What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

On 12/11/2022 at 12:18 PM, Sun & Moon said:

Memory of Ocean (The Finnish original is called Meren muisti) by Petra Rautiainen (2022). What a story! 

https://issuu.com/rightsandbrands/docs/r_b_21x21_spring2022_issuu/s/15284608  

Political intrigue with environmental twists, a very unique storyline.  Might have a look.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 11:38 PM, goose said:

A collection of writings originally released in a column by a Sonoma CA journalist.  Throughout, he reflects on his choice to live simply among the Nature of an acre of land.  I really connect to its-l640.jpg

There is a book I go back to, often. It's about the populating of (middle) northern Ontario and the advertising of "free land" parcels to immigrants. 

Realtors and government agencies travelled across Europe looking for settlers in the mid to late 1800s to come to Canada.

Those parcels were often tracks of rock and lakes but by clearing some of the land, one could stake a claim and plant crops on the thin soils of the shield's rocky landscapes.

Thomas Osborne: How I Survived 5 Years In The Canadian Bush

Another (though not as often) is A Girl Of The Limberlost, by Gene Stratton-Porter, a more US story of pioneer history.

I will check this out, hoping for some cross-over!

• Like 2

Lord Foul's Bane. The first book in "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever" trilogy by Stephen Donaldson

• Like 1

Finished the Sacred Bridge a few days ago, very suspenseful ending.  On to my Christmas reading,  listened to Christmas 1914, which was very well done and sad too.  For laughs listened to Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris..oh little elf:rofl2: Almost done with Kindness Goes Unpunished,  Longmire  #3 (a re-read since I just saw the author in September and decided I wanted to revisit them again)  this one takes place in Philadelphia and Walt has got himself in a mess, boy howdy.

• Like 2

Agatha Christie by Lucy Worsley.

Fan of Lucy's. I watch all of her shows on PBS, Hoopla,  and whatever else I can find her on...

• Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 7:49 PM, pjbear05 said:

Oath Of Loyalty, by Kyle Mills (Vince F!ynn's Mitch Rapp series)

The Lives of Brian, by Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson's book caught my eye in the local supermarket. Had a quick flick through it but i got the feeling it was heavy on his Geordie years.

I understand that might have been a big part of his life but I was hoping it was big on the AC/DC years.

How is or was it for you? 

• Like 1

Castle Roogna by Piers Anthony - massive series about a land of magic with lots of puns and wordplay. This is the 3rd in the series I think and he's done over 10 or so. The first couple were fun adventure-type comic fantasy and I wonder if he keeps the level up throughout the series. 

Weaveworld by Clive Barker. Just finished the Damnation Game so was interested in continuing with a bit of Barker because I got hooked with the Damnation Game. 

One hand clapping by Anthony Burgess. Burgess is a bit of a literary favourite of mine even though I've only read 2 books by him. Partly his reputation of being inventive and being able to more or less turn his hand to different genres of writing is what makes me a fan I have to shamefully admit but I loved the 1st book I read by him (The End of the World news) so was eager to believe the reputation as well. 

The Rebel Angels by Robertson Davies. Sounded like an intriguing plot and another writer with a good reputation so I was eager to try this out. Only just started in parallel with the others but seems good so far. 

Was tempted to read the Kraken Awakes by John Wyndham aswell but I think I'm spreading myself a bit thin at this point!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Malignant Narcissist said:

Brian Johnson's book caught my eye in the local supermarket. Had a quick flick through it but i got the feeling it was heavy on his Geordie years.

I understand that might have been a big part of his life but I was hoping it was big on the AC/DC years.

How is or was it for you? 

The book was memoir of Brian's from his birth until his leaving AC/DC in 2016 over his hearing difficulties.

Yes, the book was a bit heavy on his Geordie years.  Entertaining nonetheless.

Re AC/DC:  "I will save those stories for another time, another book" is mentioned at he end of the book.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 8:03 PM, Malignant Narcissist said:

Castle Roogna by Piers Anthony - massive series about a land of magic with lots of puns and wordplay. This is the 3rd in the series I think and he's done over 10 or so. The first couple were fun adventure-type comic fantasy and I wonder if he keeps the level up throughout the series. 

