Which songs are must plays?

keakag

I asked this question last tour and some people jumped me like a pack of wild dogs. But we all know that Rush HAS to play certain song every tour. True, they have a catalogue larger than most bands. They can change more songs than some average touring act. But you know they have to play Tom Sawyer. Even though most people who consider themselves Rush fans (me included) would like to see them drop it to make room for other songs. I have been to a few Rush shows and I know I have heard these songs at every one of them:

Tom Sawyer

Spirit of Radio

YYZ

Limelight

I'm sure everyone has their own favorite songs. I personally would pass out if they played Primemover, Coldfire, Ceiling Unlimited, & Totem instead 1022.gif

Edited by keakag

At this point the only MUST PLAY's in Rush's catalog are Tom Sawyer, Spirit of Radio and probably Limelight. Limelight has been cut on a number of tours in the past but I think it's been elevated into a concert staples at this point and given the limited number of tours left in their career I can't see them ever dropping it. YYZ would be the next closest to a must-play but mostly because there are always going to be 2-3 instrumentals sprinkled throughout the set.

Tom Sawyer and Spirit of Radio are the only must plays in my estimation.

Now, from a personal perspective, Subdivisions is my personal must-play. I'd take it over the above two any day! It better not be dropped this tour sad.gif

Must play would be Natural Science. Its going away for sure though, this time. Oh man, they have never dropped this song before. ohmy.gif

Anyway, I think Dreamline gets retired this time, possibly. And then gets re-added next leg.

Edited by quickfree

Must Plays:

Tom Sawyer

Limelight

Spirit of the Radio

Freewill

Replacement:

None! It just wouldn't be a Rush concert without them!

Would Pink Floyd drop comfortably Numb?

Would Jethro Tull drop Aqualung?

Would Yes drop Roundabout?

Would Genesis Drop Turn it on Again?

NO!!!!! dazed025.gif

I think I made my point!

admin.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 13 2010, 09:55 PM)
Must Plays:

Tom Sawyer
Limelight
Spirit of the Radio
Freewill

Freewill actually hasn't been played all that much over the years. Not played on R30, half of Vapor Trails, Counterparts, Hold Your Fire, Power Windows, or Grace Under Pressure.

QUOTE (keakag @ May 13 2010, 04:45 PM)
I asked this question last tour and some people jumped me like a pack of wild dogs. But we all know that Rush HAS to play certain song every tour. True, they have a catalogue larger than most bands. They can change more songs than some average touring act. But you know they have to play Tom Sawyer. Even though most people who consider themselves Rush fans (me included) would like to see them drop it to make room for other songs. I have been to a few Rush shows and I know I have heard these songs at every one of them:

Tom Sawyer
Spirit of Radio
YYZ
Limelight

I'm sure everyone has their own favorite songs. I personally would pass out if they played Primemover, Coldfire, Ceiling Unlimited, & Totem instead 1022.gif

We know with the Moving Pictures announcement, they will play three of the four songs you listed.

Ok fine I'll replace them Geez!

Must Plays:

Tom Sawyer

Limelight

Spirit of the Radio

Freewill

Replacements:

Countdown

Middletown Dreams

Cut to the Chase

Hemispheres (Entire)

Actually that wasn't that hard!

cool10.gif

Personally, I never thought that Freewill was all that great. Good, but not "great." Easily replaced...

We know that Tom Sawyer, YYZ and Limelight are going to be played this tour (DUH!), but, I would REALLY love it if I saw a Rush show WITHOUT Tom Sawyer. While I know it's one of the most popular Rush tunes, it is also one of the most boring Rush tunes when it is played live.

They wanna play it? More power to them! I will still go and spend an ungodly amount of money on great tickets to be there!!

But, my ideal Rush set list would NOT include Tom Sawyer!! Such an overrated song compared to other Rush gems.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ May 13 2010, 05:17 PM)

Now, from a personal perspective, Subdivisions is my personal must-play. I'd take it over the above two any day! It better not be dropped this tour sad.gif

YES!! Such a great song!! yes.gif

Tom Sawyer and Spirit of Radio are totally expendable! But NOT Subdivisions!!

