What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

14 hours ago, Bahamas said:

Tell us, pjbear05, I am sure there is a lot of culture around that song and its history. Being a Canuckistanian, I wouldn't reach for a book on our national anthem.

But this is a play on words - not O Say Can You See, but rather, Hear?

The patriotism? The history?

What did you find interesting?

The history and the mentions of a few-to few in my opinion-of various renditions of the song.  The author was obsessed with the "best version ever" (Whitney Houston, 1991 Super Bowl 25).  There was a long review on Jose Feliciano (1968, World Series Game 5), Jimi Hendrix, (1969, Woodstock),  and the poem "The Defence of Fort Mc Henry" (Francis Scott Key, 1814) which is the basis for the original version.  Little or no mention, not even in footnotes, of some of the real "different" versions, such as Roseanne Barr (1990, San Diego, between games of a Padres/Reds doubleheader) Stevie Ray Vaughan (April 1985, Houston Astrodome, Astro's season opener), and my personal favorite, Marvin Gaye (1983, Los Angeles, NBA All-Star Game).  Alli n all, a disappointing book.

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2023 at 6:13 PM, Bahamas said:

Tell us, pjbear05, I am sure there is a lot of culture around that song and its history. Being a Canuckistanian, I wouldn't reach for a book on our national anthem.

But this is a play on words - not O Say Can You See, but rather, Hear?

The patriotism? The history?

What did you find interesting?

"the poem "The Defence of Fort Mc Henry" (Francis Scott Key, 1814) which is the basis for the anthem."  It speaks to seeing the flag flying after a hard fought battle, hence the sight of the flag surviving the battle.  It is interesting there are 3 verses yet we only sing the first.  Did it say anything about that pj bear?  Just curious.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2023 at 11:11 AM, pjbear05 said:

The history and the mentions of a few-to few in my opinion-of various renditions of the song.  The author was obsessed with the "best version ever" (Whitney Houston, 1991 Super Bowl 25).  There was a long review on Jose Feliciano (1968, World Series Game 5), Jimi Hendrix, (1969, Woodstock),  and the poem "The Defence of Fort Mc Henry" (Francis Scott Key, 1814) which is the basis for the original version.  Little or no mention, not even in footnotes, of some of the real "different" versions, such as Roseanne Barr (1990, San Diego, between games of a Padres/Reds doubleheader) Stevie Ray Vaughan (April 1985, Houston Astrodome, Astro's season opener), and my personal favorite, Marvin Gaye (1983, Los Angeles, NBA All-Star Game).  Alli n all, a disappointing book.

Thank you for that! And the details, much appreciated.

So a swinging, old school R&B wins, perhaps? I will try to look it up next week.

Now I see (lol), it is hearing the renditions and did it have anything to do with a big NFL game approaching?

There have been some odd and cringe-like voices over the years - and with some other sports - artists add their particular nuance. 

You wait for the anthem to begin...then slowly lean to a side...then squint into the television (or other) and then start wondering what the internet is going to say tomorrow. 

On 2/13/2023 at 6:00 PM, Rhyta said:

"the poem "The Defence of Fort Mc Henry" (Francis Scott Key, 1814) which is the basis for the anthem."  It speaks to seeing the flag flying after a hard fought battle, hence the sight of the flag surviving the battle.  It is interesting there are 3 verses yet we only sing the first.  Did it say anything about that pj bear?  Just curious.

Not much, basically the public's opinion of it is tl:dr.

Sorry for the response delay, I lost home phone and internet service Tuesday, just got it back.

• Like 1

Finally finished Battlefield Earth last night.  

Next up will be a short story collection by either Stephen King or Robert Silverberg. Not sure yet.

• Like 1

Going to start I, Robot.  Reading with an online group.  I know it is a bit dated but it has been on my TBR list for a long time since it is a classic sci-fi story.  Didn't realize it actually was a collection of short stories put together as a book. 

