What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

Terry Goodkind's Sword Of Truth series.

Trying to read Dune but failing badly.

QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Oct 17 2005, 05:03 PM)
and Odysseus's thinkiing is really old world  sarcasm.gif
He needs  to kick the suitors asses when he copuld just come home and the book would be half as long....

But you miss the point. The primary theme of the entire book was Odysseus' use of his intelligence to get through his struggles. If he just showed up and started trying to fight and kill all the suitors, they would have been able to gang up or get reinforcements, regroup, and kill him. He had to isolate them, get them into a situation where he would have the advantage, then strike swiftly so that none would survive.

Keep in mind that The Iliad and The Odyssey were both epic poems that were sung by the poets of ancient Greece. Homer never wrote it down (he was blind). That was done later by a scribe and then was translated only about 150 years ago. So trying to read an epic poem can be boring, whereas the ancient Greeks were entertained by the singing of the story.

As far as what I'm reading, I decided to read the Dragonlance saga again from the beginning. I'm at Dragons of Spring Dawning (Chronicles Vol 3) right now.

QUOTE (physics23 @ Oct 17 2005, 05:16 PM)
QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Oct 16 2005, 11:45 AM)
QUOTE (physics23 @ Jul 26 2005, 06:54 AM)
By any chance, has anyone read A Million Little Pieces by James Frey?

Physics23... i picked up this book on thursday night..... started reading it friday , and spent the whole day yesterday reading the rest of the 400-some odd pages.....I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN!!!!!!!!!!

it is a book about one man's addiction to drugs and alcohol, and his recovery.... it is one of the best books i have ever read! the way in which he writes is great (maybe because i write in the same way)

for me, i know i've read a really great book when ; one, i can't put it down...and two, when i get so engrossed in the story that i feel apart of the story...the book.... i feel as tho it has become apart of my life.... this book did that to me... i spent the whole rest of the day upon completing it reflecting back on the whole book...and wanting more... wanting to read it again, and wondering what else this guy has written...and also pondering the idea of it becoming a movie..... it would make a great movie, if it was done correctly......

definately will highly reccommend it...and hope to hear from others who have read it as well.....

i thought about copying the first page of the book for all to see here, but i wasn't sure if that would be "allowed", so i'll reserve that idea until i know it would be o.k....but then again, anyone could go to amazon.com and read a few pages from the book i suppose....

he has a follow up book to this one called "My Friend Leonard" which is based on one of the people he befriended while in the rehab facility...

I give it a definate http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/9/biggthum.gif

Yeah, isn't it a strange book? The paragraphs aren't even right-justified. I've never seen that in a book before.

I actually only got a few pages into it, and right now it's at my other residence so I can't read it for a while. The first pages are great, though. I agree people should go to Amazon and see for themselves.

You know it's being made into a movie, I believe for 2006.

i know... the punctuation, or lack thereof, is interesting... when i write in my paper thought book, (journal) that's pretty much the same way i write, so that was a definate turn on....

i'm really glad to hear it is being done into a movie...if it's done in a similar fashion as the movie "crash" was done... it could send a powerful message to people (especially the youth ) about drug & alcohol abuse...

where did you leave off in the book???

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Oct 18 2005, 06:01 AM)
QUOTE (physics23 @ Oct 17 2005, 05:16 PM)
QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Oct 16 2005, 11:45 AM)
QUOTE (physics23 @ Jul 26 2005, 06:54 AM)
By any chance, has anyone read A Million Little Pieces by James Frey?

