Rotate Your Stock!

Finally got myself a 6-pack of Moosehead, apparently many people on TRF recommend it so I decided to try it out trink38.gif Good stuff! trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daveyt @ Mar 28 2006, 03:05 PM)
1-0-0: i have had the golden monkey, too. what is that? 12%?!

I think it's pretty strong. Haven't tried it yet. I normally don't like belgian ales but I heard good things about this one, so I bought it as a single. Maybe I'll try it tonight. trink39.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 29 2006, 04:29 PM)

I think it's pretty strong. Haven't tried it yet. I normally don't like belgian ales but I heard good things about this one, so I bought it as a single. Maybe I'll try it tonight. trink39.gif

i think i remember it being pretty bubbly, too. i good beer to warm with the hands. just be careful because you may nod off and wake up abruptly with a cool sensation in your lap.

It's 9.5%. I just bought a 6 pack today myself to give it a try. I also picked up a 6 of Tommyknocker Maple Nut Brown Ale, a bottle ot Tito's vodka and a bottle of Sauza Hornitos tequila. trink38.gif

QUOTE (bardan @ Mar 30 2006, 07:33 PM)

It's 9.5%. I just bought a 6 pack today myself to give it a try. I also picked up a 6 of Tommyknocker Maple Nut Brown Ale, a bottle ot Tito's vodka and a bottle of Sauza Hornitos tequila. trink38.gif

Tried it last night. Read here! trink38.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 30 2006, 07:45 PM)
QUOTE (bardan @ Mar 30 2006, 07:33 PM)

Tried it last night. Read here! trink38.gif

jesus bardan! i guess i am thinking of the triple beer they have that will waste you.

Currently in my fridge:

a six pack of Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot (minus one bottle which I am drinking right now -- trying this for the first time), three 4-packs of Terrapin Beer Company Big Hoppy Monster Imperial Red Ale (have tried this before, one of my favorite beers, which is why I bought so many of them), and one 4-pack of Terrapin Beer Company Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout (have never tried this before).

High gravity beers all, the weakest being the Stout, at 8.1% alcohol.

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert

Some new beers waiting in my fridge to be sampled later. (hell, maybe tonight):

Victory Hop Devil

Highland Brewing Co. Kashmir IPA

Highland Brewing Co. Black Mocha Stout

Sweetwater Blue (actually I am familiar with this beer already, it's great)

Edited by Drunk Pirate Robert

QUOTE (Drunk Pirate Robert @ Jun 27 2006, 02:20 PM)
Some new beers waiting in my fridge to be sampled later. (hell, maybe tonight):

Victory Hop Devil

trink39.gif HopDevil is a fave of mine. Let us know how you like it.

I've got a six-pack of Smithwick's in my fridge currently. I think I'll have one tonight whilst grilling burgers. (Man law: you are required to drink a beer if you are grilling.)

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 27 2006, 04:15 PM)
I've got a six-pack of Smithwick's in my fridge currently. I think I'll have one tonight whilst grilling burgers. (Man law: you are required to drink a beer if you are grilling.)

I had Smithwick's (pronounced Smith-icks, I believe) on tap once, and thought it was flat and bland tasting. Any better out of a bottle?

And I agree about the grilling protocol. trink38.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 27 2006, 06:09 PM)

I had Smithwick's (pronounced Smith-icks, I believe) on tap once, and thought it was flat and bland tasting. Any better out of a bottle?

It's definitely not flat from the bottle. I wouldn't put it on the A-list, but it's a pretty good ale.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 27 2006, 03:15 PM)
(Man law: you are required to drink a beer if you are grilling.)

Indeed.

Violate this fundamental law and you risk wrathful bolts from heaven coming down on your head for the transgression.

Plus, your grilling will go badly.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 27 2006, 04:16 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 27 2006, 06:09 PM)

It's definitely not flat from the bottle. I wouldn't put it on the A-list, but it's a pretty good ale.

I've tried it from the bottle and on tap. Slightly better on tap, imo. You must have got a bad batch, since I didn't think it was "flat" or "bland" at all.

I agree with Jack -- not an outstanding beer, but decent enough.

Edited by Drunk Pirate Robert

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 27 2006, 03:08 PM)
QUOTE (Drunk Pirate Robert @ Jun 27 2006, 02:20 PM)
Some new beers waiting in my fridge to be sampled later.  (hell, maybe tonight):

Victory Hop Devil

trink39.gif HopDevil is a fave of mine. Let us know how you like it.

I see why this is one of your faves. It is indeed an excellent beer, a Truly Outstanding Beer. A new fave of mine, now.

"Spicy and menacingly delicious", as it claims on the label.

I am not normally a big fan of IPA's, but now have tried two different IPA's in the past several days that are most excellent -- this one and the Dogfish Head.

IF I had not tried the Dogfish Head, I would rate this one, Victory HopDevil, as the best IPA I have tried so far.

But now, I think I have to rate it second, after the Dogfish Head. Of course, now I am wishing I had a Dogfish Head IPA right here, to make a close alternating real time comparison to make sure.

Still, without question, it is a Truly Outstanding Beer.

