Erik Norlander

tangy

I just learned about this guy yesterday when i saw he is headlining a show here in town for the Moog Foundation:

Moogus Operandi

Benefit for The Bob Moog Foundation

featuring Erik Norlander and his Wall of Doom

Northern California based synthesizer virtuoso Erik Norlander (ASIA featuring John Payne, Rocket Scientists, Lana Lane) will headline the evening, performing songs from his new album, The Galactic Collective. Norlander will be bringing the Moog legacy alive with his synth-heavy instrumentals and his "Wall of Doom" modular synthesizer (so named by his roadies). The Wall of Doom, a massive analog modular synthesizer with restored 1967 Moog modules at its heart, will grace the stage of the Orange Peel as the musical and historical representation of Bob Moog's legacy of pushing the boundaries of sonic reality.

I have heard about the Rocket Scientists before but never any of their music and the wall of doom sounds intriguing. Checked out a few tunes and am very impressed by his playing. Fans of Wakeman, Rudess, Sherinian check this guy out.

QUOTE (Soni @ May 14 2010, 12:23 PM)
Isn't he the guy in the other Asia?

Yes, that is right. I read he plays with "ASIA featuring John Payne". I am not a fan of Asia.

I listened to a few of the rocket scientist tunes and they seem pretty good too.

QUOTE (tangy @ May 14 2010, 07:35 PM)

Yes, that is right. I read he plays with "ASIA featuring John Payne". I am not a fan of Asia.

I listened to a few of the rocket scientist tunes and they seem pretty good too.

Woah great track!

I'll check them out Tangy!

thank's for the head up

QUOTE (Soni @ May 15 2010, 04:14 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ May 14 2010, 07:35 PM)

Woah great track!

I'll check them out Tangy!

thank's for the head up

trink39.gif

I listened to a bunch of his music this weekend. Looking forward to the show for sure.

QUOTE (Soni @ May 27 2010, 04:57 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ May 27 2010, 11:41 PM)
tonight!  1022.gif

Review wanted trink39.gif

trink39.gif here ya go....

first off, i took my son to his second "rock" concert and he was parked in the front row most of the show right in front of Erik. Before the show he was able to play on 3 theremins and two Moog keyboards. He loved that for sure.

The show was very good but certainly unusual. Erik played 4 songs by himself most of which are posted above. The remainder of the show he brought out local musicians and his wife Lana Lane. Apparently he has been here since last friday reconfiguring the wall of doom and practicing with the local musicians. It was a strange yet good combination of high tech keyboards mixed with instruments including banjo, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, electric violin, theremin and up to 3 dudes playing bongoes and other hand held drums.

Asheville is known for its weekly drum circle and I thought the drums and everyone else for that matter meshed nicely wit the moog.

Erik is killer and I wish i had bought his latest disc. Instead junior got a sweet Moog shirt which zapped my cash on hand.

I did enjoy two Moog Unfiltered Ales though, a local brewery donated to the cause and the brew was unveiled tonight.

The other cool thing is the Moog Foundation is starting a music/science program for elementary school kids with the plan to take it nation wide.

Finally the wall of doom was reconfigured and is now half the size. Its still 6 giant cubes but now it will be easier to travel with it. Parts of the wall of doom are from 1967!

A good night for a good cause. 1022.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ May 27 2010, 07:58 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ May 27 2010, 08:00 PM)
Isn't Erik married to Lana?

correct you are sir! she was there tonight and sang on 3 or 4 songs they performed.

Right on buddy!!! Nice to know my brain came up with that little bit o rock knowledge!

Must have been a great show!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ May 11 2010, 10:56 AM)
Checked out a few tunes and am very impressed by his playing. Fans of Wakeman, Rudess, Sherinian check this guy out.

Thanks, but this guy does little for me. Nor do Rudess and Sherinian (he is particularly overrated). To put the great Rick Wakeman in the same sentence as these wannabes is degrading to Mr. Wakeman.

I am sorry, but maybe I am getting to be an old man. rofl3.gif I cannot take these kids seriously having been raised on the greats:

1. Keith Emerson

2. Patrick Moraz

3. Rick Wakeman

4. Jon Hammer

5. Don Airey

6. Chick Corea

7. Herbie Hancock

8. Jon Lord

9. Eddie Jobson

10. Tony Banks

11. Tony Kaye

12. John Evans

13. David Palmer

14. Oscar Peterson

15. Makoto Ozone

16. Richard Wright

17. Geddy Lee

18. Dave Stewart

19. Robin Lumley

20. Keith Jarrett

QUOTE (Earthshine @ May 28 2010, 01:53 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ May 11 2010, 10:56 AM)
Checked out a few tunes and am very impressed by his playing. Fans of Wakeman, Rudess, Sherinian check this guy out.

Thanks, but this guy does little for me. Nor do Rudess and Sherinian (he is particularly overrated). To put the great Rick Wakeman in the same sentence as these wannabes is degrading to Mr. Wakeman.

I am sorry, but maybe I am getting to be an old man. rofl3.gif I cannot take these kids seriously having been raised on the greats:

1. Keith Emerson

2. Patrick Moraz

3. Rick Wakeman

4. Jon Hammer

5. Don Airey

6. Chick Corea

7. Herbie Hancock

8. Jon Lord

9. Eddie Jobson

10. Tony Banks

11. Tony Kaye

12. John Evans

13. David Palmer

14. Oscar Peterson

15. Makoto Ozone

16. Richard Wright

17. Geddy Lee

18. Dave Stewart

19. Robin Lumley

20. Keith Jarrett

schla03.gif it must suck to be you. do you ever write a positive post?

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ May 27 2010, 11:36 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ May 27 2010, 07:58 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ May 27 2010, 08:00 PM)
Isn't Erik married to Lana?

correct you are sir! she was there tonight and sang on 3 or 4 songs they performed.

Right on buddy!!! Nice to know my brain came up with that little bit o rock knowledge!

Must have been a great show!

trink39.gif

trink39.gif thanks man! it was a great show.

Archived