What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

i'm half way through "The Republic" by Plato at the moment, and just finished "The Iliad" by Homer. both have proven excellent.

QUOTE (dweezil @ Jun 16 2005, 05:18 AM)
Just finished the back of the shampoo bottle.

Love that one passage : "rinse and repeat"

unsure.gif The "library" had no books at the time unsure.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

My favourite is "avoid contact with eyes"

laugh.gif

Yesterday Amazon delivered the 3rd Book of David Eddings Dreamers Story, Crystal Gorge.

I guess that I will begin right after Perry Rhodan Book 90 which I read at the moment.

I just started Star Maker by Olaf Stapeldon. The plot feels a bit dated, but his prose are brilliant! It's been a while (far too long, really) since I found myself getting lost in prose.

QUOTE (Huck @ Jun 16 2005, 05:16 PM)

laugh.gif

Damn!! Mine is missing that passage. sad.gif

I must have the abridged version to squeeze in the french portion.

QUOTE (dweezil @ Jun 17 2005, 07:53 PM)
QUOTE (Huck @ Jun 16 2005, 05:16 PM)

laugh.gif

Damn!! Mine is missing that passage. sad.gif

I must have the abridged version to squeeze in the french portion.

Mine has that in French too....."Les yeux avoidez avec le contact"

and also "la plume da ma tante est dans le jardin" unsure.gif

Because of you, madra_sneachta, I'm now about a hundred pages into Grossman's Someone to Run With. Aside from it being something of a relief to get away from English for a little, I find I'm enjoying it because Grossman is a charming story-teller. How's Zig Zag Kid coming along?

[Edited: what'll you know? I wrote "Someone to Rush With" instead of "to Run With." laugh.gif ]

Edited by physics23

I gave up reading to concentrate on my exams and revise for them.......A WHOLE MONTH WITHOUT READING!!!!!!! But i've finished them now biggrin.gif

I'll be making an assault on ALL of Tolkein's major works, The new HP book(can't wait) And i think i'll read the whole series of The Star Wars: Clone Wars series'.

And maybe some Dickens and other such classic novels, any suggestions?

Oh, and some Jack London and Iain Banks.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jun 22 2005, 03:42 PM)
I gave up reading to concentrate on my exams and revise for them.......A WHOLE MONTH WITHOUT READING!!!!!!! But i've finished them now biggrin.gif

I'll be making an assault on ALL of Tolkein's major works, The new HP book(can't wait) And i think i'll read the whole series of The Star Wars: Clone Wars series'.

And maybe some Dickens and other such classic novels, any suggestions?

Oh, and some Jack London and Iain Banks.

If you feel like warming up with some short stories, check out Gogol, especially "The Portrait." It's not quite science fiction, but it's that eerie Russian allegorical stuff. Trippy. Highly recommended.

And good luck with the exams. trink39.gif

Edited by physics23

QUOTE (physics23 @ Jun 22 2005, 09:37 PM)
Because of you, madra_sneachta, I'm now about a hundred pages into Grossman's Someone to Run With. Aside from it being something of a relief to get away from English for a little, I find I'm enjoying it because Grossman is a charming story-teller. How's Zig Zag Kid coming along?

[Edited: what'll you know? I wrote "Someone to Rush With" instead of "to Run With."  laugh.gif ]

I'm practically finished - I found I've read it very slowly to take it all in. Really good book, I'll finish it tonight.

Next up is Carl Hiaasen's Skinny Dip, and I'm on holiday next week, so I'll bring some no-brainers with me. I think Mark Billingham's The Buring Girl will be one of them.

Edit 'coz I can't spell for rice

Edited by madra sneachta

I've just started reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - its the first of a three volume set that has reprinted the stories in their original form as published in The Strand Magazine.

At the moment, I've just finished The Sign of Four and have started A Scandal in Bohemia

I just finished Stephen King's "The Girl who loved Tom Gordon". This was one of his books that I avoided for years for some undefinable reason. Partly, an ex-girlfriend gave it an "eh" rating.