QUOTE (Drunk Pirate Robert @ Jun 27 2006, 06:16 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 27 2006, 03:15 PM)
(Man law: you are required to drink a beer if you are grilling.)

Indeed.

Violate this fundamental law and you risk wrathful bolts from heaven coming down on your head for the transgression.

Plus, your grilling will go badly.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Slime's stash

Vermouth (red and white)

big bottle of wine from Chile

tiny bottle of Southern Comfort

20 oz Jack Daniel's

small bottle Napoleon Brandy

90% full bottle of Crown Royal

1 bottle Hakutsuru draft sake

4 oz Beefeater London Dry Gin

half bottle Silent Sam vodka

8 bottles Alexander Keith's

12 bottles Stella Artois

I need to host another party soon!

in my fridge? uh... 3-4 rolling rock, a half empty bottle of bailey's and not much else. i don't keep a lot in the fridge, since we're tight on space.

in the bar/wine cellar?

roughly 5 cases of assorted wines

6 bottles champagne/sparkling wine

1 case yuengling

1 assorted case saranac summer sampler

1 case, plus a few rolling rock

2 liters bombay sapphire

1 liter tanqueray ten

.5 liter cruzan dark rum

1 liter cruzan light rum

1 liter danzka vodka

1 liter danzka citrus vodka

1 liter ciroq vodka

1 750 amaretto

1 750 godiva liqueur

1 750 godiva coffee liqueur

1 750 grand marnier

1 liter mount gay rum

1 liter cruzan coconut rum

about .5 liters of grey goose vodka

1 liter belvedere vodka

1 750 svedka vodka

about .5 liters of luksusowa vodka

1 liter tullamore dew whiskey

various bottles of scotch that i don't drink because i dislike the taste, but i believe are balvenie, macallan, glenmorangie, glenfiddich, and johnnie walker green label (single malt)

and this little bottle of cinnamon schnapps that a friend brought back from germany.

we need to have another party common001.gif after our vodka tasting last year, everyone left what they brought, hence all the nearly full bottles in my bar. i should get more tonic

QUOTE (feelingwithyourskin @ Jul 6 2006, 03:43 PM)
in my fridge? uh... 3-4 rolling rock, a half empty bottle of bailey's and not much else. i don't keep a lot in the fridge, since we're tight on space.

in the bar/wine cellar?

roughly 5 cases of assorted wines
6 bottles champagne/sparkling wine
1 case yuengling
1 assorted case saranac summer sampler
1 case, plus a few rolling rock
2 liters bombay sapphire
1 liter tanqueray ten
.5 liter cruzan dark rum
1 liter cruzan light rum
1 liter danzka vodka
1 liter danzka citrus vodka
1 liter ciroq vodka
1 750 amaretto
1 750 godiva liqueur
1 750 godiva coffee liqueur
1 750 grand marnier
1 liter mount gay rum
1 liter cruzan coconut rum
about .5 liters of grey goose vodka
1 liter belvedere vodka
1 750 svedka vodka
about .5 liters of luksusowa vodka
1 liter tullamore dew whiskey
various bottles of scotch that i don't drink because i dislike the taste, but i believe are balvenie, macallan, glenmorangie, glenfiddich, and johnnie walker green label (single malt)
and this little bottle of cinnamon schnapps that a friend brought back from germany.

we need to have another party common001.gif after our vodka tasting last year, everyone left what they brought, hence all the nearly full bottles in my bar. i should get more tonic

Clearly, you need to host a party as well.

Where do you live? If it is anywhere near me, I volunteer to come over and help you drink all that stuff.

QUOTE (Drunk Pirate Robert @ Jul 6 2006, 06:31 PM)
Clearly, you need to host a party as well.

Where do you live? If it is anywhere near me, I volunteer to come over and help you drink all that stuff.

laugh.gif by the looks of your map, you're at least several states away from new jersey

we have a liquor tasting party every december. first we did scotch, then wine, then liqueurs, and last year was vodka. we're looking for ideas for the next one and tequila looks the front runner.

what we do is have everyone bring a different bottle in the category and we taste some out of every bottle... oooh, that reminds me. we have a mostly full bottle of famous grouse from the scotch tasting joker.gif doh.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

we encourage everyone to take their offerings home with them, but for some reason nobody did that with the vodka, so we had 11 or so mostly full bottles at the end of the night. wild smile.gif

Stone IPA

Stone Smoked Porter

Rogue Dead Guy Ale

Smuttynose IPA

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Stoudt's Double IPA

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/Beer/88.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/Beer/90.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/Beer/355.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/Beer/16403.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/Beer/571.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/Beer/20470.jpg

653.gif 653.gif 653.gif WHOOOO HOOOOOO!!! 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

I finally got some good beer. I went to the local liquor store yesterday & I found some Dead Guy Ale. They had 10-23oz bottles and I bought all of them. They told me that is all they are likely to get in so I grabbed then while I could. So I have those and a couple Headstrong Pale Ale's (which are quite tasty).

YUM YUM YUM

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~sbeck/pictures/beer/roguedeadguyale.jpghttp://www.ratebeer.com/beerimages/8635.jpg