Up close or being farther back...

fonzbear2000

Which do you prefer?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• up close
    • being farther back

Personally, I like being back farther because if you're up close, you miss the amazing light show that Rush put on and for me, that's a major part of the concert going experience. That's just my opinion. Which do you prefer?

Up close without a doubt. The only reason I could think of wanting to be towards the back would be in a GA show with no seats. It gets annoying with the mass of people, being bumped into, beer spilled on you, etc...

I couldn't care less about the lasers and lights show. It was cool the first couple of tours (that I saw) but I'm definately there for the music. I'd easily vote for getting rid of the light shows, pyrotechnics, videos, etcc. if I could save a couple of bucks off the ticket price.

I love being up close!!!!!!! I don't know why, but I feel far more interactive up close

I did however see a show in NH on the 08 leg from Howard's mixing board, and being back there, it sure is something to see all the lights!!!!!!

Well, I've never really been lucky enough to be super close.

But I still chose UP CLOSE.

The closest I've been was in Row 10 back in 2007, and then Row 19 the next week.

This year, I got 6th Row tickets...so I'm slowly getting closer to my goal of front row! wink.gif

If i am in the first 5 rows, then cool. Anything after that i would get 1st level seats

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 28 2010, 10:19 AM)
If i am in the first 5 rows, then cool. Anything after that i would get 1st level seats

I agree with you. Further back on the floor is terrible, especially if you're not tall. And GA is unacceptable to me, cant see well and way too crowded. The older Im getting the more I like the first level seats as well.

Being front row is GREAT. You can really see the guys playing and hear them playing, as opposed to just hearing them over the speakers. You have a good chance of making eye contact with any of the members and, as Rushgirl said, really interacting with them.

But yes, you do miss the light show and getting to see everyone around you just as excited as you are.

I'm an audio engineer and used to mix FOH for a living. While being up close(1st several rows) puts you closer to the artist, it also puts you in a hole in the sound between what's actually coming off the stage(which often sounds horrible) and what's coming off the main speaker stacks. In other words, the sound usually blows there, especially for someone like me that HATES bad sound. Then of course as someone else said, you don't get the full effect of the light show either. And that is why I prefer being about a dozen rows back. For the Boston show, I am sitting 13th row center. 1022.gif

QUOTE (FootballYouBet @ Apr 28 2010, 11:16 AM)
I'm an audio engineer and used to mix FOH for a living. While being up close(1st several rows) puts you closer to the artist, it also puts you in a hole in the sound between what's actually coming off the stage(which often sounds horrible) and what's coming off the main speaker stacks. In other words, the sound usually blows there, especially for someone like me that HATES bad sound. Then of course as someone else said, you don't get the full effect of the light show either. And that is why I prefer being about a dozen rows back. For the Boston show, I am sitting 13th row center.  1022.gif

Yep, that's exactly what I've found. I've spent all night starring at Alex from 2 rows back. But that same tour I had a much better show sitting about 17 rows back in the center. That was at Montage Mountain, in Pa. for the VT tour.

Edited by red sector animal

I care not for the light show. I care not for perfect sound. I want to *see* them as close as possible.

Now, what sucks about this is I know I'm not going to be able to afford a seat within the first few rows (as tix average $1,000 per) for the Seattle show. And I hate being far away from the action so I probably won't be going. Yes, I know, doesn't make me sound like a good fan. I just like to be up close, in on the action and anything far away, ruins the experience for me. The closer I am, the more I feel a part of the show.

I normally get seats between 6-15 rows back. Last year at Concord I got front row in the 200s (rear section) because I was taking my son and he is short, so I figured he would be able to see better. As far as my son was concerned, it was a great call. As for me, I would never want to sit back there again. It is a totally different experience being closer to the stage.

If I only get two tickets for a Rush show it has to be the first three rows.

Sometimes you get lucky and get picked to wear the wristband and head into the pit.

Wendy and I were in the third row in Marysville for S&A and we got picked to move up front.

We stood right in front of Alex and he recognized us. Well, my wife and he handed her a guitar pick right before "The Way The Wind Blows" kicked in.

Classic Rush moment!!

I wonder what he will give her on this tour? wacko.gif

I like to be back a bit, where the floor starts to climb up, can see over everybody and it is a great view, can see the light show really well and feel the vibs just fine, feel the mist and the heat. Too close for me is not good, can't stand looking up at them, hurts my back and neck. wacko.gif

I have sat in many different spots for Rush over the years. Front Row Geddy side, Second Row Geddy Side, 6th Row center, 13th Row Alex side etc etc.

I love being up close...the experience is just amazing. I also love sitting back 15-20 rows center for sonic reasons too. This leg that's exactly where I will be...the MT pre-sale gave me 17th dead center for WPB and 25th dead center for Tampa (although I will try to upgrade to the first 5 rows for this show...we shall see).

If you have never sat close (within the first 5 rows close)...you owe it to yourself to at least do it once.

Next leg I will be up close for at least one show.

So I prefer up close and personal.

Up close, hands down for me. You can actually have interaction with the band. Geddy did interact with me on the '08 leg. He would be standing right in front of me and I would pull out my phone and try to snap a pic and he'd move. I finally held a finger up asking for just 1 pic, and he stayed in the same spot long enough for me to get it, winked at me and went back to the mic.

QUOTE (FootballYouBet @ Apr 28 2010, 11:16 AM)
I'm an audio engineer and used to mix FOH for a living. While being up close(1st several rows) puts you closer to the artist, it also puts you in a hole in the sound between what's actually coming off the stage(which often sounds horrible) and what's coming off the main speaker stacks. In other words, the sound usually blows there, especially for someone like me that HATES bad sound. Then of course as someone else said, you don't get the full effect of the light show either. And that is why I prefer being about a dozen rows back. For the Boston show, I am sitting 13th row center. 1022.gif

Holy Crap...A San Pedro Beach Bums reference!!!!

Up close is the way to go.

I agree with RushGirl, about the interactive aspects of the show of being up front.

Also, apetersvt made a great point about being there for the music.

I've got front row seats for Holmdel 03 September and looks like I'll be flying solo up to Syracuse the night before...a double-header!

Where ever you are sitting on the upcoming tour, a guarantee is that it will be a great show...have a great time everyone!

~Cheers, RGLT

AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif