What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

On 10/7/2022 at 8:22 PM, Bahamas said:

Strike and Robin are the best couple I have followed, outside my general scope of reading (recommended by my partner). You must know, of course she wanted to write under a new name. It's not easy to publish a whole new series under a different name? And over time I think the series of her's is really, really good.

Yes it is a great series, I and my hubby enjoy the books very much.  I listen to this one on audio, the narrator Robert Glenister does a fantastic job.  Yes, I think she wanted to see how the books would sell without her name attached, same type of thing that Stephen King did with Bachman.  They were found out because the styles were so similar some readers figured out it was them.

• Like 1

Just finished The Cold Dish, second read and I had forgotten a lot of things about Longmire.  Going on to Death without Company and following that staying in Indian country; The Sacred Bridge by Anne Hillerman.  She has done a good job of continuing on characters from Leaphorn and Chee novels of her father Tony.

41sFOdZdUsL.jpg

51-CPefcqiL.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/7/2022 at 10:22 PM, Bahamas said:

Strike and Robin are the best couple I have followed, outside my general scope of reading (recommended by my partner). You must know, of course she wanted to write under a new name. It's not easy to publish a whole new series under a different name? And over time I think the series of her's is really, really good.

And I was just told (after showing this wanton forum business) that J.K. has an actual "story arc" and a "whole" plan for the Strike series, so that's pretty cool. Like plotting a mini series.

5 of 7 or something like that? Again, not my choice of topics but they are very good.

We wants us some Robin-Strike love action?!!!!!!!  :cheer:

1 hour ago, Bahamas said:

And I was just told (after showing this wanton forum business) that J.K. has an actual "story arc" and a "whole" plan for the Strike series, so that's pretty cool. Like plotting a mini series.

5 of 7 or something like that? Again, not my choice of topics but they are very good.

We wants us some Robin-Strike love action?!!!!!!!  :cheer:

I love those characters but have mixed feelings about them becoming romantically involved.  I haven't read the newest book so I don't know where they are at present...(no spoilers please)

It doesn't surprise me she has a story arc, she said she had the same for Harry Potter and tried to write it all down on that long train ride :yes:

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 11:51 AM, Krystal said:

Rebecca.jpg

Looks really "girly"? I could google, but what do you like about it?

School me, please.

1 hour ago, Bahamas said:

Looks really "girly"? I could google, but what do you like about it?

School me, please.

I think the reason why a lot of women relate to this novel because it's about living in someone's shadow.   You should never allow your partner's family or friends to make you feel like you're not good enough or that you're a placeholder for someone else. I imagine that this is how Camilla Parker Bowles felt when she married King Charles or how Princess Diana felt when she was also married to him.  Eleanor Roosevelt said, "no one can make you feel inferior without your consent."   Everyone has baggage, some more than others.  You just have to acknowledge that and do your best to navigate your way through it.   The last part of the novel is really fast paced.  There's a twist that you don't see coming.   It changes the way that you see the characters and their motives.  

Edited by Krystal
  • Like 2

I'm trying to find a copy of this ghost novel.  Stephen King's thoughts about it make it seem like a must read.  This is what he said:

"Hell House is the scariest haunted house novel ever written.  It looms over the rest the way the mountains loom over the foothills."

220px-HellHouse.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 6:51 PM, Krystal said:

Rebecca.jpg

I should read this, too. Thank you for reminding me. The late, great Jeremy Brett :heart::wub: played the role of Maxim de Winter in a BBC TV adaptation from 1979. 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 8:30 PM, Krystal said:

I think the reason why a lot of women relate to this novel because it's about living in someone's shadow.   You should never allow your partner's family or friends to make you feel like you're not good enough or that you're a placeholder for someone else. I imagine that this is how Camilla Parker Bowles felt when she married King Charles or how Princess Diana felt when she was also married to him.  Eleanor Roosevelt said, "no one can make you feel inferior without your consent."   Everyone has baggage, some more than others.  You just have to acknowledge that and do your best to navigate your way through it.   The last part of the novel is really fast paced.  There's a twist that you don't see coming.   It changes the way that you see the characters and their motives.  

I haven't read it but it is a classic, on lots of top 50 reads. It has been also described as a gothic thriller. Just an aside, I can't feel sorry for Camilla like I do Diana.  She is as awful as Charles, using others without a care.  IMHO

On 10/15/2022 at 7:33 PM, Krystal said:

I'm trying to find a copy of this ghost novel.  Stephen King's thoughts about it make it seem like a must read.  This is what he said:

"Hell House is the scariest haunted house novel ever written.  It looms over the rest the way the mountains loom over the foothills."

220px-HellHouse.jpg

Amazon, Kindle,, Barnes & Noble have it.  The Nevada library system has the ebook available, maybe your state does too

• Like 2

The average "bookstore" is no longer a bookstore.  Their selection has gone to hell.  They are carrying fewer titles.  That's why you can never find what you want.  Now they're devoting more space to mugs, candles, toys and boardgames than books.  I would say that only 1/4 of the "bookstore" contains actual books.  It's sad what has become of bookstores these days.  It's probably because most people don't read anymore and they will only buy stuff like candles and mugs.  Maybe I will start ordering books online.  Thanks for the idea goose.  

On 10/21/2022 at 10:11 PM, Krystal said:

The average "bookstore" is no longer a bookstore.  Their selection has gone to hell.  They are carrying fewer titles.  That's why you can never find what you want.  Now they're devoting more space to mugs, candles, toys and boardgames than books.  I would say that only 1/4 of the "bookstore" contains actual books.  It's sad what has become of bookstores these days.  It's probably because most people don't read anymore and they will only buy stuff like candles and mugs.  Maybe I will start ordering books online.  Thanks for the idea goose.  

Don't forget your local library, they are a great resource (speaking as a former library employee:smile:)  You can check out e-books from home.  I would bet they have it, the author is the same guy who wrote I am Legend I believe.  Happy hunting.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2022 at 12:23 AM, BastillePark said:

"Bossypants" by Tina Fey

Tina Fey is pretty cool, lots of experience in "show-biz".

What do you like about the book?

I just wrapped up Stephen King's The Talisman. Haven't read it in 20 years at least.   Been on a mission to re-read a lot of my faves by him lately. 

Next up, Black House - which I never finished back when it came out. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bahamas said:

Tina Fey is pretty cool, lots of experience in "show-biz".

What do you like about the book?

I'm only about 25% through it but it's been pretty funny which is why I checked it out from the library. I really liked 30 Rock which she was the primary developer for and wrote a lot of it so I figured a book written by her would also be good.

Edited by BastillePark
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, BastillePark said:

I'm only about 25% through it but it's been pretty funny which is why I checked it out from the library. I really liked 30 Rock which she was the primary developer for and wrote a lot of it so I figured a book written by her would also be good.

30 Rock had some great episodes, very fun!

• Like 2

blueschica,

Thanks for the "Like"!

Here we are, in the forums.

What podcasts did you find, what are you reading, now?