San Antonio

traeplien

My wife and I will be traveling to San Antonio for the first time next September, to see Rush. We'll arrive on Thursday (day of the concert) and spend the rest of the weekend in the River Walk area. We would appreciate advice/ideas on best places to see/eat/drink/stay and where the Rush fans will be gathering before the show. God Bless!! Edited by traeplien

Place to Eat:

http://www.rudys.com/

Rudy's Barbecue

It's a good hour North from Riverwalk/Downtown but well worth it. You buy your meat by the pound and grub on it on a picnic table. Best BBQ in San Antonio and that says a lot.

In general, you want to stay away from any restaurants on Riverwalk. They're tourist traps (expensive and not very good), though you may want to do it just for the ambiance.

Enjoy!

I would never pee on the Alamo. Unless, that is, I had to go soooo bad and there was nowhere else to go. biggrin.gif

Hey, I appreciate the heads up but we're thinking we do want to hang in the Riverwalk area and do the tourist thing since its our only time there.

Last year, we visited San Francisco for my best friends wedding and some people told us to stay away from the Wharf area as it too is a tourist trap. Glad we didn't listen to that advice. Had the time of our lives there.

So, what are the best eateries at the Riverwalk??

QUOTE (traeplien @ May 9 2010, 10:22 AM)
My wife and I will be traveling to San Antonio for the first time next September, to see Rush. We'll arrive on Thursday (day of the concert) and spend the rest of the weekend in the River Walk area. We would appreciate advice/ideas on best places to see/eat/drink/stay and where the Rush fans will be gathering before the show. God Bless!!

Are you two into stripclubs? confused13.gif

stay @ The Drury Plaza Hotel Downtown. It used to be Alamo National Bank. Its on the Riverwalk. Go to Maddogs British Pub on the Riverwalk to drink. Its a cool place. Eat @ Chesters.. great burgers. Also try Chris Madrid's for Texmex food. Edited by keakag

QUOTE (traeplien @ May 9 2010, 12:04 PM)
I would never pee on the Alamo. Unless, that is, I had to go soooo bad and there was nowhere else to go. biggrin.gif
Hey, I appreciate the heads up but we're thinking we do want to hang in the Riverwalk area and do the tourist thing since its our only time there.
Last year, we visited San Francisco for my best friends wedding and some people told us to stay away from the Wharf area as it too is a tourist trap. Glad we didn't listen to that advice. Had the time of our lives there.

That's fine, but you mentioned you're getting there Thursday and spending the rest of the weekend there. That's 4 days. Riverwalk is nice and everything, but there's not 4 days worth of stuff to see and things to do....point being you may want to venture outside of Riverwalk. It's just a long river with a lot of restaurants and vendors.

Whatever you do...enjoy! It's all in the name of Rush!

QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 9 2010, 11:30 PM)
My wife and I will be traveling to San Antonio for the first time next September, to see Rush. We'll arrive on Thursday (day of the concert) and spend the rest of the weekend in the River Walk area. We would appreciate advice/ideas on best places to see/eat/drink/stay and where the Rush fans will be gathering before the show. God Bless!!

I am, she's not. smile.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ May 10 2010, 12:11 PM)
QUOTE (traeplien @ May 9 2010, 12:04 PM)
I would never pee on the Alamo. Unless, that is, I had to go soooo bad and there was nowhere else to go.  biggrin.gif

That's fine, but you mentioned you're getting there Thursday and spending the rest of the weekend there. That's 4 days. Riverwalk is nice and everything, but there's not 4 days worth of stuff to see and things to do....point being you may want to venture outside of Riverwalk. It's just a long river with a lot of restaurants and vendors.

Whatever you do...enjoy! It's all in the name of Rush!

Well, Thursday will be travel day (we live in North Carolina). That leaves Friday and Saturday to play. Sunday, we'll probably fly out early. We thought about doing two nights but it seems like a waste of airfare to stay for just two nights.

Down the river, 10 walk to RIVER WALK, are some B&Bs. The area is nice, and likely worth a check. Venue is great...there is a plaza outside for gatherings.

QUOTE (osage2112 @ May 12 2010, 09:19 AM)
Down the river, 10 walk to RIVER WALK, are some B&Bs. The area is nice, and likely worth a check. Venue is great...there is a plaza outside for gatherings.

Thank you. Our tix are in section 103 about a dozen rows up. Decent seats??

QUOTE (traeplien @ May 12 2010, 09:30 AM)
Down the river, 10 walk to RIVER WALK, are some B&Bs.  The area is nice, and likely worth a check.  Venue is great...there is a plaza outside for gatherings.

they are ok. We are in sec 103 also. Row 22

QUOTE (keakag @ May 13 2010, 03:15 PM)
QUOTE (traeplien @ May 12 2010, 09:30 AM)
Down the river, 10 walk to RIVER WALK, are some B&Bs.  The area is nice, and likely worth a check.  Venue is great...there is a plaza outside for gatherings.

they are ok. We are in sec 103 also. Row 22

Wow, thats close. I think we're in row 18. Still waiting for my tix.

QUOTE (traeplien @ May 10 2010, 09:26 PM)

laugh.gif ...then steal away while she's sleeping.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ May 9 2010, 10:34 AM)
Place to Eat:

http://www.rudys.com/

Rudy's Barbecue

It's a good hour North from Riverwalk/Downtown but well worth it. You buy your meat by the pound and grub on it on a picnic table. Best BBQ in San Antonio and that says a lot.

In general, you want to stay away from any restaurants on Riverwalk. They're tourist traps (expensive and not very good), though you may want to do it just for the ambiance.

Enjoy!

This is some good BBQ, for sure!

QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 13 2010, 10:18 PM)

I don't know, man. At my age, I get tired easy, especially after a night of Rush and playtime with my wife. wink.gif

We just went to San Antonio with our kids last summer! I can say you are staying in the best area in town! Very Lively and fun! Make sure you take the River crusie and See the Bats at sunset! There is also a very nice restaurant at the Sky tower, a bit pricey but the views were incredible, again at sunset! If you have a time and want to get out of the heat, go to Natural Bridge Caverns during the day! Your won't regret it!

San Antonio is a beautiful city full of history and excitement!

You're going to go bananas, specially after a 2.gif show!

common001.gif

QUOTE (traeplien @ May 14 2010, 06:39 AM)
QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 13 2010, 10:18 PM)

I don't know, man. At my age, I get tired easy, especially after a night of Rush and playtime with my wife. wink.gif

Cool....yeah, don't want to piss her off while you're having a good time enjoying Rush.