What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

Chicken Soup for the Soul: Hooked on Hockey: 101 Stories about the Players Who Love the Game and the Families that Cheer Them On

Have been trying to read this for a couple of years, decided with all the depressing stuff going on I could use some fun stories to make me smile.

• Like 6

Twilight_of_Democracy_book_cover.jpeg

I'm guessing it is good. I heard her interviewed on a radio show recently and she was very intelligent and articulate.

I thought it would be good too but it's rubbish. And I do mean rubbish. Self-contradictory, littered with logical fallacies and character assassination. She is a clever, articulate woman as you say, but she is also a fraud at heart. It doesn't help that the main hypothesis is fundamentally flawed and easily disprovable.

It's a shame as I enjoyed Gulag and Red Famine. If you're going to give it a go I'd recommend you try and pick it up from the library rather than pay for it.

All this being said you may enjoy it! :)

Edited by Turbine Freight
  • Like 1

I'm guessing it is good. I heard her interviewed on a radio show recently and she was very intelligent and articulate.

I thought it would be good too but it's rubbish. And I do mean rubbish. Self-contradictory, littered with logical fallacies and character assassination. She is a clever, articulate woman as you say, but she is also a fraud at heart. It doesn't help that the main hypothesis is fundamentally flawed and easily disprovable.

It's a shame as I enjoyed Gulag and Red Famine. If you're going to give it a go I'd recommend you try and pick it up from the library rather than pay for it.

Thanks for the heads up! Sounds like she was pretty off base on this one, I probably won't pursue it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up! Sounds like she was pretty off base on this one, I probably won't pursue it.

Give it a go. It's a quick read and you may well disagree with my point of view. I just would try to get it from the library first though as I say.

• Like 1

So many great titles suggested, I some times go back through all your entries and consider trying many of them, some stick and I read them to the end, and then look up more info about them. Spin-offs, author comments, etc.

This week was Long Way Round, a motorcycle journey around the northern hemisphere by Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman.

Almost twenty thousand miles of BMW mixed road travel.

Sure, Neil did that in a day between concerts (ha ha, but honestly, not that wrong!) but as fellow bikers and wanting a challenging journey, it sure paid off.

I assumed being movie stars and all, they would travel in comfort and make a movie because they were able to afford the whole project.

But it really is a difficult trip. Wiping out many times, encountering cultural hostility and stardom at different time, it reads like two friends who have fears, hopes, humble reminders, bike repairs, remote risks.

There is some Youtube footage, nothing to hide with them - it was a really amazing trip.

The Kindle version has appendices, one which shows the extra gear - multiple motor bikes for back up, a support crew with trucks and cameras, spare "tyres" and spare pistons, tents, food, all that.

So yes, luxury is a short distance away.

But there were crashes, angry confrontations, changes in plans, many repairs, river crossings against all odds, really, really bad "roads".

Clearly, BMWs are stellar bikes (not a member), choices of bikes were big in the early stages.

I know Neil liked them, have read stories about other bike choices in other stories, but these machines seem to surpass the rest?

• Like 2

So many great titles suggested, I some times go back through all your entries and consider trying many of them, some stick and I read them to the end, and then look up more info about them. Spin-offs, author comments, etc.

This week was Long Way Round, a motorcycle journey around the northern hemisphere by Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman.

Almost twenty thousand miles of BMW mixed road travel.

Sure, Neil did that in a day between concerts (ha ha, but honestly, not that wrong!) but as fellow bikers and wanting a challenging journey, it sure paid off.

I assumed being movie stars and all, they would travel in comfort and make a movie because they were able to afford the whole project.

But it really is a difficult trip. Wiping out many times, encountering cultural hostility and stardom at different time, it reads like two friends who have fears, hopes, humble reminders, bike repairs, remote risks.

There is some Youtube footage, nothing to hide with them - it was a really amazing trip.

The Kindle version has appendices, one which shows the extra gear - multiple motor bikes for back up, a support crew with trucks and cameras, spare "tyres" and spare pistons, tents, food, all that.

So yes, luxury is a short distance away.

But there were crashes, angry confrontations, changes in plans, many repairs, river crossings against all odds, really, really bad "roads".

Clearly, BMWs are stellar bikes (not a member), choices of bikes were big in the early stages.

I know Neil liked them, have read stories about other bike choices in other stories, but these machines seem to surpass the rest?

I didn't realize it was a book! I have seen it as a series on DVD, I think they filmed for British TV? It's very good, I think I would enjoy the book.

• Like 2

Just found out there is a 7th book in the Rockton series by Kelley Armstrong. I started reading the first one exactly a year ago and went through the 6 books in a couple of months. Now I am starting them over again, just finished City of the Lost a couple of days ago and in #2 A Darkness Absolute now. They are so good I can't do much else but read them, don't want to put them down. :popcorn:
  • Like 2

Currently listening to "Harvest of Stars" by Poul Anderson. This will take me a while as I only listen when Io go to bed and have to re-listen to a lot of it night after night.

I have a lot of books on Kindle, but don't like dropping my tablet/phone on my face while reading in bed.

• Like 2

Just finished #3 This Fallen Prey in my Rockton re-read. Started #4 Watcher in the Woods. Even though I have read them, they are still suspenseful and there a little bits I forgot. Alternating between audio and e-book, I like night-time reading in bed with the glowlight and I don't keep my hubby awake. I agree it isn't fun to have the reader topple onto your face but it is better than a hardback :oops:
  • Like 2

Just finished #3 This Fallen Prey in my Rockton re-read. Started #4 Watcher in the Woods. Even though I have read them, they are still suspenseful and there a little bits I forgot. Alternating between audio and e-book, I like night-time reading in bed with the glowlight and I don't keep my hubby awake. I agree it isn't fun to have the reader topple onto your face but it is better than a hardback :oops:

Agreed, although I have done it with a thick (about 2.5inch) hardback.

• Like 1

Agreed, although I have done it with a thick (about 2.5inch) hardback.

Yeah it hurts. My hubby sprained his thumb after he fell asleep holding his place in a huge Stephen King book. :eh:

Ok I am on a roll, now moving on to #5 Alone in the Woods (Rockton) :popcorn:

• Like 1

I found a copy of Later by Stephen King and finished it in a single afternoon.

One thing I can say about Stephen King is that he's never boring.

Edited by Krystal
  • Like 3

Finished Deepest of Secrets #7 of Rockton Series by K. Armstrong.  Really good.  Glad she will be doing a followup to it...so many threads left to tie up.

Going to re-read His Dark Materials, started with Once Upon a time in the North and Collectors, prequels-short novellas.  Now going to La Belle Sauvage, meet Lyra as a baby in this one.

• Like 3

The Kansas City Athletics: A Baseball History, 1954-1967

Some diversion. Interesting because I didn't know much about this experience, other than the broad outlines. I knew Finley was sort of crazy, but I didn't realize how fully batshit and hostile this megalomaniac was.

Unfortunately, the book itself isn't written very well -- it's sort of a cross between reading the financial pages and hearing somebody read you the back of players' baseball cards for each season.

• Like 1