The Official Riverside Thread

QUOTE (rummut71 @ Nov 18 2010, 12:11 PM)
Riverside and their production sound are doing quite well without the need for Steven Wilson... ADHD sounded f*cking incredible.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

And yeah, Riverside was only here for NEARfest last June. There was a 50/50 shot I would have been able to go, and I lost the coin flip. Odds are you will have to go to Europe if you want to see them, but perhaps someday that will change... It would be quite an undertaking for them to go around the US on a tour and not lose money! They are not known enough to carry it off by themselves, and would need a tow from a much larger band...

What about a summer festival tour? There's got to be something they can do. Sadly, they likely won't get a broad enough fan base in America without touring first. I understand its tough, but man, they are coming up on ten years as a band.

QUOTE (the oaks @ Nov 18 2010, 12:01 PM)
I love PT, but if Riverside opened for them, they'd blow PT out of the water. Why would Steven Wilson want that? And as far as Wilson doing a project with Riverside, i.e producing their next album, well, ADHD was so amazingly awesome, I'd rather they work with that producer again, and let SW focus on his next solo album and PT's next studio album.

I guess just for the sake of an even more solid concert? The bands tend to share a somewhat common fan base. I'm not sure that it would have to come down to some competetive thing really. Why not just two amazing bands instead of one great band and some other band we've never heard of, aren't impressed watching, and will forget about tomorrow?

It's true they both produce great (and great sounding) records. More than I was suggesting Riverside NEEDS Wilson as a producer, I was merely suggesting that perhaps a Duda/Wilson solo project (like Wilson/Ackerfeldt) would be cool.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 18 2010, 01:17 PM)
I love PT, but if Riverside opened for them, they'd blow PT out of the water.  Why would Steven Wilson want that?  And as far as Wilson doing a project with Riverside, i.e producing their next album, well, ADHD was so amazingly awesome, I'd rather they work with that producer again, and let SW focus on his next solo album and PT's next studio album.

I guess just for the sake of an even more solid concert? The bands tend to share a somewhat common fan base. I'm not sure that it would have to come down to some competetive thing really. Why not just two amazing bands instead of one great band and some other band we've never heard of, aren't impressed watching, and will forget about tomorrow?

It's true they both produce great (and great sounding) records. More than I was suggesting Riverside NEEDS Wilson as a producer, I was merely suggesting that perhaps a Duda/Wilson solo project (like Wilson/Ackerfeldt) would be cool.

Agreed, agreed, and...Agreed!

I love PT, but if Riverside opened for them, they'd blow PT out of the water. Why would Steven Wilson want that? And as far as Wilson doing a project with Riverside, i.e producing their next album, well, ADHD was so amazingly awesome, I'd rather they work with that producer again, and let SW focus on his next solo album and PT's next studio album.

Expound on how you think Riverside would blow PT out of the water.

I've heard a lot from Riverside and I like it well enough but nothing I've heard comes close to what PT puts down. I'm sure it's all just a matter of opinion and taste.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Nov 18 2010, 10:27 PM)

I've heard a lot from Riverside and I like it well enough but nothing I've heard comes close to what PT puts down. I'm sure it's all just a matter of opinion and taste.

I don't mean in the least to start a flame, since I love both bands, buuuuut, at least vocally, Duda beats Wilson every day (the vocals are PT's weakest point in my book).

That said, PT live are a force of nature. Still have to see Riverside live, but from what you can see on YT, they surely must be reckoned with.

I'm all for a shared bill!! laugh.gif

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Nov 18 2010, 04:04 PM)
QUOTE (tjtull @ Nov 18 2010, 10:27 PM)

I've heard a lot from Riverside and I like it well enough but nothing I've heard comes close to what PT puts down.  I'm sure it's all just a matter of opinion and taste.

I don't mean in the least to start a flame, since I love both bands, buuuuut, at least vocally, Duda beats Wilson every day (the vocals are PT's weakest point in my book).

That said, PT live are a force of nature. Still have to see Riverside live, but from what you can see on YT, they surely must be reckoned with.

I'm all for a shared bill!! laugh.gif

I don't know, I prefer SW's vocals to Duda's. Duda has a certain accent on a lot of his stuff that I find distracting (sometimes pleasantly so, sometimes not). Then again, I've always favored British singers. So, take that FWIW...probably not much other than an opinion.

As far as live performances go. I've seen PT many many times and if Riverside comes close to a PT show, it truly must be something to behold. Since I've never seen Riverside live, I'll reserve judgment on that. I'll just say I'm skeptical.

On a musical front, I also much prefer PT. Their style is geared a lot more to what I like. And again this is just a matter of opinion.

I just don't think someone can definitively say that Riverside could blow PT out of the water. After all, it's all subjective. To my ears/eyes, I don't see it happening.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Nov 18 2010, 03:27 PM)
I love PT, but if Riverside opened for them, they'd blow PT out of the water.  Why would Steven Wilson want that?  And as far as Wilson doing a project with Riverside, i.e producing their next album, well, ADHD was so amazingly awesome, I'd rather they work with that producer again, and let SW focus on his next solo album and PT's next studio album.

It's different. I think Riverside is truly more progressive in the cliched sense of "progressive"(arrangement; changes; time signatures, etc)...certainly and largely heavier for the most part. Right now I'm more into them because it's newer to me and I'm just in that groove.

I think there's overall better musicianship in Porcupine Tree, but Riverside is amazing live (on DVD at least) as well.

Seriously...Duda and Wilson I think could make some brilliant shit together. They remind me of one another in many ways and yet also they're very different.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 18 2010, 04:40 PM)
The great thing about Steven is that he's neither the best guitarist nor vocalist ever, sure enough...but boy the man knows what to do with each on his songs. His solos are almost never complex, but they're nearly ALWAYS perfectly suited for that particular song.

This!! trink39.gif

QUOTE (tjtull @ Nov 18 2010, 03:27 PM)

Its just my opinion, really. I love both bands, and both would be great to see in concert.

I feel that raw energy and musicianship tend to favor Riverside, while songwriting tends to favor PT. But then that is opinion, too.

Thanks to p-d mentioning them in a thread 'way back when, Riverside is my new favorite band. I tell EVERYONE about them - spreading the gospel. And I have yet to have anyone come back and say, "nah, not really my thing." Have made several new disciples.

ADHD was one of 2009's best records... Full stop.

I certainly do not disagree with or dismiss a Mariusz/SW collaboration... SW just has a full plate for the next long time to come. It would also blend into something closer to Lunatic Soul rather than Riverside which some folks do not like. I would think it would be way more atmosphere than crunch.

I ,for one, would sure love to see a tour with both, but just don't see it happening. As far as bands having a pissing contest between each other, that is nonsense... Every time I have seen PT (which is a LOT of times now), they have always been extra supportive to their support act and have no 'We are better than you' agenda, and neither have their fans. (Some Coheed fans acted otherwise for example, but most did not.)

And SLS is a solid effort, but just not as good as Out of Myself IMO... I will spin it right now to see if I still think that is true.

I don't come in this subforum often and haven't read all the way through the thread -

But are there any rumblings/hints of a US tour for Riverside?