What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, almost done with the 10th book. I have enjoyed it quite a bit, took me years to finally get around to reading it.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Jan 27 2006, 04:03 PM)
The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, almost done with the 10th book. I have enjoyed it quite a bit, took me years to finally get around to reading it.

I love that series! I read up to the tenth book for the second time a while ago, thinking it was the last book, and man, I was so pissed to find out it wasn't. Now I'll have to start all over at the beginning when the eleventh book comes out on paperback! fists crying.gif

QUOTE (physics23 @ Jan 27 2006, 09:12 AM)
QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Oct 21 2005, 05:00 PM)
QUOTE (physics23 @ Oct 21 2005, 10:18 AM)
QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Oct 21 2005, 09:06 AM)
QUOTE (physics23 @ Oct 21 2005, 10:02 AM)
QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Oct 21 2005, 08:07 AM)
BTW... i picked up "My Friend Leonard" on tuesday night... and finished it last night...
it's a sequel to AMLP.... it follows James' life after rehab, and focuses primarily on the relationship between he and Leonard...a man he befriends in AMLP...

But...

But...

But Leonard ran away!

Ah, shoot, now I know he'll return later in the story.

tongue.gif

leonard didn't run away.....

what chu talkin 'bout willis?

You're right, it's Larry that ran away. doh.gif

silly man......

i thought maybe you were referring to James....

but that's all i'm going to say cuz i'm not sure if you're "there" yet....

LRF80, what's all this I'm suddenly reading in connection to Oprah about A Million Little Pieces being a fabrication?? ohmy.gif

i have been contemplating for a few days about posting something regarding this subject....

apparently, Mr Frey fabricated some of his story....

you can read the report here

i was pretty shocked and kinda disappointed to hear about this...

i LOVED that book...

it was still a great read, but to find out he lied just to make his book sound or read better just sucked IMO

there was a follow up on the oprah show this week, which i have yet to see, but i heard a little about it on the radio yesterday...

so yeah....

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Jan 28 2006, 02:49 PM)
QUOTE (physics23 @ Jan 27 2006, 09:12 AM)
LRF80, what's all this I'm suddenly reading in connection to Oprah about A Million Little Pieces being a fabrication?? ohmy.gif

i have been contemplating for a few days about posting something regarding this subject....

apparently, Mr Frey fabricated some of his story....

you can read the report here

i was pretty shocked and kinda disappointed to hear about this...

i LOVED that book...

it was still a great read, but to find out he lied just to make his book sound or read better just sucked IMO

there was a follow up on the oprah show this week, which i have yet to see, but i heard a little about it on the radio yesterday...

so yeah....

Yes, I'm disappointed as well. I held the author in such high regard all these months.

Thank you for the link. That's the most comprehensive coverage of the controversy I've seen anywhere. goodpost.gif

Edited by physics23

http://a1204.g.akamai.net/7/1204/1401/05022217011/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/9090000/9099457.jpg

QUOTE (thestand @ Jan 29 2006, 12:24 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 28 2006, 10:01 AM)
just started THE RUM DIARY by Hunter S. Thompson

FYI, this is already in pre-production for a movie. Johnny Depp will again play lead in a Hunter S. Thompson movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0376136/

interesting. i've only read thompson's fear and loathing in las vegas (twice) then saw the movie (two thousand times). both well done. after this book i'd like to read more of his stuff.

not to sound negative, but isn't imdb full of crap sometimes?

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 28 2006, 10:36 AM)
QUOTE (thestand @ Jan 29 2006, 12:24 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 28 2006, 10:01 AM)
just started THE RUM DIARY by Hunter S. Thompson

FYI, this is already in pre-production for a movie. Johnny Depp will again play lead in a Hunter S. Thompson movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0376136/

interesting. i've only read thompson's fear and loathing in las vegas (twice) then saw the movie (two thousand times). both well done. after this book i'd like to read more of his stuff.

not to sound negative, but isn't imdb full of crap sometimes?

Alot of times, actually. But if they already have it as Johnny Depp being signed on, it's most likely true, as Depp was a really close friend of Thompson.

I own Inside Out - A Personal History Of Pink Floyd (written by Nick Mason, the drummer). Great book! I also have Mind Over Matter: The Images Of Pink Floyd. Another great book with lots of insight! I'm thinking of picking up Contents Under Pressure. It's a book with a low-down on each one of their albums and songs, right?

common001.gif beathorse.gif icon_alienjig.gif common001.gif

I'm reading three different books right now.

Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond. It's about how certain societies and cultures come to dominate others by developing agriculture and weapons technology and how the diseases they introduce to conquered societies decimates their populations or wipes them out altogether.

For bathroom reading it's national Geographic's Encyclopedia of Space.

For light reading or fiction I'm reading Stephen King's Dark Tower series again.

QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ Jan 28 2006, 11:22 PM)
Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond. It's about how certain societies and cultures come to dominate others by developing agriculture and weapons technology and how the diseases they introduce to conquered societies decimates their populations or wipes them out altogether.

For light reading or fiction I'm reading Stephen King's Dark Tower series again.

WHOOO DARK TOWER!!!

My favorite series ever.

QUOTE (thestand @ Jan 28 2006, 11:07 PM)

WHOOO DARK TOWER!!!

My favorite series ever.

The best thing I've ever read. Though the last three books had a kind of rushed feel to them I still enjoyed them.

QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ Jan 29 2006, 06:38 AM)

WHOOO DARK TOWER!!!

My favorite series ever.

The best thing I've ever read. Though the last three books had a kind of rushed feel to them I still enjoyed them.

I'll probably read The Wastelands next, I've read the first two and really enjoyed them new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

At the moment I've just started Black House by King/Straub...I love the bird's eye intro biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Huck @ Jan 29 2006, 07:24 AM)
QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ Jan 29 2006, 06:38 AM)

WHOOO DARK TOWER!!!

My favorite series ever.

I'll probably read The Wastelands next, I've read the first two and really enjoyed them new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

At the moment I've just started Black House by King/Straub...I love the bird's eye intro biggrin.gif

The Wastelands is great but the best by far of the whole series is Wizard And Glass. Obviously you shouldn't skip The Wastelands but just wait til you sink your teeth into WaG.

Black House is also pretty good but it's a sequel to a much better one called The Talisman that was also cowritten by Peter Straub. If you haven't read that one you might consider reading it first.

Edited by Ghost of a Rider

I didn't know there were so many King fans here. My favourite from TDT is The Wolves of the Calla (also the only book I don't own myself. How does that work out?)

Black House is a very good read, but the ending is the most rushed thing I've ever read. Once they figure everything out, it only takes them maybe 15-20 pages to do it. Hope that doesn't ruin anything.

The Talisman is most likely my favourite non-Dark Tower King book.