catherine has been reading her favourite novel Wuthering Heights for the 354th time. She reads it while listening to the Kate Bush song of the same name! :smoke:

• Like 1

Catherine has been reading her favourite novel Wuthering Heights for the 354th time. She reads it while listening to the Kate Bush song of the same name! :smoke:

Catherine overload right there. LOL

• Like 1

Catherine overload right there. LOL

:16ton: :16ton: :16ton:

• Like 1

The Sound and the Fury - Faulkner (I am shocked to find I am getting into this better than Hemingway)
  • Like 2

Stephen King - The Stand

One of my favorites by King. I revisit it often; just did last year if I remember correctly.

• Like 2

Finished The Sound and the Fury and really am surprised that I liked it. I am waiting on the library copy (kindle version) of Absalom, Absalom. I think I may re-read Pillars of the Earth for something completely different while I wait. Edited by catherine
  • Like 1

Finished The Sound and the Fury and really am surprised that I liked it. I am waiting on the library copy (kindle version) of Absalom, Absalom. I think I may re-read Pillars of the Earth for something completely different while I wait.

I love Faulkner!

Also recommended: Intruder in the Dust, Light in August, and Sanctuary.

• Like 2

I'm going to start my favorite of Saul Bellow's books, Humboldt's Gift. I've read i maybe two or three times, but it's been awhile. It's been simmering in my head.
  • Like 2

Finished The Sound and the Fury and really am surprised that I liked it. I am waiting on the library copy (kindle version) of Absalom, Absalom. I think I may re-read Pillars of the Earth for something completely different while I wait.

I love Faulkner!

Also recommended: Intruder in the Dust, Light in August, and Sanctuary.

I have read Light In August. I can't say he is my favorite author but I am gaining an appreciation for what he is attempting to accomplish in the reader by making us work for it. LOL! And thanks for the recommendations.

Edited by catherine

breakfast-of-champions1.jpg

Been three months since I've read a book. Gettin' back on track!

Cool! Hope you like it. It's one of my faves, although Vonnegut didn't rate it too highly. The drawings are the icing on the cake.

I love his grim humour and the utter ridiculousness he finds in life.

If you're interested in reading more Vonnegut, I'd recommend Cat's Cradle, Galapagos, or Slaughterhouse 5.

His early sci-fi book Sirens of Titan is one of his darker works, but also quite enjoyable.

I ended up starting Abalom, Absalom today. I was listening to it while I was driving today. It's okay but a little harder to follow than The Sound and the Fury. Edited by catherine