QUOTE (New World Double Agent @ May 13 2010, 02:43 PM)
Drop Tom Sawyer and play Dog Years!  1022.gif

I would love that. (no, I'm not being sarcastic)

The only must play:

Limelight

Edited by KennethRush

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ May 13 2010, 11:29 PM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ May 13 2010, 05:17 PM)

Now, from a personal perspective, Subdivisions is my personal must-play. I'd take it over the above two any day!  It better not be dropped this tour  sad.gif

YES!! Such a great song!! yes.gif

Tom Sawyer and Spirit of Radio are totally expendable! But NOT Subdivisions!!

agreed 100%

subdivisions 1022.gif

Songs I think will be played no matter what:

Tom Sawyer

Spirit Of Radio

Limelight

YYZ

Freewill

Far Cry (first single off the previous album...definitely still in)

Of couse for this tour the rest of MP is in as well...

Red Barchetta

Camera Eye

Witch Hunt

Vital Signs

Replace with:

Anthem

Bastille Day

Something For Nothing

Analog Kid

Between The Wheels (I know it was on S&A tour.. and I would make sure it stays in)

A Farewell To Kings

Earthshine

We Hold On (unplayed gem from S&A to replace Far Cry)

Cut To The Chase

Natural Science ( I like TCE, but I love Nat Sci, and am worried that it's getting the boot to make room for TCE)

Edited by Pause Rewind Replay

QUOTE (Score Out @ May 13 2010, 10:08 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 13 2010, 09:55 PM)
Must Plays:

Tom Sawyer
Limelight
Spirit of the Radio
Freewill

Freewill actually hasn't been played all that much over the years. Not played on R30, half of Vapor Trails, Counterparts, Hold Your Fire, Power Windows, or Grace Under Pressure.

So is this a possible clue that Freewill may get dropped this time around?

I hope they bring back Xanadu. In full version I mean.

A song that brought them forward a lot. Been away for quiet some time. And please don't cut that half way through to jump to Superconductor or some other kinda crap for crying out loud.

QUOTE (LERXST69 @ May 16 2010, 04:49 PM)
I hope they bring back Xanadu. In full version I mean.

A song that brought them forward a lot. Been away for quiet some time. And please don't cut that half way through to jump to Superconductor or some other kinda crap for crying out loud.

I would love that, but its not going to happen, IMO. If they do play Xanadu, it will be the same abbreviated arrangement they played on R30.

NS has been abbreviated, and Alex has already said TCE will be abbreviated (I'm not spoiling, this has been posted in numerous threads). And I am certain (highlight to spoil!) Jacobs Ladder will be abbreviated. I just can't see them doing it full length when they are abbreviating every other song that runs over 7 minutes.

It sucks, but I'd still rather hear the abbreviated versions than not at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Tom Sawyer, Spirit Of Radio, and maybe Limelight are the three songs Rush has never dropped from their set since those songs' inceptions. This being said, I only think Tom Sawyer is the one true 'must play'. It's Rush's definitive song. And I must admit I never tire of it like I do some other radio staples.

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ May 18 2010, 03:00 AM)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Tom Sawyer, Spirit Of Radio, and maybe Limelight are the three songs Rush has never dropped from their set since those songs' inceptions. This being said, I only think Tom Sawyer is the one true 'must play'. It's Rush's definitive song. And I must admit I never tire of it like I do some other radio staples.

Tom Sawyer has never been dropped but the other two have. Spirit was dropped for part of the Presto tour and Limelight has been dropped several times (surprisingly) since its release.

I could do without Tom Sawyer & Limelight beathorse.gif

But some people don't know who 2.gif is except for those songs that got radio play.

smilies-8579.png I think the real fans who listen to every song on every album need more of the lesser known songs.

With as large a library as this, how many songs are there that have NEVER been played? Is it enough to do one never played tour? confused13.gif