What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

A Thousand Cuts: The Bizarre Underground World of Collectors and Dealers Who Saved the Movies by Dennis Bartok and Jeff Joseph

New book from the library. It's very good and pretty sad. Studios are no longer keeping many film copies of movies, now that everything has been digitized. Apparently there can be huge differences in the color and lighting when you see a real film vs digital, like there can be big differences in the sound of vinyl vs. an mp3 of a song. Private collectors are the ones keeping film alive, for now.

A Thousand Cuts: The Bizarre Underground World of Collectors and Dealers Who Saved the Movies by Dennis Bartok and Jeff Joseph

New book from the library. It's very good and pretty sad. Studios are no longer keeping many film copies of movies, now that everything has been digitized. Apparently there can be huge differences in the color and lighting when you see a real film vs digital, like there can be big differences in the sound of vinyl vs. an mp3 of a song. Private collectors are the ones keeping film alive, for now.

I have friend who was A/V librarian for Miami/Dade Public Library and took photos of their massive film collection. Lots of shorts and art films but classics as well. Nobody knows how to run a projector anymore.

• Like 1

Speaking American: How Y'all, Youse, and You Guys Talk: A Visual Guide, by Josh Katz.

A guide and map to regional speaking in the U.S. Garage sale, rummage sale, stoop sale and tag sale. Soda, pop, coke, and cocola. Does caramel have two or three syllables? Pecan or pecahn? And in relation to the title, the uniquely Pittsburgh term, "yins." No mention of "park the car in Harvard yard."

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 2

Speaking American: How Y'all, Youse, and You Guys Talk: A Visual Guide, by Josh Katz.

A guide and map to regional speaking in the U.S. Garage sale, rummage sale, stoop sale and tag sale. Soda, pop, coke, and cocola. Does caramel have two or three syllables? Pecan or pecahn? And in relation to the title, the uniquely Pittsburgh term, "yins." No mention of "park the car in Harvard yard."

Us real Pittsburghers know that it's yinz !! :D

Us real Pittsburghers know that it's yinz !! :D

I always say "younz".

• Like 1

A couple more Iris Murdoch books.

I finished The Time of the Angels (second time through- the first time was only about a year and a half ago)...and just started The Black Prince, which I haven't read in about seven years.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

The Beautiful and the Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald. About halfway through and I like it but not sure if it beats The great Gatsby yet. Maybe. :-)
  • Like 2

Tad Williams- The Dragonbone Chair (Book One Of Memory, Sorrow And Thorn)

My all time favourite work of fiction. I seem to read this mammoth series every single year...

• Like 1