What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

On 5/7/2022 at 3:31 PM, Nova Carmina said:

The Kansas City Athletics: A Baseball History, 1954-1967

Some diversion. Interesting because I didn't know much about this experience, other than the broad outlines. I knew Finley was sort of crazy, but I didn't realize how fully batshit and hostile this megalomaniac was.

Unfortunately, the book itself isn't written very well -- it's sort of a cross between reading the financial pages and hearing somebody read you the back of players' baseball cards for each season.

Did you know Finley also had a hand in an NHL Club?  The California Golden Seals.  He had them wear yellow and green and white skates...the team hated it.  We had their farm club The Golden Eagles in Salt Lake City in the late 70's and they had the same type of uniforms.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 2

A few months later, I finished Stroke of Insight! Fascinating look into the woman's experience with her stroke.

• Like 2

Don Quixote. I've never read it and thought it was time.

• Like 3

I read The Friend Zone by Abby Jimenez. It started out good.  I didn't care for the ending though.  It defeated the purpose of the whole book, which was to describe a woman's struggles with fertility.    Also, it's never a good idea to kill of one of the principal characters just to advance the plot.  That ticks people off.  

Edited by Krystal

Been trying to read Revenge of Analog but it's a bit dull.  Started a re-read of Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay.  It is the magical story of a beleaguered country struggling to be free. A tale of a people so cursed by the dark sorceries of the tyrant king Brandin that even the very name of their once beautiful home cannot be spoken or remembered. 

I fell in love with Kay's writing with this book.  With current events in mind, I thought this would be a good time to revisit it.

• Like 2

I'm reading Carrie Underwood's book Find Your Path.   She is such a positive, decent human being with good standards.  It talks about her life before and after American Idol.   There's even some recipes and workouts in there.  

Edited by Krystal
  • Like 2

I think I will look at this. I have enjoyed a few television series about England's history. There seem to be so many the last few years?

What is a challenge, is the often interchanging use of the names of populations and the specific royals or church leaders that were part of the history.

And the selection of particular events when there were so many, many events and "descriptions" of groups to include and put into context.

And I am a huge Bernard Cornwell fan, but as with many novels I like looking at the end notes to see which references were being studied.

Thanks Turbine Freight for the recommendation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bahamas said:

I think I will look at this. I have enjoyed a few television series about England's history. There seem to be so many the last few years?

What is a challenge, is the often interchanging use of the names of populations and the specific royals or church leaders that were part of the history.

And the selection of particular events when there were so many, many events and "descriptions" of groups to include and put into context.

And I am a huge Bernard Cornwell fan, but as with many novels I like looking at the end notes to see which references were being studied.

Thanks Turbine Freight for the recommendation.

I think that there are 5 books in this series. If this one is OK I aim to read them all in the fullness of time.

Did a casual google, looks like 6.

Pretty expensive read if buying each volume via Kindle for almost a hundred bucks for the whole series.

Not that the price matters, per say, but I get a little edgy when publishers string a series along and have us buy each volume, instead of a bigger anthology.

I try to keep in mind that an author has very little control on how their works get published. Perhaps the series is that good?

Again, thanks for the suggestion!

5 hours ago, Bahamas said:

Did a casual google, looks like 6.

Pretty expensive read if buying each volume via Kindle for almost a hundred bucks for the whole series.

Not that the price matters, per say, but I get a little edgy when publishers string a series along and have us buy each volume, instead of a bigger anthology.

I try to keep in mind that an author has very little control on how their works get published. Perhaps the series is that good?

Again, thanks for the suggestion!

Perhaps you could get it from the library. I did.

• Like 1

I would say, growing up in Toronto the libraries were amazing. Living in a small northern town, the libraries...not so much. Very focused on family time and computer access for seniors and the unemployed. I have seen "the stacks" dwindle until the most prominent books are on display with much room given to "community access". But I like your suggestion, thank you.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2022 at 5:46 PM, Bahamas said:

I would say, growing up in Toronto the libraries were amazing. Living in a small northern town, the libraries...not so much. Very focused on family time and computer access for seniors and the unemployed. I have seen "the stacks" dwindle until the most prominent books are on display with much room given to "community access". But I like your suggestion, thank you.

I would imagine your libraries have e-books to check out, perhaps the Toronto area branches would have them.  Bet you could get a card from them and then check them out.

• Like 4

Having a hard time concentrating on reading with hockey playoffs, not getting very far on last books I mentioned.

Since we are going to see Santana in concert on the 28th of this month, decided to give The Universal Tone by Santana a listen.  Has started off good, he was one of 11 children!  Will be interesting to hear his comments about other musicians that influenced him, the years in 60's with concert promoter Bill Graham will be good too.

• Like 4

I am not a big Stephen King fan. I know he is amazing, but I have only watched (some) television productions of his books.

My spouse is a big fan, though. And lots of other murder mysteries and detective series.

I went back to some Tim Moore books (the travel cyclist, self-inflicting sufferer of historic races).

Right now The Cyclist Who Went Out in the Cold, riding a folding "shopping bicycle" along the route of the old Iron Curtain -about ten thousand kilometres (2 gears!).

He starts in Finland with roads covered in pretty deep snow. What?

• Like 1

And now the sequel...that came out just 25 days ago.

61yiqr+sKAL._SL500_.jpg