Physics23... i picked up this book on thursday night..... started reading it friday , and spent the whole day yesterday reading the rest of the 400-some odd pages.....I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN!!!!!!!!!!

it is a book about one man's addiction to drugs and alcohol, and his recovery.... it is one of the best books i have ever read! the way in which he writes is great (maybe because i write in the same way)

for me, i know i've read a really great book when ; one, i can't put it down...and two, when i get so engrossed in the story that i feel apart of the story...the book.... i feel as tho it has become apart of my life.... this book did that to me... i spent the whole rest of the day upon completing it reflecting back on the whole book...and wanting more... wanting to read it again, and wondering what else this guy has written...and also pondering the idea of it becoming a movie..... it would make a great movie, if it was done correctly......

definately will highly reccommend it...and hope to hear from others who have read it as well.....

i thought about copying the first page of the book for all to see here, but i wasn't sure if that would be "allowed", so i'll reserve that idea until i know it would be o.k....but then again, anyone could go to amazon.com and read a few pages from the book i suppose....

he has a follow up book to this one called "My Friend Leonard" which is based on one of the people he befriended while in the rehab facility...

I give it a definate http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/9/biggthum.gif

Yeah, isn't it a strange book? The paragraphs aren't even right-justified. I've never seen that in a book before.

I actually only got a few pages into it, and right now it's at my other residence so I can't read it for a while. The first pages are great, though. I agree people should go to Amazon and see for themselves.

You know it's being made into a movie, I believe for 2006.

i know... the punctuation, or lack thereof, is interesting... when i write in my paper thought book, (journal) that's pretty much the same way i write, so that was a definate turn on....

i'm really glad to hear it is being done into a movie...if it's done in a similar fashion as the movie "crash" was done... it could send a powerful message to people (especially the youth ) about drug & alcohol abuse...

where did you leave off in the book???

I'm curious to know what made you get this book, ladirushfan.

I'm at page 50 or thereabouts - and yeah, it's quick reading. smile.gif But it's not my style at all; the journal I keep isn't nearly so free and loose. By the way, this book is one of few that I know of that's written entirely in the present tense.

QUOTE (physics23 @ Oct 20 2005, 01:21 PM)

I'm curious to know what made you get this book, ladirushfan.

I'm at page 50 or thereabouts - and yeah, it's quick reading. smile.gif But it's not my style at all; the journal I keep isn't nearly so free and loose. By the way, this book is one of few that I know of that's written entirely in the present tense.

what made me get the book? i get emails from borders books about best sellers, new releases, etc...

so there was a little blub in one email about it, with a coupon!!!

and then one of my girlfriends mentioned wanting to get it, and i just happen to be going to borders that evening, so with my handy dandy coupon i bought it...

that was my real motovation.... the coupon... ha ha ha

although it's seems to be written in the present tense, this all happened to James Frey when he was 23.... he's 36 now....

BTW... i picked up "My Friend Leonard" on tuesday night... and finished it last night...

it's a sequel to AMLP.... it follows James' life after rehab, and focuses primarily on the relationship between he and Leonard...a man he befriends in AMLP...

written most like his previous book... sometimes a little harder to follow... but still another great book that makes you laugh, makes you smile... makes you sad....and makes you cry.....

my next book selection is the newest Gregory Maguire : "Son of a Witch".....the wicked witch of the wests' secret son...........

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Oct 21 2005, 08:07 AM)
BTW... i picked up "My Friend Leonard" on tuesday night... and finished it last night...
it's a sequel to AMLP.... it follows James' life after rehab, and focuses primarily on the relationship between he and Leonard...a man he befriends in AMLP...

But...

But...

But Leonard ran away!

Ah, shoot, now I know he'll return later in the story.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (physics23 @ Oct 21 2005, 10:02 AM)

But...

But...

But Leonard ran away!

tongue.gif

leonard didn't run away.....

what chu talkin 'bout willis?

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Oct 21 2005, 09:06 AM)

But...

But...

But Leonard ran away!

tongue.gif

You're right, it's Larry that ran away. doh.gif

QUOTE (physics23 @ Oct 21 2005, 10:18 AM)
QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Oct 21 2005, 09:06 AM)

But...

But...

But Leonard ran away!

tongue.gif

You're right, it's Larry that ran away. doh.gif

silly man......

i thought maybe you were referring to James....

but that's all i'm going to say cuz i'm not sure if you're "there" yet....

