Do you name your instruments?

The Big Money

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 29 2010, 01:22 PM)
I've not read this thread, but I can only imagine the number of male appendage jokes.

I don't but I'm thinking of giving my Les Paul Goldtop a name. I know it's a bit quirky but it's all in good fun.

There is two names I'm thinking of. One is Mona because this guitar screams and moans - just like the girl I once knew. Although it would be a little weird naming my guitar after someone who hurt me a lot. Maybe a reminder to myself to stay true to myself. The other is Alba which means dawn or sunshine. Goes very well with the color. Alba is also the name of my niece who was born after my father died, from whom I inherited the guitar. A reminder that even in the darkest hour there's joy to look forward to.

What do you think? Does this guitar look like a Mona or Alba? ;)

12237952205_519ef90183_c.jpg

• Like 1

It looks like Goldie. :P

My Lester (when not referred to as Lester) is Gigi. For Gibson Guitar, and/or other females with such initials.

My Lester (when not referred to as Lester) is Gigi. For Gibson Guitar, and/or other females with such initials.

My first thought was Goldie too, but that just seemed to easy ;)

Yeah, well it is gold... Just effing around. :) Then again my 4001 is Ricky where my Ric 360-12 is usually "George" for Harrison. These are my only "named" instruments. Aside from my Black Beauty snare which is of course "Blackie" even though it's more shiny than black. It is my main snare though. My Geddy is Geddy, obviously but my main bass is another J that I've monkeed with which is the Jim Diaz model (my name). When Geddy played one like it I have a picture which I put next to me playing his model so I have a juxtaposition of me playing my Ged with him playing his Jim. :) Aside from that I usually denote instruments by model (Sheraton, Martin SPD [sometimes just D-16], Stratty, etc.).

Alba seems like a partial name to me. Like "Alba-_____" or something. I like the idea of Mona. Not for moans but the Mona Lisa.

• Like 1

Sol, maybe? Spanish for "sun", but sounds like the English word "soul".
  • Like 1

Hahaha, what a great thread!

My first bass, a red JP-90 is "Diggslayer". At the time I was replacing a bass player whose last name was Diggs. Childish I know, but hey I was 17 so it's all good haha.

My 6 string bass is called "White Doug" after the white Doug from The Hangover.

My main guitar is called "Davelectro", and it's a Danelectro 56-U2 re-issue. See what I did there??? XD

The other ones don't have names.

I don't give them names, but I call them names when they don't make the sounds I want them to. Things like "you dirty bastard" and "you horrible bitch."

I don't ever refer to people by these names, so it gives me an outlet.

• Like 1

Sol, maybe? Spanish for "sun", but sounds like the English word "soul".

Sol is the danish word for sun too. But the pronunciation will feel weird for a danish guy :)

Yeah, well it is gold... Just effing around. :) Then again my 4001 is Ricky where my Ric 360-12 is usually "George" for Harrison. These are my only "named" instruments. Aside from my Black Beauty snare which is of course "Blackie" even though it's more shiny than black. It is my main snare though. My Geddy is Geddy, obviously but my main bass is another J that I've monkeed with which is the Jim Diaz model (my name). When Geddy played one like it I have a picture which I put next to me playing his model so I have a juxtaposition of me playing my Ged with him playing his Jim. :) Aside from that I usually denote instruments by model (Sheraton, Martin SPD [sometimes just D-16], Stratty, etc.).

Alba seems like a partial name to me. Like "Alba-_____" or something. I like the idea of Mona. Not for moans but the Mona Lisa.

Back to your earlier thought, "Alba" has an artistic connection. "La Dama del Alba" is a famous work of art.
  • Like 1

Lock and Mock, since I own two BC Riches, one a Warlock, the other a Mockingbird.

280227_4260680846466_2130230456_o.jpg

Two very fitting names :)

Dude nice! I got mine for free out of my buddy at work's car trunk. I guess it was in there for years and all it needed was new strings :)

It's on this lol....

Back to your earlier thought, "Alba" has an artistic connection. "La Dama del Alba" is a famous work of art.

Now I like the though of Alba even more. The Lady Of The Dawn :)

• Like 1

some not all.. not so much to name them but I jsut refer to them as such.

the rest I dont.

"the tank" its a real heavy strat and built like a tank. I swear its just slightly larger than a normal strat...

6895098755_1be54a1f92_b.jpg

Oscar i.e oscar the grouch

8372463544_31085118dc_b.jpg

the bowling ball for obvious reasons...

8408988460_e40224b9fc_b.jpg

"Ubi Obi"

17041961955_5de08ec16c_b.jpg

Edited by boofie

Jesse Cook – my classical Yamaha guitar

Dave-one of my electric guitars, named after Dave Navarro

Fieldy – my bass, named after the bassist from Korn

Trent-my flute, named after Trent Reznor

Klaus-my Glockenspiel, named after Klaus Meine from the Scorpions

I haven't named any yet, but I want to. I usually call my Danelectros Dano and I've thought about naming my Jazz Bass Jazzy. Although I once named one of my sims Rick Backer.