Time Machine or The Wall

losingit2k

Which will be the more memorable tour!  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Which will be the more memorable tour!

• Rush - Time Machine Tour
    • Roger Waters - The Wall Live

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg2112 @ May 14 2010, 09:41 AM)
QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 13 2010, 10:24 PM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ May 13 2010, 11:18 PM)
QUOTE (Chrysalii @ May 13 2010, 07:20 PM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ May 13 2010, 05:18 PM)
QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ May 13 2010, 05:15 PM)
Let's see........

The whole band Rush, playing material that they wrote (and are still writing), most of it newer than the Wall, most of it BETTER than the Wall.

vs

1 washed up guy from a band that hasn't put out any truly relevent music in more than a decade, maybe 2 decades, trying to cash in on past glory, an old album.

I don't know. Let me think about this one.  sarcasm.gif

They actually havent put out anything relevant in over three decades...

I liked The Division Bell...but that was a Watersless Floyd (and it came out in 1994)

Amused to Death was really good (probably the best Roger Waters solo album), that came out in 1992...so almost 2 decades.

In any event, I don't want to see Waters playing a whole Pink Floyd album unless the other members were there (with the absence of Rick Wright, R.I.P.). It can't be pulled off without the rest of the band. It would be like Alex Lifeson touring 2112 with himself and a touring band.

As big a Pink Floyd fan as I am, I don't want to see it. I would go in an instant if he was doing Amused to Death with a few classic Pink Floyd songs thrown in, like Gilmour did with Gdnansk.

Still, the theatrics will be top notch, it is a Pink Floyd style concert.

I would say Rush, just because the experience isn't complete without the rest of the band. It doesn't matter how big of a wall they build for the show, but it would be hard to top the one in Berlin.

If the remaining members of Pink Floyd joined with Roger, it would be huge (remember Live 8)

Right, I was referring to a true Floyd album, ie. Animals....

Animals is a fan fav....nothing beats Dark Side though. Historically, one of the best rock albums ever produced.

Agree that overall Dark Side is the masterpiece. But my personal favorite is Animals, cant get enough of that album! Favorite part of Roger's DSOTM tour was when he did Sheep.

yes.gif I saw that tour as well....that piece was amazing.

QUOTE (FootballYouBet @ May 14 2010, 02:18 PM)
Roger Waters was the founder and creative leader of Pink Floyd. That is a FACT. .

ummmm wrong. It was actually founded by Syd Barret and David Gilmour, Waters came later. Although I do agree Waters provided most of what is creative about Pink Floyd and what they are known for, no one can argue that musically, Gilmour will always have the upper hand.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 17 2010, 08:52 PM)
Roger Waters was the founder and creative leader of Pink Floyd. That is a FACT. .

ummmm wrong. It was actually founded by Syd Barret and David Gilmour, Waters came later. Although I do agree Waters provided most of what is creative about Pink Floyd and what they are known for, no one can argue that musically, Gilmour will always have the upper hand.

Um, YOU'RE the one who's wrong. Floyd was founded by Syd Barrett, who also wrote a majority of the material on Pipers. Waters was the bass player from the get-go, and Gilmour didn't join until A Saucerful of Secrets when it was proved that Barrett could no longer be relied on for guitar duty.

UMMMMM No, Gilmour came later and only after Barrett went crazy. You know nothing about Pink Floyd do you? You also have yet to provide a single logical reason why Gilmour has the "upper hand musically". Seeing as Gilmour didn't write a majority of the songs, didn't write any of the lyrics, and wasn't the creative leader of the band, and wasn't the founder of the band, it is you that cannot argue that it is Gilmour that has the upper hand musically.

I agree with one post that said if all of Pink Floyd were doing the Wall I'd go.

(I'd go now if someone bought my ticket since I have no money)

I like Roger & the Wall was good but it's not like it's Pink Floyd.

