What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

I just finished one of the most extraordinary novels I have ever read. "From the Corner of His Eye" by Dean Koontz. Frankly, I have been entirely unimpressed by most of his work, thinking it way too derivative and formulaic. He has always had good characterization, though. I also have thought that he lacks the descriptive power of King and Barker and the dread of Lovecraft. Not so here, however.

This story stands tall and mighty among everything I have ever read in any genre. It was extremely suspenseful; the characters were very vivid (always Koontz's strong suit, anyway); the plot was complex and satisfying; and the climax was emotionally powerful. The ending of this book had me choked up and terribly sorry that the adventure was over.

Kudos to Dean Koontz for such an incredibly moving magnum opus. trink39.gif

P.S. Hey, Mr. Koontz, please do this again won't you?

*edited for spelling and personal plea.* Folks, read this book!

Edited by war2112

http://a1204.g.akamai.net/7/1204/1401/04022408011/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/7430000/7436805.jpg

Just finished it. Amazing. Simply amazing.

Just recently I've read The Dynamite Kid (Brian Blessed's autobiography) and Banksy (Gordon Banks' autobiography). At the moment, I'm about halfway through Armageddon 2419 AD y Phillip Nowlan - its the book in which Buck Rogers first appeared.

QUOTE (Chasartymac @ May 6 2005, 01:38 PM)
I just read the entire back of the cornflakes packet smile.gif

My the lessons are really paying off biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Milton Bridge @ May 6 2005, 08:44 PM)
QUOTE (Chasartymac @ May 6 2005, 01:38 PM)
I just read the entire back of the cornflakes packet smile.gif

My the lessons are really paying off biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

You have no idea smile.gif

Finished In Watermelon Sugar. (There's a review at Amazon, but it's more my reflections than a book review in the traditional sense. And thanks, My_Shrimp_Cot.)

The Gospels.

Hunter S. Thompson's The Proud Highway.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 19 2005, 06:36 PM)
Sarah bought me hardcover book of Stephen King's The Stand for my birthday... smile.gif wub.gif I haven't read it in years but started again last night

Is that the original published version or the souped up "special extended edition" he released a few years ago.

The extended version was damned good.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ May 22 2005, 08:31 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 19 2005, 06:36 PM)
Sarah bought me hardcover book of Stephen King's The Stand for my birthday... smile.gif  wub.gif  I haven't read it in years but started again last night

Is that the original published version or the souped up "special extended edition" he released a few years ago.

The extended version was damned good.

It's the extended version. Ye it is miles better than the original yes.gif

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

Just finished T.E.D. Kleins' "Dark Lords". It was pretty good. He reminds me of Lovecraft in the way he builds tension towards the completely unknown.

Currently reading Utterly Monkey by Nick Laird, set in London, Belfast and a fictional town in Northern Ireland called Ballyglass, which I reckon is Cookstown in disguise.

With the exception of Nebbish, that's probably totally meaningless to everyone here.

Absolutely brilliant book.