Generations - who's taking their kids to a show?

Mara

I am taking my 9 year old son this time.

I have taken my two older daughters the last two tours, so it's the boys turn.

He is quite the little air drummer, so I am looking forward to seeing his reaction to the live RUSH show!!!!!

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ May 10 2010, 08:49 AM)
We took our daughters over the years. Now we take Agent By-tor (. . . at 16, the oldest of our Grandsons) who will be going to his fourth and fifth shows this tour.

Spending money on an EXPERIENCE is sooooo much more valuable and memorable than spending money on STUFF. We are creating memories that will last beyond our time!!!

Three generations of RUSH fans in this Clan!!!!

Hare biggrin.gif

Hold up - you guys are grandparents to a 16 year old???? I've seen pics of both of you and NEVER would have guessed!

I am taking my 5 year old son to his very first Rush (and concert for that matter) show. He plays drums almost everyday with me (I play the guitar) and he is a huge Rush fan. I have been playing Rush for him since he was in Mommy's tummy. He is really excited. I will be making him wear earplugs though. We are sitting 17th row dead center. I sure hope some people don't get too upset when I put him on my shoulders for some tunes.....my hope is he can see standing on his chair. Anyway this will be such a joy to watch his eye's light up as soon as we get to our seats...look at the stage...then when Rush hits the first notes....he will be blown away! I just hope he can stay awake the entire show (his bed time is pretty much between 8-8:30 like clockwork) Mom needs to get him down for a nap that day (not an easy task as he is not really much of a napper). Anywhoo......so pumped for him...and I think I will enjoy watching him more than the band. His favorite stuff seems to mirror me of course...but he pretty much knows most of the catalog.

Dad has a guy's only roadtrip the day before in Tampa. cool.gif

Edited by Todem

When this tour was announced I got so excited because I always wanted to make Rush my daughter's (age 11) first real concert experience and back on S&A I felt she was a little bit too young. She has sat with me and watched my dvd collection (when she was growing up she called One Little Victory her Dragon song...lol) but can't wait to see her reactions to viewing it live in an arena (Nationwide in Columbus).

I did my part about 16 years ago. (not sure of the date)

Counterparts Tour, Candlebox opened. My son was 14 or 15 confused13.gif

He wanted to see Candlebox and didn't really care about seeing Rush. 1022.gif

I wanted to see Rush and didn't really care about Candlebox. 1022.gif

I was very impressed with Candlebox and went to see them many times after. My son was BLOWN AWAY by Rush and told all his friends how great they are. He has been to almost every show with me since.

Oh and we had 2nd row right in front of Ged which helped add to how great the show was.

I would love to, but at 18 months Niall's still a little too young to attend his first Rush show. He definitely wouldn't sit still for 3 hours either, though I think he'd enjoy some of it - especially the Drum Solo. Just have to hope they're still touring in 5 years or so.

Edited by Todem

My daughter Sam started going to Rush shows when she was 5. She is 18 now and this tour will be no different except for the fact that this time she will be driving from college to meet me at the show. Time goes by to quickly!

I've been knocked over, had my hair caught on fire, punched in the face, elbowed in the face, elbowed in the chest, hit in the back, had beer poured all over me just to name a few things that happened in the first 10 rows of reserved seats. Where ever adults are drinking, and I know I'll be drinking trink39.gif

So I wouldn't risk my child. I've also gotten a contact high from being in the room with so much weed smoked around me but these days it's usually no smoking so that's not as much a problem as it used to be. Too bad. LOL cool10.gif

QUOTE (roadqueen @ May 10 2010, 02:33 PM)
I've been knocked over, had my hair caught on fire, punched in the face, elbowed in the face, elbowed in the chest, hit in the back, had beer poured all over me just to name a few things that happened in the first 10 rows of reserved seats. Where ever adults are drinking, and I know I'll be drinking trink39.gif 
So I wouldn't risk my child. I've also gotten a contact high from being in the room with so much weed smoked around me but these days it's usually no smoking so that's not as much a problem as it used to be. Too bad. LOL cool10.gif

Wow.....I have not seen those types of things at a Rush show....since maybe the Grace Under Pressure tour. Very tame crowds for the most part in South Florida for Rush in that regard....high energy in standing up and singing etc...but violence not too much I have seen. Of course there was the tear gas show down here back during Signals. sad.gif

Edited by Todem

I'm not saying I was hit on purpose,pokey.gif for the most part Rush shows are not violent but things happen with excitable people in altered states. I've been hit by many a flying object as well.

Rush audiences are more on the male side and we all stand, it's not like a peaceful Yes show where I can't get anyone to stand for nothing. Not that male audiences are violent waffen093.gif

I'm bringing my 8 year old son (drummer and guitarist) who is mad about Rush. It is going to be an incredible experience for him as we are flying to the States (volcanoes permitting) from England. It will also be his first concert so that is going to create on hell of a memory for him. Rush is not the kind of band I've seen trouble at and these open air venues and no smoking stops that particular nasty. Ear defenders are going to be a must (his dad has hearing loss from his stage monitor hen he was in a band) so it doesn't do to underestimate the potential for damage.

I'm taking my 14 year old son to the Atlanta show with two of my best pals. He was pretty bummed last go 'round. I went to opening night (S&As 2007), Charlotte and Atlanta 2008. He wanted to know why I got to see RUSH three times in about a years time and he was not included once. Well, on Saturday, I presented him a ticket (ORCH 2 ROW Z) for his B-Day (May 5th). I was unable to get tickets - Census Bureau training, but my pals came through. I'm totally fine with the seats. Would have liked to get a bit closer, just so The Boy could get a good look, but we shall be completely satisfied. He is a big fan. Don't need to go into all that, except... he and a classmate did their AP Physics project (video) on waves. Their teacher is a big RUSH fan so they did Broon's Bane for closing credits music and credited RUSH for music and other inspirations. Tried to talk them into using Geddy and Alex's "real" names to see if their teacher would catch it. They weezed 'cuz they said he'd know for sure. Groovy teacher, eh? The Boy has also seen Paul McCartney (his choice) and Roger Waters Dark Side Tour '08. Am struggling to make the Roger Waters The Wall show happen in Nov. Just too much durn $ for a ... Census taker... temporary worker... yeah, yeah. Alright then. Hope to see lots of y'all here in Atlanta. Freaking school night too - next year.......!!!!

QUOTE (johndyar @ May 10 2010, 12:50 PM)
My daughter Sam started going to Rush shows when she was 5. She is 18 now and this tour will be no different except for the fact that this time she will be driving from college to meet me at the show. Time goes by to quickly!

Wow...a pic with Niel in it

I'm taking my boy, age 6, to the Seattle show.

It'll be the first Rush show for each of us, his first concert (mine was Styx in about 1982).

There's some historic significance beyond the father/son first show thing. 30 years ago, i begged my mom to let me attend the original Moving Pictures tour in Toronto. She steadfastly refused based on the belief that I would be trampled to death (thanks to the Who) or killed in a riot (thanks to Alice Cooper). 30 years later ... sweet justice.

I loved Rush as a kid, but gave up in the 80s, believing that everything after Signals was garbage. I literally did not listen to a note of their music from about age 14 onward, unless it was on the radio.

Came back to them just a few years ago when my son started getting into music, as his tastes gravitated towards the heavier side of rock. Was tickled to discover that revisiting their music brought me right back to those teenage years in friends' basements playing air guitar and drums. I've now brought myself up to speed on the rest of their back catalogue (extensive review post to come) and can't believe I ever got off the bus. Can't wait to catch them live with my little guy in tow. So psyched.