*POSSIBLE SPOLIER* The Camera Eye Will Be...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a great song....but too repetitive for a concert. It definitely needs a "nip and tuck", especially if it cuts into other songs. Plus, other than the lyrics, both halves are musically the same.

Honestly I was hoping they WOULD cut it a bit. Do the intro, one of the verses, the bridge, solo and end it. I'm guessing they're going to do either the London or NYC verse like on the Signals tour.

I usually get angry when Rush shortens songs, or does medleys but this is one instance where I completely agree with them.

I just re-listened to the studio version of TCE last night, and I can pretty much tell which parts they will cut/alter. If it's close to what I think they will do, it will still sound great. Even heard a few recordings of the "Signals" tour version of the song, and I was thinking that they will possibly just play the song similar to THAT version.

Either way, it will sound really cool, imo yes.gif

Edited by ALifeson85

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ May 8 2010, 12:42 PM)
Just for reference, here's a video of Rush performing TCE live from the Signals tour:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u195/Number-4/Icons/youtube.png Rush - The Camera Eye 4-8-1983

So they basically just cut out the second verse. That wouldn't be too bad, although I like the London part better. tongue.gif

Maybe they can alternate New York/London each night.

I'd much rather they cut something from Tom Sawyer or Limelight since those songs have been run into the ground by radio. I'm looking forward to hearing Camera Eye and Witch Hunt the most. (from that album)

But I'm just looking forward to hearing them live again period, so they can play anything they want and I'll be happy. drool1.gif b_sigh.gif

I think they play both verses no question. I think they cut the transition out of the first suite into the second suite down several measures.

I don't think it is going to be as bad as some might think.

Plus we are getting Jacobs Ladder!!!!!!!!!!

And plenty of other suprises I am sure.

I'm ok with them shortening the song slightly. I did get to see it twice on the MP tour and think they can pull it off without wrecking the integrity of the song. I personally find Jacob's Ladder a little long in the middle also but am glad they're playing it. I do believe because of Camera Eye & JL being played that it won't leave room for any of the other longer songs they've played such as Xanadu, Natural Science, Working Man or Bytor unless they are also abbreviated. Edited by syd11

QUOTE (syd11 @ May 10 2010, 01:38 PM)
I'm ok with them shortening the song slightly. I did get to see it twice on the MP tour and think they can pull it off without wrecking the integrity of the song. I personally find Jacob's Ladder a little long in the middle also but am glad they're playing it. I do believe because of Camera Eye & JL being played that it won't leave room for any of the other longer songs they've played such as Xanadu, Natural Science, Working Man or Bytor unless they are also abbreviated.

I would not be shocked to see Xanadu again like they perfromed it on R-30....I'll take it!

QUOTE (Todem @ May 10 2010, 01:18 PM)
I think they play both verses no question. I think they cut the transition out of the first suite into the second suite down several measures.

I agree with this..

Maybe there nipping 30 seconds of 'traffic noise' at the beginning of the song.

It always sounded, to me, like the game "Freeway" on Atari 2600..

Which I thought was cool.

QUOTE (red sector animal @ May 10 2010, 01:51 PM)
QUOTE (Todem @ May 10 2010, 01:18 PM)

I agree with this..

Maybe there nipping 30 seconds of 'traffic noise' at the beginning of the song.

It always sounded, to me, like the game "Freeway" on Atari 2600..

Which I thought was cool.

I think it's actually taken from the Superman movie or something.

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ May 3 2010, 03:08 PM)
...cut. Yes, that's right. Boasting to play Moving Pictures "in its entirety" is now indirectly deemed false by Alex himself.

Here's a clip from an interview with Alex Lifeson on 93.3 WMMR, Allentown:
QUOTE (Alex Lifeson)
... The problem with 'Camera Eye' is it's a very long song and it takes up a great deal of time; but we've reconciled that by including it in this presentation. I think we might do a little bit of nip-and-tucking. We've been listening to it and there are areas where we can drop one cycle of this particular part or that part and it would really be missed, and just streamline it a little bit. Having listened to it, it's not difficult. It's incredible how quickly these things come back -- you make it up to be such a big obstacle until you actually sit down and play it, and your hands just naturally go to their proper positions after a few times through. It'll be fun putting it together for sure. ...
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u195/Number-4/Icons/winamp.gif Listen Here

He basically reiterates the same thing is this interview from 95.1 WZZO:

QUOTE (Alex Lifeson)
... We listened to 'Camera Eye' and ... we've never really been into it. It's a long song, takes up about 10 minutes, so we've kind of avoided that. We thought with this kind of presentation, obviously we have to include it. We went back and listened to 'Camera Eye' and we did a little bit of nip-and-tucking, because after 30 years, we feel it could use it. It'll make it a little more interesting for us to play, and I really doubt that fans will notice much of a difference. ...
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u195/Number-4/Icons/winamp.gif Listen Here

Oh no, I hope they don't cut Alex's solo out! That's the best part!

Also, PLEASE don't "Digital Man 2007" it either. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ May 3 2010, 03:48 PM)
Check your DVDs...how many of you missed it? I did, because that is one of my favorite verses. But, I still almost had the big "O" when I heard it live the first time! ohmy.gif Which I am sure will be the case when I hear TCE!

You had a big ostrich!?

I kind of miss the 2nd Alex solo at the end they never play for Natural Science, but I like how they extend the beginning once it rocks out and Geddy says the "Wheels within wheels" verse twice.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 5 2010, 10:23 PM)
Plus, other than the lyrics, both halves are musically the same.

You could say the same thing about Xanadu, only that song's much better and would suffer a lot more from an edit.

I think they will need to tweak it, to ramp up the songs live energy.

The TCE is very much a 'studio magic' song.

One of those magic songs that really moves you in its recorded album version instead of the other way around, where the live versions bring the studio verion to life.

I'm guessing thats why it was always shunned as an addition to a tours setlist.

But if they rearrange it...we might get all the fun and sounds of TCE, with an added emotional charge that might not otherwise happen if the all the measures roll on just as they were put down on tape.

A rush only rush can provide.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ May 10 2010, 03:07 PM)
I'd like to see Xanadu again, but this time they need to play it with the whole intro. That's like the best part!

I agree....but I will take the R-30 version over nothing. It would be awesome if they did the The Trees/Xanadu suite like ESL again (forget Broons Bane, it will never be heard again).

Here is to wishful thinking.

As far as Jacobs Ladder....I listened to it this morning taking my son to school. I can hear where they will make the cut...and it will be on the bridge (all at once the clouds are parting) they will go right into the words after one measure of music and then go into the outro music. That part is great in the studio and of course sounded good live on ESL but they will chop that...other than that I can't see why they would need to chop anything else...the song is not that long if you shave 30-45 seconds right there.

i'm ok with whatever they choose to do....it's their song and their tour....they can do whatever they want......when they get around to doing things I dont enjoy anymore then I wont go see them live anymore but currently I still enjoy every second of seeing them live.