YYZ solo/Possible Spoiler

Here's my question...

Been listening to MP on pretty much a loop, and, of course, YYZ falls pretty much right in the middle.

Now, in times past YYZ sets off the drum solo of the evening. If Neil lays into YYZ and then continues on to the full solo, does that then negate MOVING PICTURES IN ITS ENTIRETY?

Or, does Neil do YYZ, and then later (or before) we get the whole onslaught, without pieces of YYZ included? How does this change the solo?

This also begs the question where you think the album will fall within the show. Beginning? End? Middle?

Just sharing some thoughts...discuss.

QUOTE (OldRod @ Apr 20 2010, 01:25 PM)
The last couple of tours they have used Main Monkey Business to lead into the drum solo and done YYZ at the end, or even in the encore.

I don't see it as a problem smile.gif

I think you meant to say MalNar...leading into the drum solo.

Monkey Business was played in the first set, from what I remember.

Since they're showcasing Moving Pictures in its entirety I'm assuming they'll leave YYZ as is and the drum solo will follow MalNar like last tour.

My guess (and hope) is that they will play MP to start the second set, in the same order as the album, with no drum solo during YYZ.

Only caveat is, I think this would be tough for Neil. Even coming off an intermission, and with no drum solo, I'd imagine TS/RB/YYZ/LL all in a row will be pretty tough to pull off (endurance-wise).

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Apr 20 2010, 01:36 PM)
My guess (and hope) is that they will play MP to start the second set, in the same order as the album, with no drum solo during YYZ.

Only caveat is, I think this would be tough for Neil. Even coming off an intermission, and with no drum solo, I'd imagine TS/RB/YYZ/LL all in a row will be pretty tough to pull off (endurance-wise).

My guess is Moving Pictures will come at the end of the 1st set, but who knows! Should be a lot of great surprises on this tour, can't wait! common001.gif

So are you expecting it to be played in order all together?

I don't know that I expect that....I believe TCE will open the 2nd set (and brang the house down). I could still see Tom Sawyer opening (again) and even moving right to RB and maybe even on to Limelight...that would/will be a killer open. I think they open with those 3 and then move into some older stuff.

Can't wait.

2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 20 2010, 01:31 PM)
The last couple of tours they have used Main Monkey Business to lead into the drum solo and done YYZ at the end, or even in the encore.

I don't see it as a problem smile.gif

I think you meant to say MalNar...leading into the drum solo.

Monkey Business was played in the first set, from what I remember.

Doh, you're right! /facepalm

I meant Malignant Narcissism, not Main Monkey Business doh.gif

Just because they've promised "Moving Pictures in its entirety" that doesn't mean it has to be all in a row in order. Now, I think the odds are better than 50/50 that it will be played completely in order but the songs could be split up or played in a row with the intermission or encore in the middle and they will still have played MP in its entirety.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 20 2010, 03:26 PM)
Just because they've promised "Moving Pictures in its entirety" that doesn't mean it has to be all in a row in order. Now, I think the odds are better than 50/50 that it will be played completely in order but the songs could be split up or played in a row with the intermission or encore in the middle and they will still have played MP in its entirety.

I'm pretty sure I take it to mean MP in its entirety, first to last song in order. But as mentioned...lots of surprises could be in store. smile.gif

I agree with PariahDog...it could be tough to pull off.

RE: MalNar...of course. In my mind...YYZ is always the solo...has been since the beginning of my RUSH fandom. forgive my selective memory

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Apr 20 2010, 03:09 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 20 2010, 03:26 PM)

I'm pretty sure I take it to mean MP in its entirety, first to last song in order. But as mentioned...lots of surprises could be in store. smile.gif

I agree with PariahDog...it could be tough to pull off.

RE: MalNar...of course. In my mind...YYZ is always the solo...has been since the beginning of my RUSH fandom. forgive my selective memory

This would be an ideal scenario involving MP during the show ...

Late in the first set, Rush cranks up Side 1 of MP with Tom Sawyer, followed by Red Barchetta, YYZ (no drum solo) and Limelight to end the first half of the show.

Geddy then says they're taking a break for some brain surgery and tells the crowd to get ready for Side 2, causing quite a buzz during intermission.

The guys come back, and we go nuts when hear the opening sounds of The Camera Eye. Witch Hunt is next and then it ends with Vital Signs.