I loved it!

I thought it was funny and very moving.

Black Science: Ancient and Modern Techniques of Ninja Mind Manipulation.

Granted, that's a very pseudoscience-sounding title, and it's not the sort of thing I usually read for recreation; but a friend insisted on loaning it to me, and I won't dismiss anything without giving it a fair trial.

I just finished re-reading It's not About The Bike by Lance Armstrong with Sally Jenkins. I'm a sucker for inspirational stories and this one is one of the best of all time, IMHO.

This book was written after Armstrong's 4th win in the Tour, but it still gives me goosebumps (for lack of a better word).

QUOTE (physics23 @ Jul 26 2005, 05:54 AM)
By any chance, has anyone read A Million Little Pieces by James Frey?

I haven't, but pray tell, what is it about.

Any book that has a big number as a part of it's title always piques my interest even if it has nothing to to with mathematics or physics.

If it has nothing to do with science, I might pass on by, but I suspect that it does.

So, what is it about?

Right now I'm reading To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee and The Chosen by Chaim Potok for high school summer reading. I must say that To Kill A Mockingbird is a very enjoyable book, despite the fact that I've only just started to reach Part Two of the book. I'm also very eager to dive into The Chosen. It seems a most intriguing read.

QUOTE (war2112 @ Jul 26 2005, 06:03 AM)
QUOTE (physics23 @ Jul 26 2005, 05:54 AM)
By any chance, has anyone read A Million Little Pieces by James Frey?

I haven't, but pray tell, what is it about.

Any book that has a big number as a part of it's title always piques my interest even if it has nothing to to with mathematics or physics.

If it has nothing to do with science, I might pass on by, but I suspect that it does.

So, what is it about?

I don't really know, and I prefer not to read too much about it at Amazon. It's about drugs, underlyingly, but it's not a junkie novel. I suspect, based on the person who recommended it to me, that it's heavy on psychology.

I'd be skeptical about reading a novel by Armstrong. Really, how interesting can it be? I'm guessing it's all about past competitions, memorable oponents he contended with, challenges he overcame. confused13.gif

sfuentes, I'm ashamed to say I haven't read either of those two.

I've just started From The corner Of His Eye - Dean Koontz

I'm really into Koontz at the moment yes.gif

unsure.gif

QUOTE (physics23 @ Jul 26 2005, 04:23 AM)
sfuentes, I'm ashamed to say I haven't read either of those two.

No shame in haven't ever reading a good novel, the unfamiliarity of the book just make it marginally better. I'll give the two books I'm reading short summaries from their listing on Amazon.com if you don't mind. smile.gif

To Kill A Mockingbird

Set in the small Southern town of Maycomb, Alabama, during the Depression, To Kill a Mockingbird follows three years in the life of 8-year-old Scout Finch, her brother, Jem, and their father, Atticus--three years punctuated by the arrest and eventual trial of a young black man accused of raping a white woman. Though her story explores big themes, Harper Lee chooses to tell it through the eyes of a child. The result is a tough and tender novel of race, class, justice, and the pain of growing up.

The Chosen

In 1940s Brooklyn, New York, an accident throws Reuven Malther and Danny Saunders together. Despite their differences (Reuven is a Modern Orthodox Jew with an intellectual, Zionist father; Danny is the brilliant son and rightful heir to a Hasidic rebbe), the young men form a deep, if unlikely, friendship. Together they negotiate adolescence, family conflicts, the crisis of faith engendered when Holocaust stories begin to emerge in the U.S., loss, love, and the journey to adulthood. The intellectual and spiritual clashes between fathers, between each son and his own father, and between the two young men, provide a unique backdrop for this exploration of fathers, sons, faith, loyalty, and, ultimately, the power of love. (This is not a conventional children's book, although it will move any wise child age 12 or older, and often appears on summer reading lists for high school students.)