What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

Finally Finished Dan Browns's "Angels & Deamons". this had to be the best book ever. A little over 530 pages, but worth every night being up to 2 am trying to finish it. This is one book i recomend if you like mystery, conspiricy. 5 star book here.

I just finished The Year's Best SF edited by David Hartwell. I love these books. They are short sci-fi stories by the masters as well as some new talent.

I can't wait for the next installment. Nothing gets my mojo boiling like good hard sci-fi.

I'm currently on a HP Lovecraft kick -

I've recently finished reading The HP Lovecraft Omnibus 3 - The Haunter of the Dark and am most of the way through Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos. After that, I'll probably go on to [/]The HP Lovecraft Omnibus 2 - Dagon[/i] since I haven't read it for a while.

QUOTE (physics23 @ Jul 26 2005, 06:54 AM)
By any chance, has anyone read A Million Little Pieces by James Frey?

Physics23... i picked up this book on thursday night..... started reading it friday , and spent the whole day yesterday reading the rest of the 400-some odd pages.....I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN!!!!!!!!!!

it is a book about one man's addiction to drugs and alcohol, and his recovery.... it is one of the best books i have ever read! the way in which he writes is great (maybe because i write in the same way)

for me, i know i've read a really great book when ; one, i can't put it down...and two, when i get so engrossed in the story that i feel apart of the story...the book.... i feel as tho it has become apart of my life.... this book did that to me... i spent the whole rest of the day upon completing it reflecting back on the whole book...and wanting more... wanting to read it again, and wondering what else this guy has written...and also pondering the idea of it becoming a movie..... it would make a great movie, if it was done correctly......

definately will highly reccommend it...and hope to hear from others who have read it as well.....

i thought about copying the first page of the book for all to see here, but i wasn't sure if that would be "allowed", so i'll reserve that idea until i know it would be o.k....but then again, anyone could go to amazon.com and read a few pages from the book i suppose....

he has a follow up book to this one called "My Friend Leonard" which is based on one of the people he befriended while in the rehab facility...

I give it a definate http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/9/biggthum.gif

reading:

Yann Martel - Life of Pi

Francis Ponge - Le parti pris des choses

Bill Bryson - The Mother Tongue

Kurt Vonnegut - God Bless You Mr. Rosewater

Stephen Hawking's the Theory of Everything. Hawking makes an incredible effort to condense the most oblique concepts into imagery that a layman can understand. I definetly enjoy his work.

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Oct 16 2005, 11:45 AM)
QUOTE (physics23 @ Jul 26 2005, 06:54 AM)
By any chance, has anyone read A Million Little Pieces by James Frey?

Physics23... i picked up this book on thursday night..... started reading it friday , and spent the whole day yesterday reading the rest of the 400-some odd pages.....I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN!!!!!!!!!!

it is a book about one man's addiction to drugs and alcohol, and his recovery.... it is one of the best books i have ever read! the way in which he writes is great (maybe because i write in the same way)

for me, i know i've read a really great book when ; one, i can't put it down...and two, when i get so engrossed in the story that i feel apart of the story...the book.... i feel as tho it has become apart of my life.... this book did that to me... i spent the whole rest of the day upon completing it reflecting back on the whole book...and wanting more... wanting to read it again, and wondering what else this guy has written...and also pondering the idea of it becoming a movie..... it would make a great movie, if it was done correctly......

definately will highly reccommend it...and hope to hear from others who have read it as well.....

i thought about copying the first page of the book for all to see here, but i wasn't sure if that would be "allowed", so i'll reserve that idea until i know it would be o.k....but then again, anyone could go to amazon.com and read a few pages from the book i suppose....

he has a follow up book to this one called "My Friend Leonard" which is based on one of the people he befriended while in the rehab facility...

I give it a definate http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/9/biggthum.gif

Yeah, isn't it a strange book? The paragraphs aren't even right-justified. I've never seen that in a book before.

I actually only got a few pages into it, and right now it's at my other residence so I can't read it for a while. The first pages are great, though. I agree people should go to Amazon and see for themselves.

You know it's being made into a movie, I believe for 2006.

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Oct 17 2005, 04:58 PM)
QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Oct 17 2005, 05:56 PM)
QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ Oct 17 2005, 04:52 PM)
I've been recently reading the I want to catch up to barney thread.

rofl3.gif

Well I've been reading The Odyssey

The entire thing or parts of it?

Books 5-24...

For school...

QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Oct 17 2005, 05:59 PM)

rofl3.gif

Books 5-24...

For school...

Yeah, I read that my freshman year. For 11th grade right now I'm reading The Crucible. How do you like The Oddysey so far? I thought it was pretty good, but I'm into the science fiction and fantasy aspects of things.

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Oct 17 2005, 05:00 PM)
QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Oct 17 2005, 05:59 PM)

rofl3.gif

Books 5-24...

For school...

Yeah, I read that my freshman year. For 11th grade right now I'm reading The Crucible. How do you like The Oddysey so far? I thought it was pretty good, but I'm into the science fiction and fantasy aspects of things.

The odyssey is very slow moving.

One paragraph of action for 5 pages o f bullshit.

The action is good though.

and Odysseus's thinkiing is really old world sarcasm.gif

He needs to kick the suitors asses when he copuld just come home and the book would be half as long....