What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Jun 4 2005, 03:12 PM)
The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

After reading 6-7 Hemingway short stories....(I was nearing suicide).

P.S. I thought The Masked Rider was by far Peart's best book.

Whose translation of The Idiot are you reading?

Oddly enough, I've been waiting skeptically for sullysue to recommend me some Hemingway. I like his writing style, but his subjects sometimes make my stomach churn.

Read any Nikolai Gogol short stories? Best short story writer I've come across.

I finished reading an old collection of Arthur C. Clarke's essays in a collection entitled "Hello, Carbon-based Bipeds". Some of these essays dated back to the '50s but they are still relevant and very entertaining.

Just finished the newest Maeve Binchy novel, Nights of Rain and Stars. Now I'm on to Hard Truth by Nevada Barr, a new Southern author recommended to me, so we'll see how that one goes. I also picked up a cheap paperback of The War of the Worlds recently.

Just Started Reading Harlan Coben "The Innocent" Page 21 to be exact, and its good

http://a1204.g.akamai.net/7/1204/1401/04030314011/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/7460000/7469775.jpg

(Re-reading, actually.)

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 3 2005, 09:44 AM)
http://a1204.g.akamai.net/7/1204/1401/04110808011/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/8510000/8511302.jpg

I recently re-read 'Band Of Brothers' and afterwards I decided to read all of Ambrose's WWII books, so I picked this up yesterday.

I read that one too. I also read D-Day, Band Of Brothers, and The Wild Blue. I also have The Victors about Eisenhower though I haven't started reading it yet. Ambrose was an excellent history writer.

I just finished reading The Dragons Of Eden by Carl Sagan. It's about the evolution of human intelligence.

Right now I'm in the middle of Stephen Hawking's A Brief History Of Time. I've been reading that one in bits and pieces over the last few months because I have to sit back and digest each chapter as it's so friggin' complicated. Or maybe I'm just dumb. doh.gif

Edited by Ghost of a Rider

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0446674575.01._AA400_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Tenth Insight : Holding the Vision, an experimental guide

by James Redfield

I'm reading two VERY strange books.

"Running with Scissors," which is about a boy who's mentally ill mom leaves him in the care of her ultra-liberal psychiatrist and his wacked family. It also goes into graphic details of how this guy comes out of the closet. It's supposed to be a biography, but I'm really hoping for this poor guy's sake it isn't really.

The other is "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time." This one is from the point of view of a 13-year-old mentally challanged Savant who is trying to solve the mystery of who killed his neighbor's poodle with a gardening fork. (Which made me laugh my arse off, cause I immediately though of Ricky! laugh.gif )

Edited by sullysue

uh... people magazine...

the one with brad pitt wub.gif and angelina jolie on the front cover...

what ever are those two going to do now?????

http://www.yesteryearbooks.co.uk/shop_image/product/000137.jpg

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jun 7 2005, 03:38 PM)
"Running with Scissors," which is about a boy who's mentally ill mom leaves him in the care of her ultra-liberal psychiatrist and his wacked family. It also goes into graphic details of how this guy comes out of the closet. It's supposed to be a biography, but I'm really hoping for this poor guy's sake it isn't really.

I've read that, by Augusten Burroughs. The scary thing is, it IS autobiographical.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 15 2005, 02:06 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Jun 7 2005, 03:38 PM)

I've read that, by Augusten Burroughs. The scary thing is, it IS autobiographical.

Wow! I haven't finished it yet. I heard there is going to be a MOVIE ( ohmy.gif ) based on his book. Holy guacamole. That should be interesting!

QUOTE (dweezil @ Jun 15 2005, 11:18 PM)
Just finished the back of the shampoo bottle.

Love that one passage : "rinse and repeat"

unsure.gif The "library" had no books at the time unsure.gif

Again dweez rofl3.gif .......always making me icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

trink39.gif

David Grossman - The Zig Zag Kid

Originally written in Hebrew, now translated into english. Really interesting book, no idea what's going to happen next.

"David Grossman's delightful novel of adolescent initiation is a kind of contemporary urban fairy tale...In a style that is part comic-book adventure and part universal myth...His story of innocence transformed is so cleverly elaborated--and so touchingly true--that it is difficult not to cheer." --San Francisco Chronicle

"Lighthearted and funny, a book of enormous charm." --The New York Times

"This is a fantasy that delights, surprises, and reveals." --The Boston Sunday Globe

"This nimble picaresque variously suggests The Arabian Nights and Dr. Seuss in the glee with which it darts from one outlandish event to the next...Grossman explores universal concerns with wit and lightness." --The Village Voice

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Jun 16 2005, 08:52 AM)
David Grossman - The Zig Zag Kid

What compelled you to tackle Grossman?

It's a funny coincidence. The text I taught my class last Thursday was one Grossman had written about the birth of his first-born son. I began the lesson with a brief biographical introduction, including a bit about Grossman's political activisim and humanitarian involvement with the Palestinians. I brought his book Someone to Run With and passed it around so they could flip through it and sort of feel something he wrote with their fingertips. I still haven't returned the book to the library - in fact it's right in back of me this very moment.