I loved the Xanth books some years ago, but it is a matter of diminishing returns; after a while, they all start to blend together and get a little wearying. I think I read up through Heaven Cent, but have little memory of it (see?). I do remember liking Ogre, Ogre.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2022 at 2:59 PM, Sonatine said:

Lord Foul's Bane. The first book in "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever" trilogy by Stephen Donaldson

Oh, man, those books bring back some memories. Let me know how you like the over-the-top phraseology of Lord Foul: "Your suffering is not condign and will be unambergrised!" Woof.  Anyway, I liked the second trilogy better -- even though Covenant himself was a total wet blanket of self-doubt; White Gold Wielder, the sixth book, with its giants sailing ships of stone, might have been one of my favorites, and is one of the books that made me a reader.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

Oh, man, those books bring back some memories. Let me know how you like the over-the-top phraseology of Lord Foul: "Your suffering is not condign and will be unambergrised!" Woof.  Anyway, I liked the second trilogy better -- even though Covenant himself was a total wet blanket of self-doubt; White Gold Wielder, the sixth book, with its giants sailing ships of stone, might have been one of my favorites, and is one of the books that made me a reader.

I started reading the Covenant books on the back of reading LOTR back in the late 80s I think. LOTR is a pretty awesome tome and a hefty benchmark for others to follow. But a friend recommended Donaldson's 1st Chronicles and after some considerable effort I eventually became engrossed in the books - even though Thomas came across as a right miserable old git!

The last time I read the Chronicles (up to and including "White Gold Wielder" (1984)) was perhaps about 20 years ago. I have tried to do another complete read-through on a couple of occasions but I just didn't have that determination to do so not least due to the writing style of Donaldson and the way he describes characters and scenarios.

I have also completed LFB, which was never my favourite from the first trilogy, but will be enjoying The Illearth War next.

• Like 1

The Quiet American by Graham Greene. 

Breathing as a Tool for Self-Regulation and Self-Reflection by Martin et al. A comprehensive and practical approach to various aspects of how we breathe and how breathing is affected by our mental state and social environment.

https://www.karnacbooks.com/product/breathing-as-a-tool-for-self-regulation-and-self-reflection/37753/?MATCH=1

• Like 4

Decided to do another re-read, I have been in a reading funk for a while.  Figured some tried and true series would cheer me up and get my reading goals back on track.  A fun steampunk series called Magnificent Devices by Shelley Adina, seemed just the ticket.  The author has put out a prequel and a couple of short stories recently so I thought it was time to do it over again.  Just finished the first one Lady of Devices and into Her Own Devices. Kinda girly but just so clever it makes me laugh.

Lady of Devices: A steampunk adventure novel (Magnificent Devices Book 1) by [Shelley Adina]

• Like 2

Reading my first Stephen King book - ever!

Some of you inspired me to keep his name in the back of my mind and my wife is an avid reader of crime, mystery and fantasy novels. She shares the stories with me in conversation, but I don't always bite.

I wanted something completely different - and honestly, Barack Obama's A Promised Land is very interesting, but long and sometimes sleepy - so I wanted a complete change.

Fairy Tale.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2022 at 9:21 PM, Rhyta said:

Don't forget your local library, they are a great resource (speaking as a former library employee:smile:)  You can check out e-books from home.  I would bet they have it, the author is the same guy who wrote I am Legend I believe.  Happy hunting.

Hoopla has a nice selection, especially for audiobooks.  I don't go to my local Rancho Cucamonga library anymore but I still use my card info to get in.  The movie selection could be better.  Kanopy beats them in that department with a load of A24 movies and some Paramount movies.  My local library just a block south of me is with Kanopy.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 2

On 1/12/2023 at 7:49 PM, pjbear05 said:

O Say Can You Hear?  A Cutural Biography Of The Star Spangled Banner, by Mark Clague.

Tell us, pjbear05, I am sure there is a lot of culture around that song and its history. Being a Canuckistanian, I wouldn't reach for a book on our national anthem.

But this is a play on words - not O Say Can You See, but rather, Hear?

The patriotism? The history?

What did you find interesting?