• Like 2

On 8/15/2022 at 3:19 AM, blueschica said:

Nicholas Sparks' books are a great read! Our family always vacationed in the Outer Banks area for many, many years. It is a really beautiful place! I hope you get to see it someday! 

66001983-11580553-A_cop_in_El_Marqu_s_Me

• Haha 1

It's Ok To Be Angry About Capitalism - Bernie Sanders

Not as good as "Our Revolution" by Bernie (my favorite non-fiction book) or "On Corruption In America And What Is At Stake" by Sarah Chayes (my second favorite non-fiction book) or "America: The Farewell Tour" by Chris Hedges (my 3rd favorite non-fiction book) but its still darn good.  So admire Bernie.

• Like 1

Lately, I've listened to some audio books by Jenny Colgan again in Swedish. Swedish has become The Language of Colgan books for me for some reason. I've felt like reading some entertaining feel-good stuff recently. 

The Quiet American has remained untouched in my audio book app almost for months. The story seems not to make any progress, and I'm feeling a little frustrated. I may give it a try some day, anyhow.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 11:51 AM, TheAccountant said:

It's Ok To Be Angry About Capitalism - Bernie Sanders

Not as good as "Our Revolution" by Bernie (my favorite non-fiction book) or "On Corruption In America And What Is At Stake" by Sarah Chayes (my second favorite non-fiction book) or "America: The Farewell Tour" by Chris Hedges (my 3rd favorite non-fiction book) but its still darn good.  So admire Bernie.

I am reading that now. I have never read a book written by a politician before. Bernie has flaws, and many of his policies wouldn't pencil out, but I can't think of a 21st century member of congress who earnestly cared more about the plight of the common man in America and did more in an attempt to truly improve things.

It was interesting watching Bernie 4 years ago or so on the Joe Rogan podcast. He was very well spoken, and calm, unlike his in-senate high-energy tendency. The Senate will be a worse place once he leaves it, and he doesn't have many years left.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, That One Guy said:

I am reading that now. I have never read a book written by a politician before. Bernie has flaws, and many of his policies wouldn't pencil out, but I can't think of a 21st century member of congress who earnestly cared more about the plight of the common man in America and did more in an attempt to truly improve things.

It was interesting watching Bernie 4 years ago or so on the Joe Rogan podcast. He was very well spoken, and calm, unlike his in-senate high-energy tendency. The Senate will be a worse place once he leaves it, and he doesn't have many years left.

Sadly true - I agree he does not have many years left.  At most one more term and I am not certain he will even run for it.  Some of the things he said in this book were very pointed at both parties and the press.  His honesty will not make friends in DC - not that he cares much.  He care more for the people of the US.

I think I recall the Rogan podcast.  I recall it being a very interesting question and Robgen asking Bernie at the end if Bernie in his time in the senate had ever heard anything about UFO's he could share with us.  Funny way for the show to end.

If you like this book read Our Revolution, once he gets beyond the 2016 race he goes into much more detail about his policy ideas then this book does.  I found it to be a better book than this one

14 hours ago, Richard Reyes said:

The Secret Chord by Geraldine Brooks. 

Horse was great so I'm exploring more of her work. So far better than I was expecting. 

She's a great writer!  I enjoy her a lot.

• Like 1

Teach Like Finland by Timothy Walker

Its ok.  Some family friends who are teachers told us it was good and my dad got it.  Both he and mom used to be teachers so he read it.  Thought it started ok but went downhill.  Since Mom is working on other books I took it to read.  I think dad nailed it.

Based on what I have read it could be best summed up as (1) less testing and homework) (2) shorter class days (3) enjoy your time off and don't work (much) on your time off (4) inspire a love of living through what you do in classes (5) frequent short brakes while teaching (6) hands on doing as much as possible (7) get outside - either for brakes or classes (8) try to inspire kids to ask questions and think for themselves.  At least thats what I hav picked up so far.  I guess if your a teacher (obviously I am not) you might get something more from it.  Not wild about it but its ok.