Oh, gosh, I have been reading a lot of books lately. As always, I have been reading and rereading a ton of Asimov. I can never get enough of dear departed Isaac.

I recently finished The Wild Blue by Stephen Ambrose. This was about the guys that flew B-24's over Nazi Germany.

I have recently begun Franklin and Winston: An Intimate Portraitby Jon Meachem. This is a fascinating inside peek at the two men who saved the world.

QUOTE (war2112 @ Oct 22 2005, 05:36 AM)
Oh, gosh, I have been reading a lot of books lately. As always, I have been reading and rereading a ton of Asimov. I can never get enough of dear departed Isaac.

I just finshed rereading his Robots/Emipre/Foundation.

Have you ever read his Lucky Starr novels I was wondering if they are worth trying to find?

I started rereading The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Donaldson

QUOTE (Batman @ Oct 22 2005, 05:35 AM)
QUOTE (war2112 @ Oct 22 2005, 05:36 AM)

I just finshed rereading his Robots/Emipre/Foundation.

Have you ever read his Lucky Starr novels I was wondering if they are worth trying to find?

I started rereading The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Donaldson

I haven't read any of the Lucky Starr novels.

I have heard of them, though. Were these Isaac's forays into a kind of pulp fiction?

I really enjoy Asimov's essays more than anything else these days. His wit is incomparable. You can find tons of these at your local library. Isaac Asimov was certainly very prolific when it came to putting thought to page. I always thought Bradbury had a great sense of humor and irony, but I have come to enjoy Asimov's even more.

Arthur C. Clarke is the master of their shared domain IMHO, but he rarely ventured into the realm of the fantastic or absurd. He mostly concerned himself with hard SF, which was just fine by me. I think he and Asimov are the two towering figures in the realm of sci-fi and hard scifi.

Rodolphe Girard - Marie Calumet

Margaret Atwood - Oryx and Crake

both for school.

I haven't read too many regular novels lately, but this weekend I just re-read the graphic novel, KINGDOM COME. It's a fascinating read and if anyone's even remotely interested in comic books, this is THE story to pick up. It's a story about a future where the children and grandchildren of today's classic superheroes have run amok. The old guard, led by Superman come back to "restore order", only to find that their self imposed RULE comes with apocolyptic repercussions. The story is told through the witness of a small town preacher who has been chosen as the human anchor for DC's spirit of vengeance, THE SPECTRE. The tie ins of this story to the Book of Revelations is fascinating. I recommend this book for anyone who has ever had a love of comic books. You need not be a current reader to enjoy its brilliance. Along with the amazing story written by Mark Waid, the art is all hand painted by one of the most incredible artists in comic history, Alex Ross.

Edited to include that i forgot to mention that there is a regular novel entitled KINGDOM COME that is based on the story by Mark Waid and Alex Ross and is written by Elliot S. Maggin. I have yet to read it yet, but for those of you who find it hard to follow comic book panels (suprisingly i've heard this a lot), this would be a fine substitute.

Edited Again to include this beautiful sample of Alex Ross' beautiful water color artwork:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/viewmastergeneral/legendsLG2.jpg

Edited by Necromancer

QUOTE (Oberon @ Oct 25 2005, 11:37 PM)
Rodolphe Girard - Marie Calumet
Margaret Atwood - Oryx and Crake

both for school.

I read Oryx and Crake a year or so ago, and absolutely loved it. I know you're reading it for school tongue.gif but let me know what you think about it when you're done.

I enjoy Margaret Atwood's work a lot.

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Oct 26 2005, 12:15 AM)
QUOTE (Romi - The Bringer of Love @ Oct 25 2005, 07:10 AM)
I've been reading Ayn Rand's - The Fountainhead; and I wonder whether Roark's still Neil's hero. confused13.gif

Not Roark.

Reardon from Atlas Shrugged. 653.gif

Rearden owns 653.gif 1022.gif i'm reading atlas shrugged, on page 750 of around 1000.