Edited by tupelobarchetta

QUOTE (KevinDallas @ Apr 20 2010, 01:35 PM)
Since they're showcasing Moving Pictures in its entirety I'm assuming they'll leave YYZ as is and the drum solo will follow MalNar like last tour.

Yes, the odds are very strong that this will happen.

I know this will never happen and is probably not a very popular opinion but I have seen about 10 more Peart solo's in my life than I needed to.

I would love if Neil moved out of the 70's and dropped the solo altogether. On second thought I am not sure when I would take my piss break then.

The last couple of tours they have used Main Monkey Business to lead into the drum solo

It was One tour. S&A. Two legs, but S&A

Edited by metaldad

It was One tour. S&A

(By the way, it was MalNar as someone corrected above) but I'm with you, I consider the S&A tour to be one tour but I think some people count each leg as a separate tour. I don't agree with that definition but I'm pretty sure that's what's happening here.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 20 2010, 07:53 PM)
It was One tour. S&A

(By the way, it was MalNar as someone corrected above) but I'm with you, I consider the S&A tour to be one tour but I think some people count each leg as a separate tour. I don't agree with that definition but I'm pretty sure that's what's happening here.

Then they should look at the back of their tour shirt were it has S&A on it laugh.gif

forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Drum solo has come out of YYZ since 1989 on the Presto tour... Since then, it's come out of "where's My Thing", Leave that thing alone, MalNar etc... YYZ has been played on it's own.

Matt

forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Drum solo has come out of YYZ since 1989 on the Presto tour... Since then, it's come out of "where's My Thing", Leave that thing alone, MalNar etc... YYZ has been played on it's own.

Matt

That's correct.

Then they should look at the back of their tour shirt were it has S&A on it 

Like I said, I'm with you. smile.gif In fact I've always thought it was a little ridiculous that people separate some of those tours in the middle part of their career into things like the "Signals warm-up tour" followed by the "Signals tour" followed by the Grace Under Pressure warm-up tour" followed by the "Grace Under Pressure tour".

It's just silly. The Signals warm-up tour was simply the last leg of the MP tour, basically a coda. It lasted 2 weeks and it was the exact same setlist as the MP tour except for one song. The Grace Under Pressure Warm-up tour was simply the last part of the Signals tour but with a few previews of GUP songs. It lasted from September 18 until September 23. There have been other examples of this. There was a major 1st leg for the Test For Echo tour followed by a long winter break and then a second leg the following year, but it was still the same freaking tour as far as I'm concerned.

QUOTE (Syrinx Priest @ Apr 20 2010, 07:13 PM)
I know this will never happen and is probably not a very popular opinion but I have seen about 10 more Peart solo's in my life than I needed to.

I would love if Neil moved out of the 70's and dropped the solo altogether. On second thought I am not sure when I would take my piss break then.

Heretic! dazed025.gif

I'd like to see the last 4 songs of the first set to be Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ and Limelight. Then take a break and open the second set with Camera Eye, Witch Hunt and Vital Signs.

Just like listening to the old album.

smile.gif

QUOTE (Phantom @ Apr 20 2010, 09:33 PM)
I'd like to see the last 4 songs of the first set to be Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ and Limelight. Then take a break and open the second set with Camera Eye, Witch Hunt and Vital Signs.

Just like listening to the old album.

smile.gif

That's not a bad idea!

QUOTE (Syrinx Priest @ Apr 20 2010, 07:13 PM)

I can agree with this - I liked it when the solo was a couple of minutes in the middle of a song (YYZ worked GREAT for this in '81).

Remove the 8+ minutes of a drum solo and we could get something like Jacob's Ladder or A Farewell to Kings in there.

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Apr 20 2010, 01:05 PM)
Here's my question...

Been listening to MP on pretty much a loop, and, of course, YYZ falls pretty much right in the middle.

Now, in times past YYZ sets off the drum solo of the evening. If Neil lays into YYZ and then continues on to the full solo, does that then negate MOVING PICTURES IN ITS ENTIRETY?

Or, does Neil do YYZ, and then later (or before) we get the whole onslaught, without pieces of YYZ included? How does this change the solo?

This also begs the question where you think the album will fall within the show. Beginning? End? Middle?

Just sharing some thoughts...discuss.

This is the time machine - I hope that means old school with a drum solo coming off YYZ.