What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

On 11/5/2022 at 11:55 PM, Bahamas said:

blueschica,

Thanks for the "Like"!

Here we are, in the forums.

What podcasts did you find, what are you reading, now?

I am listening to Slow Burn: Watergate, from the Slate website.  It is pretty interesting, about the Watergate break in and some of the minor players along with the big ones.  I like historical stuff.

On 11/11/2022 at 9:38 PM, blueschica said:

I am listening to Slow Burn: Watergate, from the Slate website.  It is pretty interesting, about the Watergate break in and some of the minor players along with the big ones.  I like historical stuff.

Have you looked at Rachel Maddow's podcasts?  She had a good one on Agnew over a year ago, Bagman.  Her new one Ultra is very good and scary too.  I have listened to 2 episodes and I am amazed how I don't remember hearing much of anything about the topic in my history classes.

• Like 1

New things, old things, re-read things.

Clive Cussler-Hellburner (Oregon series)

Joseph Wambaugh-Hollywood Station

C. S Forester-Mr. Midshipman Hornblower

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rhyta said:

Have you looked at Rachel Maddow's podcasts?  She had a good one on Agnew over a year ago, Bagman.  Her new one Ultra is very good and scary too.  I have listened to 2 episodes and I am amazed how I don't remember hearing much of anything about the topic in my history classes.

I haven't heard of those 2, thanks! They sound interesting!

• Like 1

Finished Death without Company and getting to the suspenseful part on Sacred Bridge...it's so nerve wracking I want to read it but had to put it down for a day or two.  One of the main characters is getting into a undercover situation and I am scared it's going to go badly. :ohmy:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rhyta said:

Finished Death without Company and getting to the suspenseful part on Sacred Bridge...it's so nerve wracking I want to read it but had to put it down for a day or two.  One of the main characters is getting into a undercover situation and I am scared it's going to go badly. :ohmy:

I haven't read it myself but that sounds like some good writing!

• Like 1

The Sound and the Fury, by William Faulkner

Last week I finished The Executioner’s Song, by Norman Mailer.

I’ve been reading a lot, while I was away.

• Like 3

Confessions of a Recovering Engineer

EOSR6548.jpg?format=1500w&content-type=image%2Fjpeg

I am a civil engineer. I've been taking more and more of an interest in transportation issues and the problems of the status quo of design practices in recent years. This and other resources have helped me question my own profession, and help determine what types of infrastructure I want to help design and build.

• Like 2

The Steal:  The Attempt To Overturn The 2022 Election and The People Who Stopped It, by Mark Bowden & Matthew Teague.  Red meat for the SOCN crowd.

Still Alright-A Memoir, by Kenny Loggins.

• Like 2

No kidding!

On 11/17/2022 at 5:49 PM, goose said:

Re-reading Brave New World, which my son is reading for the first time.

These days it reads more like historical fiction than a sci-fi cautionary tale 

• Like 2

On 11/18/2022 at 11:00 PM, grep said:

Just queued up Ready Player Two on the Kindle.   Let's see what happens next.

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but Spielberg used Tom Sawyer in the movie version of Ready Player One.

Is that why you are reading the books? No, not everything is about RUSH but it seems like a good reference/first step in being interested in the franchise?

31 minutes ago, Bahamas said:

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but Spielberg used Tom Sawyer in the movie version of Ready Player One.

Is that why you are reading the books? No, not everything is about RUSH but it seems like a good reference/first step in being interested in the franchise?

Nope - the Rush connections are a side-note really.  Same level of importance as every other Easter Egg in the book and movie. :)

• Like 1

On 11/21/2022 at 7:01 PM, grep said:

Nope - the Rush connections are a side-note really.  Same level of importance as every other Easter Egg in the book and movie. :)

Spielberg downplayed the Rush reference in the movie version,  Ready Player One had Rush and their music as key plot piece in the story.  I didn't bother watching the film, the book was great.

• Like 2

A collection of writings originally released in a column by a Sonoma CA journalist.  Throughout, he reflects on his choice to live simply among the Nature of an acre of land.  I really connect to its-l640.jpg

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

Memory of Ocean (The Finnish original is called Meren muisti) by Petra Rautiainen (2022). What a story! 

https://issuu.com/rightsandbrands/docs/r_b_21x21_spring2022_issuu/s/15284608