The Official Riverside Thread

Anyone got the 2 disk version? The 2nd disk - Day Session - is very interesting. Mostly instrumental, ambient, spacey tracks. The first one (Heavenland) sounds like a cross between early Porcupine Tree and Tangerine Dream.

I've got the 2 disc version but I haven't listened to the Day Sessions cd yet - too absorbed with the main album at the moment (with occasional diversions into the new Maiden).

I love the Night Sessions cd that came with Shrine of New Generation Slaves, though, so I'm really looking forward to hearing this one.

Anyone got the 2 disk version? The 2nd disk - Day Session - is very interesting. Mostly instrumental, ambient, spacey tracks. The first one (Heavenland) sounds like a cross between early Porcupine Tree and Tangerine Dream.

I've got the 2 disc version but I haven't listened to the Day Sessions cd yet - too absorbed with the main album at the moment (with occasional diversions into the new Maiden).

I love the Night Sessions cd that came with Shrine of New Generation Slaves, though, so I'm really looking forward to hearing this one.

I haven't heard that one. Will have to check it out.

I just recently revisited Riverside - I had sampled them back around 2006 and they just didn't strike me then, I suppose in a way I wrote them off as sort of a "Dream Theater lite" (not sure what songs I had listened to...) but I know that how I accept new music depends so heavily on my current mood and other trends in my listening. So, in anticipation of the new album, I sampled "Second Life Syndrome" and found myself quite liking it. It seems to have more "Tool - like" qualities than DT, but I like the arrangements, vocals, and vibe of it. So, then I decide to pick up this new album (Love, Fear & the Time Machine). I can't say that it has hit with me yet - obviously quite different (as others have stated more "mature") I find it all kinda bland. Not very adventurous - some nice melodies, and perhaps some trance inducing repetition (though that doesn't strike me, unless I am in the mood for that) - but so many missing elements. I will give it some more listens at different times, but at the moment I am a bit disappointed with it. :|

Totally depends on what you're listening for. The new album will EASILY disappoint fans who love primarily their ADHD album, for instance. Sounds nothing like it. They push entirely different buttons. I think I love this though because each album has its own fingerprint. A soundscape for a particular mood.

I think it's the same thing that's striking Duda that struck Steven Wilson....getting a bit weary of the "metal" aspects of everything and pushing melody and harmony more. As a fan of both, this doesn't disappoint me. What I'm not a huge fan of is really long and ambient instrumentals. While I like some of Duda's solo project, Lunatic Soul, most of the meandering pieces bore me. I like songs to be songs....and have some degree of structure. Just my own taste. Based on comments I'd heard from the band, I expected the new album to be a lot like Lunatic Soul, but thankfully it's not.

• Like 1

Totally depends on what you're listening for. The new album will EASILY disappoint fans who love primarily their ADHD album, for instance. Sounds nothing like it. They push entirely different buttons. I think I love this though because each album has its own fingerprint. A soundscape for a particular mood.

I think it's the same thing that's striking Duda that struck Steven Wilson....getting a bit weary of the "metal" aspects of everything and pushing melody and harmony more. As a fan of both, this doesn't disappoint me. What I'm not a huge fan of is really long and ambient instrumentals. While I like some of Duda's solo project, Lunatic Soul, most of the meandering pieces bore me. I like songs to be songs....and have some degree of structure. Just my own taste. Based on comments I'd heard from the band, I expected the new album to be a lot like Lunatic Soul, but thankfully it's not.

Very true! I will say that repeated listens has improved my impression of the new one. It is so different - best not listened to side-by-side with the older work, at least at first. Like you said, if you're in love with one of the heavier works, this is not going to hit the same spot.

I experienced the same thing with Opeth years ago - I finally came around to love the death metal aspects of their older work (even the growling! lol!) and then they shifted away from the metal aspects - which at first was quite startling, but eventually I came around to find it really cool as well. Steven Wilson is another great example - though his solo work was more automatic for me, I did miss the metal elements of Porcupine Tree.

