* Spoiler * The Opening Song is...

Score Out

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 23 2010, 07:53 PM)
I'm Still going with 2112/Overture!

This would be a great start! Followed by Freewill!

I don't understand why anyone would be excited to hear stuff like 2112 or Xanadu at 7:00 in bright daylight while a third of the crowd is still trying to find their seats. That would royally suck.

Although I much preferred when they played indoors, even the outdoor shows would be a lot better if they started an hour or so later. Most people don't get home until midnight anyway, what difference would it make to be another hour later? I just think having a huge part of the show (most of the first set) in daylight really detracts from the energy of the whole thing. It feels less like an intense musical event and more like some July 4th concert at the park. I sure am glad I got to see them indoors in 2008 again in Austin. I completely understand that things have changed but it's just not as exciting as when the lights would go totally dark indoors right as the show started and it was generally much louder in most cases too.

Oh well, I'm just getting old.

Couldn't agree more. We normally get Rush in Florida around June/July when they tour. The sun is still high in the sky and blazing until midway through the set. This year we get them during the fall in October. Since the show is close to Daylight Savings in which is in November, i'm hoping for a much better show atmosphere wise.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TSOR makes perfect sense. Great, classic opener. Lyrically, it's always been a good opener as well.

When did everyone turn on S and A? I still love it though I don't need to hear 6 songs from it this time. But let me tell ya: I'd rather hear 45 minutes of S and A and Vapor Trails than Caress of Steel in its entirety--

QUOTE (HigherWater @ May 24 2010, 01:26 PM)
TSOR makes perfect sense. Great, classic opener. Lyrically, it's always been a good opener as well.
When did everyone turn on S and A? I still love it though I don't need to hear 6 songs from it this time. But let me tell ya: I'd rather hear 45 minutes of S and A and Vapor Trails than Caress of Steel in its entirety--

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 23 2010, 07:53 PM)
I'm Still going with 2112/Overture!

This would be a great start! Followed by Freewill!

I don't understand why anyone would be excited to hear stuff like 2112 or Xanadu at 7:00 in bright daylight while a third of the crowd is still trying to find their seats. That would royally suck.

Although I much preferred when they played indoors, even the outdoor shows would be a lot better if they started an hour or so later. Most people don't get home until midnight anyway, what difference would it make to be another hour later? I just think having a huge part of the show (most of the first set) in daylight really detracts from the energy of the whole thing. It feels less like an intense musical event and more like some July 4th concert at the park. I sure am glad I got to see them indoors in 2008 again in Austin. I completely understand that things have changed but it's just not as exciting as when the lights would go totally dark indoors right as the show started and it was generally much louder in most cases too.

Oh well, I'm just getting old.

Very good point. However, it wouldn't suck for me personally to have them open with Xanadu. Again, once the lights are up and they start into that mesmerizing opening sound, you become too absorbed to realize its not pitch black outside. That's what happened when Yes opened with Close To The Edge. Its a helluva ride. 653.gif

QUOTE (Solitudeix @ Apr 26 2010, 11:19 AM)
Score out could pm me with some setlist hints...
I wouldnt mind... I am trying to get people together to come with me to the show. I could convince them with some info.
biggrin.gif

Geez if you HAVE to convince anyone wtf.gif to go see Rush forget it, we don't want em there.

And someone mentioned (many many pages ago) only liking 4 songs on S & A. I think every song on that album is great. moose.gif As a matter of fact this weekend listening to it I thought this may just be the best album they have ever made. wub.gif

So Far Cry would be a kick ass opener hit or no hit. NeilFinal.gif

QUOTE (roadqueen @ May 24 2010, 03:03 PM)
And someone mentioned (many many pages ago) only liking 4 songs on S & A. I think every song on that album is great.  moose.gif  As a matter of fact this weekend listening to it I thought this may just be the best album they have ever made.  wub.gif 

I think you are talking about me bekloppt.gif with the 4 songs but i think you are fing.gif if you think S&A is the best album they ever did laugh.gif

Edited by metaldad

i do not understand how anyone can call smakes and arrows their best album ever, unless you do not understand music.

albums like moving pictures 2112 and others are way better. it is not like i dont like that album, but it is too soft in comparison to the other ones. i dont know, maybe you like that soft rock sound better, but that is you , not the most of rush fans. please keep that in mind

What does understanding music have to do with smilies-8579.png of what I like best?

I think my taste in music is the best but then it's MINE isn't it so it would be the best to me.

I understand that I really like certain music and that I really don't like other music. smilies-8579.png I don't understand how anyone who could say any Rush album or song sucks, if that's what they think smilies-8579.png they should go to another forum. But then that's just smilies-8579.png isn' it .

I may not like one Rush song as much as another but would never call myself a fan and say it sucks, or try to put anyone down because what they like, or dislike.

You like what you like, I like what I like. And I like 2.gif

And yeah, you have no idea how fing.gif I am, but not over my taste in music.

I see way too much arrogant, nasty posts in the forum. Brings to mind Witch hunt.

QUOTE (roadqueen @ May 24 2010, 03:55 PM)
What does understanding music have to do with smilies-8579.png of what I like best?
I think my taste in music is the best but then it's MINE isn't it so it would be the best to me.
I understand that I really like certain music and that I really don't like other music. smilies-8579.png I don't understand how anyone who could say any Rush album or song sucks, if that's what they think smilies-8579.png they should go to another forum. But then that's just smilies-8579.png isn' it .
I may not like one Rush song as much as another but would never call myself a fan and say it sucks, or try to put anyone down because what they like, or dislike.
You like what you like, I like what I like. And I like 2.gif

And yeah, you have no idea how fing.gif I am, but not over my taste in music.

I see way too much arrogant, nasty posts in the forum. Brings to mind Witch hunt.

I hope you know i was not trying to say anything that would upset you. The more you are around here you will see a lot of people have a little fun going back and forth with each other. Don't take it personally. You will see this fing.gif a lot This is all smilies-8579.png ofcourse

laugh.gif

Geez if you HAVE to convince anyone wtf.gif to go see Rush forget it, we don't want em there.

confused13.gif

Time off from work, transportation arrangements, and $$$...

Not everyone I know who likes Rush wants to take the necessary steps to put those 3 things together unless they feel its worth it.

Some people I know wont go to a show in Montreal at night if they have to work in the morning, let alone in another city without a car to take them there (because here in Montreal you do not need a car to live happily if you work in the city). Add in the day off afterwards (certain folks I know would not be paid for said day off) and it changes things a bit. Starts to be a bit of a hassle for those not as devout as I am.

confused13.gif

QUOTE (Solitudeix @ May 25 2010, 07:57 PM)

confused13.gif

Time off from work, transportation arrangements, and $$$...

Not everyone I know who likes Rush wants to take the necessary steps to put those 3 things together unless they feel its worth it.

Some people I know wont go to a show in Montreal at night if they have to work in the morning, let alone in another city without a car to take them there (because here in Montreal you do not need a car to live happily if you work in the city). Add in the day off afterwards (certain folks I know would not be paid for said day off) and it changes things a bit. Starts to be a bit of a hassle for those not as devout as I am.

confused13.gif

I'm right there with ya! I live in Memphis and St. Louis is as close as they are coming to Memphis. The show is on a Sunday and I have to work the next day, so we're driving back home Sunday night after the show. Not to mention that I don't know anyone who is a hardcore Rush fan like me that lives around here. My friends that I used to go to shows with (and who are also big Rush fans) have moved away(we're all in our 40's now and doing the family thing).

So yeah, there is some sacrifice involved. Such is life in the real world.