Meddle was my fav. And I miss Richard Wright.

and as to another post, I love Gilmour, but he did come later. It was Waters and Barret 1st.

I loved Division Bell and also Momentary Lapse of reason in 87 was without Roger. Pink Floyd as a group and each of them alone are new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I've seen them when ever I could, but to try to compare Rush to the Wall now....... Please 2.gif

Did you really think The Wall would win on a Rush board ? comp26.gif Silly

Does anyone care about the Yes tour with the fake Jon Anderson? Or Creed back together and touring?

2.gif is the biggest thing for me this year. And knowing they are writing and will have to tour the new record too b_sigh.gif

common001.gif applaudit.gif 653.gif icon_alienjig.gif cheer.gif bncegrn.gif chickendance.gif

Did I find all the dancers?

QUOTE (roadqueen @ May 18 2010, 03:01 PM)
Does anyone care about the Yes tour with the fake Jon Anderson?

dazed025.gif Don't knock it until you see it . Great show . The days of Jon are gone yes.gif

Does anyone care about the Yes tour with the fake Jon Anderson? Or Creed back together and touring?
2.gif is the biggest thing for me this year. And knowing they are writing and will have to tour the new record too b_sigh.gif
common001.gif applaudit.gif 653.gif icon_alienjig.gif cheer.gif bncegrn.gif chickendance.gif
Did I find all the dancers?

I'm a huge Yes fan, but would never be interested in seeing them sans Jon Anderson.

I'm going to the Yes show here in Clearwater in June .

I can't stand that the voice of Yes will not be there but I have supported them though every change, So I'm going. Yes was my 1st love at 13 wub.gif but then I ran away with Rush. whipgirl.gif (bad girl)

I love good music and all the members of Yes will always be in my heart.gif

However, I don't care how good this new guy is, he's not Jon! It's like putting in another really good drummer to replace Neil in Rush.

QUOTE (FootballYouBet @ May 18 2010, 10:32 AM)

UMMMMM No, Gilmour came later and only after Barrett went crazy. You know nothing about Pink Floyd do you? You also have yet to provide a single logical reason why Gilmour has the "upper hand musically". Seeing as Gilmour didn't write a majority of the songs, didn't write any of the lyrics, and wasn't the creative leader of the band, and wasn't the founder of the band, it is you that cannot argue that it is Gilmour that has the upper hand musically.

I stand corrected...you are right about Gilmour joining later.

Again, from the creative force, i.e. song writing, Waters is responsible for. Referring to the term "musically" I am referring to Gilmour being a better guitar player than Waters is as a bass player.

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 18 2010, 03:04 PM)

dazed025.gif Don't knock it until you see it . Great show . The days of Jon are gone yes.gif

If you're right, then the days of Yes are done. This new singer does a pretty good job of imitating Jon's sound, but not a great job. And his stage presence is nowhere near Jon's. No, without Jon, or Steve, or Chris, it's just not Yes. Maybe a good band, but not Yes. Yes is my 2nd favorite band of all time and did the best concert I ever saw but I can't support this setup.

"without Jon, or Steve, or Chris, it's just not Yes"

I tend to agree. My fav lineup was Jon, Chris, Steve, Bill and Rick.

When Bill left I was very concerned but Alan proved himself and I accepted him. I can deal with other keyboard players if I have to, but I'd much rather have Rick. Although I have been interested in seeing Rick's son.

But I can't stand anyone taking the place of Steve, Chris or Jon. Jon is the voice of Yes. You can pretend to be Jon but it won't be the same.

I wasn't going to go to this tour but a friend is taking me for my birthday and I thought I would love to see Chris and Steve play again. I've gone to see Steve, Jon and Rick before on other projects so I'm looking at it as another project with some of my fav musicians.

"Yes a poor mans Rush" wtf.gif

Yes seemed to touch my heart and Rush my head.

The more life hardens the heart, the more I turn to Rush to rock my head, and feet, and hips and...................... common001.gif cheer.gif 653.gif icon_alienjig.gif bncegrn.gif chickendance.gif

I saw this line up and even though it wasn't the original it was pretty good! The set list was great as was the show! The new guy really does a great job on vocals. However I can't say the same for Rick's son! he is good but not good enough to be in yes! Bring back anyone else or go out and get Jordan Rudes from Dream Theater! He would make a great addition to the group!

it was really great to hear:

Onward

Tempus Fugit

and Machine Messiah

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 21 2010, 10:16 PM)
I saw this line up and even though it wasn't the original it was pretty good! The set list was great as was the show! The new guy really does a great job on vocals. However I can't say the same for Rick's son! he is good but not good enough to be in yes! Bring back anyone else or go out and get Jordan Rudes from Dream Theater! He would make a great addition to the group!

it was really great to hear:

Onward
Tempus Fugit
and Machine Messiah

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

It was great to hear those songs, and the new singer did a fine job (esp on Onward), but I was disappointed over all with the show. They played sloppy and cut the setlist by two songs by the time I saw them, and it definitely seemed like they were mailing it in. Wont be seeing Yes again anytime soon.

Edited by greg2112

QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ May 19 2010, 08:55 PM)

If you're right, then the days of Yes are done. This new singer does a pretty good job of imitating Jon's sound, but not a great job. And his stage presence is nowhere near Jon's. No, without Jon, or Steve, or Chris, it's just not Yes. Maybe a good band, but not Yes. Yes is my 2nd favorite band of all time and did the best concert I ever saw but I can't support this setup.

I gotta say i never thought Jon had a Great stage presence to begin with. When i saw them in Feb Chris introduced the new guys as 'The New Members of The Band, so i think it is safe to say Jon is not coming back. I love the music of Yes, if it is not the 'Famous' lineup i dont give a rats ass. As long as it sounds good, i don't have a problem with it

trink39.gif

Is much as I would love to see The Wall perfomed, I'm chosing Rush this time 'round...for 3 reasons: a.) The tix for The Wall tour are INSANE (yes - WORSE than the Rush tickets), b.) Roger Waters is good live, but without at LEAST Gilmour, it's not the same. c.) The fact that Rush will be playing The Camera Eye AND Jacob's Ladder this tour, is an INSTANT sell for me yes.gif

Don't get me wrong - Waters & Co. puts on a GREAT show. I've seen him twice...once in 2000 (In The Flesh tour) and again in 2007 (DSotM tour), and both shows were awesome. But - given the circumstances i mentioned above, I've opted for 2.gif ! 1022.gif

The people who want to see a massive over the top production with insane lights and technology will enjoy The Wall. No doubt it's going to be the bigger production (I'm planning on catching the second leg of his N.A tour)

People who want to see good music performed even better live for 2 and a half to 3 hours and obviously majority of the people on here will obviously enjoy Rush more.

Both are going to be f***ing awesome.

QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ May 19 2010, 06:55 PM)

this. I saw it and it was ok but a little sad.

This would be a lot tougher call if Waters was doing the setlist of the 1977 tour (Animals/WYWH) instead of the Wall. I liked the Wall as a kid but on the rare instances I listen to it now, I end up skipping over half the album. There are some great songs but there is just too much filler and as other posters have said, it is very depressing as well. Add to that the Rush concert is 3 hours while the Wall even presuming they extend songs will probably only be about 1:40. So my vote goes to Rush!

Theatrically speaking, The Wall tour will blow the Time Machine tour away.

That said, the music for The Wall is essentially being proformed by a cover band. Without Gilmour's voice and guitar, it really isn't the real thing. Waters may sing most of the vocals on that record, but Gilmour sang lead on most of the better songs.

Pink Floyd after Waters was able to still flourish because Gilmour replacing Waters' lead vocals actually made those songs sound better. You wouldn't even notice a real difference on songs like Brain Damage or Shine On.

Sadly, Wright's great harmony vocals on gone forever.