What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

On 8/15/2022 at 9:54 AM, Nova Carmina said:

Ballpark by Paul Goldberger.

Less "reading" than "listening to" since it's an audio book (my commute is longer these days). It's a history of the architecture, symbolism, and significance of baseball parks in the US. It's interesting, and I'd recommend it as I've already learned a lot -- I had to look up the "Beaux Arts" school because since I'm only hearing it, I couldn't figure out what "bozart" architecture was! Anyway, I'm up to the completion of the "golden age" parks which ended with Yankee Stadium, the first ballpark to call itself a "stadium" ala the Roman concept. New Yorkers, man.

There are some drawbacks: the author uses certain words and phrases over and over, so prepare to quickly tire of "entrepreneur" and the Latin phrase "rus in urbe" ("the country in the city").

Interesting choice. While I have almost zero interest in baseball or its ballparks, I have also learned in recent years that subjects unknown can reveal a lot of interesting stuff, and when it's a well written book? It feels lucky.

And thanks for the mention of repetition - happens often, but hearing "rus in urbe" more than once on a long drive with no internet? I'd probably climb the first mountain I saw just to get a few bars for a google. 

• Like 2

Yet another graphic novel.

The Twilight Man : Rod Serling and the Birth of Television by Koren Shadmi.

This one's very easy to recommend!

https://www.humanoids.com/y_catalog/book?id=918

• Like 2

On 9/11/2022 at 10:41 PM, Krystal said:

51mDSB+k7YL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I finished it on Sunday.

Has inspired me to re-read The Talisman and Eyes of The Dragon... for the first time in about 20 years. 

• Like 1

Got to see Craig Johnson last night at our local library, he's promoting the new Longmire book of course but I have seen him once before and he tells some fun stories about how he comes up with the characters.  Hell and Back is the 18th book in the series, we got him to sign our copy.  What a nice guy.

So since I seem to be stuck and not reading much, I decided to start the Longmire series over again.  So I downloaded the audio book of first one, Cold Dish and will be starting it tomorrow on laundry day.  Boy howdy, looking forward to it  :wink:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 2

Still reading on and off at the same time (which is probably a bad idea):-

William Gibson - Neuromancer

Isaac Asmimov - Foundation

Alfred Bester - The Stars My Destination 

Started reading Neuromancer then the Foundation TV series came along and I thought it would be good to read it before I watched it so paused on the Gibson book 1/3 of the way in.

The Stars.. (or Tiger Tiger..) is something I've got as an ebook on my phone so I fit in reading it when I'm waiting around for whatever reason e.g. taking the kid to swimming lessons etc.

Neuromancer and The Stars both are progenitors in different ways of cyberpunk.

• Like 1

This is an anti-religious book that came out 2 months ago.  There is widespread speculation that Stephenie Meyer wrote it using the pseudonym Rebecca Morrow to avoid getting excommunicated from her church.  

58724822.jpg

19 hours ago, Rhyta said:

Got to see Craig Johnson last night at our local library, he's promoting the new Longmire book of course but I have seen him once before and he tells some fun stories about how he comes up with the characters.  Hell and Back is the 18th book in the series, we got him to sign our copy.  What a nice guy.

So since I seem to be stuck and not reading much, I decided to start the Longmire series over again.  So I downloaded the audio book of first one, Cold Dish and will be starting it tomorrow on laundry day.  Boy howdy, looking forward to it  :wink:

That sounds like a cool book signing! I have read quite a few of them, I should finish with the ones I haven't read. He and Louise Penney! I haven't quite kept up.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 7:52 PM, Krystal said:

This is an anti-religious book that came out 2 months ago.  There is widespread speculation that Stephenie Meyer wrote it using the pseudonym Rebecca Morrow to avoid getting excommunicated from her church.  

58724822.jpg

After reading this novel, I have concluded that it was not written by Stephenie Meyer.  Too raunchy and way too much profanity.   

This is the work of an amateur, not a seasoned professional.   Stephenie Meyer with all her flaws is a much better writer than Rebecca Morrow.  

• Like 1

Come meet Captain Twain, a decent man struggling to cope in the middle of unexpected and enchanting events on his ship. Meet Lafayette, a true ladies' man with more hidden in his chest than a very big heart for beauties. See the great steamboats on the majestic river Hudson. Greet the illustrations, so easy on the eye and high in artistic value, with satisfaction. Come join the adventure that keeps you reading until your room seems to float far, far away.

Mark Siegel: Sailor Twain : or, the Mermaid in the Hudson (First Second, 2012)

https://firstsecondbooks.com/events/down-the-hudson-with-mark-siegels-sailor-twain/

Edited by Sun & Moon
  • Like 1

Zane Grey's Last of the Plainsmen.  It was written in 1908 and I find it charming in it's romantic view of the West and its use of language.  Not so fond of the staccato delivery.  

• Like 1

Some books turn me off by the style of writing, hard to get a rhythm going.

26 minutes ago, goose said:

Zane Grey's Last of the Plainsmen.  It was written in 1908 and I find it charming in it's romantic view of the West and its use of language.  Not so fond of the staccato delivery.  

An honest review - not sure how I feel about books that want to try and "shock and awe" the reader, but there are "phantom writers" that write opposite of what they normally write?

Thanks for adding more

On 10/2/2022 at 12:00 PM, Krystal said:

After reading this novel, I have concluded that it was not written by Stephenie Meyer.  Too raunchy and way too much profanity.   

This is the work of an amateur, not a seasoned professional.   Stephenie Meyer with all her flaws is a much better writer than Rebecca Morrow.  

to the thread!

18 hours ago, Sun & Moon said:

Come meet Captain Twain, a decent man struggling to cope in the middle of unexpected and enchanting events on his ship. Meet Lafayette, a true ladies' man with more hidden in his chest than a very big heart for beauties. See the great steamboats on the majestic river Hudson. Greet the illustrations, so easy on the eye and high in artistic value, with satisfaction. Come join the adventure that keeps you reading until your room seems to float far, far away.

Mark Siegel: Sailor Twain : or, the Mermaid in the Hudson (First Second, 2012)

https://firstsecondbooks.com/events/down-the-hudson-with-mark-siegels-sailor-twain/

Clever premise,  Twain and mermaids...not sure they would be in the Mississippi river but who knows?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bahamas said:

An honest review - not sure how I feel about books that want to try and "shock and awe" the reader, but there are "phantom writers" that write opposite of what they normally write?

Thanks for adding more

to the thread!

It's good publicity for her anyway, it reminds me of when J.K. Rowling got outed for her Robert Galbraith books.  Did she really want to write under the radar?  Same with Stephen King and Richard Bachman.  Writers having fun I guess.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rhyta said:

It's good publicity for her anyway, it reminds me of when J.K. Rowling got outed for her Robert Galbraith books.  Did she really want to write under the radar?  Same with Stephen King and Richard Bachman.  Writers having fun I guess.

Strike and Robin are the best couple I have followed, outside my general scope of reading (recommended by my partner). You must know, of course she wanted to write under a new name. It's not easy to publish a whole new series under a different name? And over time I think the series of her's is really, really good.

• Like 1

I like trying out new authors.

It's like trying on a pair of shoes. 

Sometimes they fit, sometimes they don't. 

41HMn2XxZfL._SY264_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_

• Like 2