I do have to say that overall, I prefer music that has a broad dynamic range, diverse sonic texture/contrast, in addition to stellar musicianship. Whereas some of the earlier Riverside left my head spinning with some of these dramatic changes, the new stuff is just more streamlined flow and not as diverse within itself - but it is still well constructed and represents a contrast to their other work.

• Like 1

Well said cygnify. I've listened to the new Riverside every day since it's release. Loved the first listen. Different? Yes. Bad? No. I will listen to this release a lot in the following years, and be happy. As such can't wait for the next album from this excellent band.

Very true! I will say that repeated listens has improved my impression of the new one. It is so different - best not listened to side-by-side with the older work, at least at first. Like you said, if you're in love with one of the heavier works, this is not going to hit the same spot.

I experienced the same thing with Opeth years ago - I finally came around to love the death metal aspects of their older work (even the growling! lol!) and then they shifted away from the metal aspects - which at first was quite startling, but eventually I came around to find it really cool as well. Steven Wilson is another great example - though his solo work was more automatic for me, I did miss the metal elements of Porcupine Tree.

I do have to say that overall, I prefer music that has a broad dynamic range, diverse sonic texture/contrast, in addition to stellar musicianship. Whereas some of the earlier Riverside left my head spinning with some of these dramatic changes, the new stuff is just more streamlined flow and not as diverse within itself - but it is still well constructed and represents a contrast to their other work.

Great post.

New to Riverside, picked up Shrine and have the new one in the mailbox sometime today. I like Shrine A LOT, great variety of moods and styles. I definitely see the Porcupine Tree comparisons.
  • Like 1

Son, I guess its safe to say everyone is happy with the shift in sound on the new one?

Personally, I think it is now one of my fav releases by these guys. Imo they kinda reminda a little of anathema on the new one. That is saying alot for me, cuz i love me some anathema

• Like 2

I'm a bit surprised by the positive reaction (though I agree) because going softer and more melodic is not always the most popular directional shift (see Baroness and negative fan reaction to Yellow And Green). I love where Riverside have gone on the past two albums. Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 1

I have to bump this because "Time machine" is easily my favourite album at the moment. Can't stop listening to it. EARL! Listen to this s*it! NOW!!

It's the second best album 2015, no doubt. :smoke:

Just listening to it again and it's growing really quick. Love it.

• Like 1

I have to bump this because "Time machine" is easily my favourite album at the moment. Can't stop listening to it. EARL! Listen to this s*it! NOW!!

Do you guys do a top 5 release thread for year here?

Do you guys do a top 5 release thread for year here?

We try, but then, usually around half December, Earl walks in and makes 6 threads all in caps about HIS album of the year and then it becomes the forum album of the year. :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol:

• Like 1

what do you have at #1?

• Like 1

what do you have at #1?

At the moment it's Meliora from Ghost.

• Like 1

Really digging this disc now - I did a complete reversal after the first couple listens. It's owning my playlist.

I ended up going backwards and started listening to their older stuff and can't bring myself to come back to Love, Fear. Their other material is just more my speed. If I want mopey I'd put on some radiohead, SW, or PT.

Edited by stoopid

Saw Riverside last week at the Islington Assembly Hall in London. Great gig, the new material sounds fantastic live, especially Saturate Me. Escalator Shrine stole the show again, for me.

Set list:

Lost (Why Should I Be Frightened by a Hat?)

Feel Like Falling

Hyperactive

Conceiving You

02 Panic Room

The Depth of Self-Delusion

Saturate Me

Egoist Hedonist

We Got Used to Us

Discard Your Fear

Escalator Shrine

The Same River

Found (The Unexpected Flaw of Searching)

• Like 1

Shit, I forgot this was supposed to be released today. I've been listening to A LOT of Riverside in the past year. Such a great band. Fractured was great too. Looking forward to this. Still can't believe Piotr died, like months after I truly discovered this band. This sounds good though, I'm sure they found someone with similar musical sensibilities to replace him. Other bands were able to carry on without a key member (Yes has done this 10 or 100 times over the course of that band's history :P ). That lead near the end was seriously good/creative.